Why do we need to be nickeled and dimed?

85 Goblin Priest
It just weirds me out how all these premium features are free and used on a whim on the PTR. When I play on the PTR, I quite literally flop back and forth between races and factions. Its not like these features take someone to manually switch people around.
Its just an additional money sink because Blizz knows people will get bored of their race or faction at some point and will not want to have to reroll. Or get bored of their server.

With the exception of server transfering and perhaps faction change(which should remain a paid service, we don't want servers dying because an entire faction just up and leaves) the character customization and in-faction racial change, name change etc. should be paid with by gold. Escalating amounts, like talent trees.

For example, start character recustomization at 500g and double it every time the person does it.
Name changes at 8k and double it every time, and race changes at 10k, doubling. You could even offer one FREE use of renaming or recustomizing per account instead of all this. Even that small gesture would be grand.

You could make this work with server and faction changes but they would have to be obscenely expensive.

At the very least, paying for it with lots of gold should be an alternative option for some of the primium services ($10 for a name change or you can pay 800g for a name change). There really isn't any justification for attaching a price to these features (arguably except faction switching and server transfer) other than "we like monies."
Sure, you can say "but they're just additional features you don't need them to be able to enjoy WoW to the fullest" all you like, but you can say that about any number of features. Did we need Call to Arms to enjoy WoW to the fullest? Do we need holiday events? We all like these things but you can attach the word primium to just about all of them.

"You dont need 310% flying to enjoy the game, 60% flight speed is fine. Paying $25 to fly faster is simply primium..."
Edited by Thirteen on 5/4/2011 1:32 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Paladin
05/03/2011 11:14 PMPosted by Zarhym
desire to take advantage
85 Blood Elf Warlock
However, I fail to see why a character rename is ten dollars, why a realm transfer is 25 dollars, why a faction change is 30 dollars, and why a character re-customization is 15 dollars. It makes little sense to me why we would have to pay those kind of fees in order to play the game how we want on top of a 15 dollar subscription. If the prices were divided in half, Blizzard would still make money.

because the game was more expensive when you had to waste time grinding a new alt every time you wanted to play on a new realm, faction, race or were stuck with a %@!!ing pink nightelf for 4 %@!!ing years.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/03/2011 11:35 PMPosted by Solaru
More character slots maybe...$10 for 2 more maybe...hint hint.

I really like this idea! Go Go Go Blizz.
85 Human Paladin
people dont realize how easy it is to start a new toon. i mean look at this toon im posting with, i created him on 4/16/2011.

it is now 5/4/2011 and i have a full set of honor gear and my vicious gladiator sword.

i hit level 85 on 4/22/2011 and i had cataclysmically superior on 4/29/2011

the game is not as big a time commitment anymore. and thats a GOOD thing.

yeah thats right 1-85 took 6 days IRL.

and no i didnt have any recruit a friend boosts or powerleveling, i didnt even run dungeons i just quested the whole way.

you can do it too
85 Human Warrior
If they were gouging for you something you HAD to do, that'd be one thing.

While they could certainly take a little more pain out of northrend, levelling really is the simplest it's ever been, and gearing is as well...for all roles.
90 Human Paladin
people dont realize how easy it is to start a new toon. i mean look at this toon im posting with, i created him on 4/16/2011.

it is now 5/4/2011 and i have a full set of honor gear and my vicious gladiator sword.

and no i didnt have any recruit a friend boosts or powerleveling, i didnt even run dungeons i just quested the whole way.

you can do it too

I know some people are able to sit in their house for six days straight, but those with other committments cannot.

Insults said, some people don't wish to reroll a character and get geared all over again. Not only do you sacrifice your achievements and such, but if you roll DPS, you have to deal with queues as well.

It should be free.
85 Human Paladin

you can do it too

I know some people are able to sit in their house for six days straight, but those with other committments cannot.

Insults said, some people don't wish to reroll a character and get geared all over again. Not only do you sacrifice your achievements and such, but if you roll DPS, you have to deal with queues as well.

It should be free.

ill grant that i dont have responsibilities and play 12+ hours per day but even so, it was 3 days /played to 85. used to take at least 7 to get to 80 before patch 4.0 and in TBC it took around 12 to get to 70. and in vanilla it was between 12-20 to get to 60.

3 days played is nothing, thats 72 hours. divide that by 4 and u get 18 so even if u only play 4 hours a day thats still less time than it takes to get the crusader title.
85 Human Warrior

you can do it too

It should be free.

No. it shouldnt.

If you don't wish to deal with the alternatives, it means you are willing to pay the price the offer.

85 Orc Warrior
Why do people always mindlessly defend Blizzard? These prices are completely arbitrary and have no correlation to the cost of executing. They are not priced like this to keep people from "abusing", I assure you Blizzard wants all of us to use these features as much as humanly possible.

Here is a protip to you Blizzard, if you cut all the prices in half you would end up making more money. It would be much easier for me personally to justify spending $25 bucks or so for both a faction and server transfer. Maybe $5 bucks because I'm tired of my crappy name?

I guarantee there would more impulse spenders. Right now $55 bucks isn't exactly impulse spending its a new video game, two weeks worth of gas, or groceries for the week.

Bleh.
85 Night Elf Rogue
05/04/2011 02:18 AMPosted by Bellicosus
Why do people always mindlessly defend Blizzard?

It's easy to defend someone if you only see certain sides to the story :)
90 Human Paladin

No. it shouldnt.

If you don't wish to deal with the alternatives, it means you are willing to pay the price the offer.

You're right. When something is wrong, it means I'm always willing to deal with the alternative. Change? Na. Just deal with it.
I dont really mind the prices... But how about some middle ground if we want to switch Server and Faction?

cant you just make it the cost of the higher one? or more then either but less then both together?

For the most part people change server to play with IRL friends... and they are not always the same faction. Why hit us on both?
85 Night Elf Hunter
Totalbiscuit called, he wants his rant back.
46 Worgen Druid
Economics, as the goblins are always saying in the game "Time is money". There is truth to that.

It costs money to pay a person to write the code to produce the game. And it costs money to pay a person to monitor and handle extra requests like name changes, and character customization changes. Therefore it costs money to make those changes to make those changes. So by charging a nominal fee it balances out the costs and return of investment.

When you think about it, it costs much more than $15 a month really. If you want to break down your budget think of it on these terms. You have to pay your electric bill to operate your computer (or charge your laptop's battery). Often times an electric bill can run about $100 a month (depending on the season). Then you have to pay your internet bill so you can have access to WoW, Cable or DSL? Cable is more expensive than Dial-up defiantly. THEN ... you are paying for WoW. So, really the cost of this game is sort of a recreational item.

There are plenty of Free play games out there. If the price of WoW is too much for one's budget. Then perhaps switching to those would be the alternative. But you still have to pay your electric and internet bill, or no games at all.

Stuff costs money.
Unless it is truely a toon you cannot do without, it is cheapest to re-roll a new one and start fresh.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
sustain our business, and keep focusing on making this the best game possible. :)

2 wrongs don't make a right!

sustain your business? = 15 million $15 subscriptions per month? and this is just one of your games

make this the best game possible = not possible since its well, not possible

85 Undead Mage
I like the bit where a digital mount cost $10.

Honsitly though,if blizzard releases more of this crap for noobs to buy it can only be a good thing, more money = more staff, faster servers, more content, better GMs, bigger patches.

i think they should release more vanity items, like a ring, or a top hat. a little tricycle. TGC style items (not actual tgc stuff) should be buyable from the blizzard store.
90 Undead Rogue

Zarhym, he just served you.

Also, since OP complained, the new subscription fee is $20. devs wanted a pizza party, GM(General Motors) style

PS: I love how everyone thinks that the $15 in subscription fees you get from everyone is pure profit, cuz wow has NO overhead costs what so ever, and Blizz doesn't pay their employees at all.
Edited by Finalflurry on 5/4/2011 4:09 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]