Why do we need to be nickeled and dimed?

85 Night Elf Druid
They do not factor into what you get for buying the game/expansions and paying monthly for access to the serers

I believe the OP's point is that we know this BUT it should be. We shouldn't have to pay for these services or at the very least they should not be so high and maybe multiple changes should all fall under one fee. For example if you are both changing realm and faction then just charge the fee once not for each change.

Well I guess we should be happy they don't charge separately for late delivered content (ie. patches).
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I don't mind some of the premium services -- faction changes and name changes for example. Those are things you should put thought into when you create a character, and they should matter.

What I don't like costing money is realm transfers. Or, rather, I've always felt that players should be allotted a certain number of free realm transfers. Perhaps once every five months or something.

The reason I say this is simple: WoW is a huge game with tons of servers and even more players. The atmosphere and community on each realm may change dramatically over time, and it can be really hard (and expensive) to coordinate IRL friends and get them all playing on the same servers.
80 Night Elf Druid
I don't think this question can be satisfactorially answered.

We all know it would be possible to provide most of these services at such a low cost to blizzard as to be implentable for free.

However, the rationale for not doing so is not being shared. Is it to add to profitability? Is it because doing these features well enough to be smooth and free has warts in the way of the design? Is it to acclimate the player base into paying for frills? Are there other reasons still?

Any number of things are possible, and it could be design internals, unshared market strategy, or any number of related rationales for not sharing the drivers for these charges.

I think any number of players will just never be satisfied with any answer that it's possible to give, even (especially?) a frank confession of the mix of reasons behind the scene. That too would dissatisfy many.

So we will get these "premium features are there at your option" sort of non-answers. If it really bothers you a lot, you can always sign out.

Personally it bothers me "a little". I've made use of one of them, so i was willing to shell out that much, but I'd rather pay extra for something that made sense to me, instead of something that seems arbitrary.
While I agree there should be a price for these options, I don't think it should ever be higher than the subscription itself, thats just ludicrous.

But I've said too much, the Blizz fanboys will rip me to shreds
90 Orc Warrior
I don't mind some of the premium services -- faction changes and name changes for example. Those are things you should put thought into when you create a character, and they should matter.

What I don't like costing money is realm transfers. Or, rather, I've always felt that players should be allotted a certain number of free realm transfers. Perhaps once every five months or something.

The reason I say this is simple: WoW is a huge game with tons of servers and even more players. The atmosphere and community on each realm may change dramatically over time, and it can be really hard (and expensive) to coordinate IRL friends and get them all playing on the same servers.

I can already see mal'ganis becoming a complete, 100% horde citidal with the free realm transfers. As it is my mates swear the alliance on there are just horde alts.
85 Blood Elf Priest
"we need to make sure there is an appropriate value added to those services so we can sustain them, sustain our business, and keep focusing on making this the best game possible. :)"

You sound like the NFL.

I'm sure most of these services are automated, so I have to agree with the OP that these things are nickle and dimed for no reason other to purely make more money, and the actual costs are minimal to blizzard. Sure you have added things to make the game better, but if you didn't you would loose out to other games that do, so trying to say "Oh you still only pay 15 dollars while we made the game better isn't really IMHO a good argument.

The one thing that does seem frustrating to me (I know this isnt the thread but the theme is nickle and dime) is the cross server BOA. I know its been argued "its really hard" and all to figure out, but with the money they make and the people they have on board I'm sure if they wanted to their would be a solution. The fact of the matter is if they did find a solution, it would take money away from them, because all those people paying for character transfers (to get their boas on other realms) wouldn't be.
90 Tauren Paladin
These are premium services added to better accommodate the wants and needs of players. They do not factor into what you get for buying the game/expansions and paying monthly for access to the serers. By no means do you need any of these premium services to enjoy World of Warcraft gameplay to the fullest extent. Should you desire to take advantage of some extra services to enhance your enjoyment of the game though, they're certainly there for you... if you feel it's worth the price.

We've made countless quality-of-life improvements to the game in terms of content, UI, data storage, character profiles, etc. We've expanded upon what you get for your monthly subscription by leaps and bounds since the game was first released, but the subscription price has not changed.

Everything we do and every service we add costs more money than you might realize. So, if we do occasionally add some premium services which are purely to give you more options for enjoying the game how you want (changing your realm, faction, race, name, physical appearance, etc.), we need to make sure there is an appropriate value added to those services so we can sustain them, sustain our business, and keep focusing on making this the best game possible. :)

I should do every thing I want to do now while our Aussie Dollar is kicking America's butt :-)

Oh, don't worry....

I doubt that is going to change anyday soon; heck, if you wait, the Aussie Dollar (and nearly every other currency in the world except those from 3rd world countries) will kick our dollar's butt even more...

But I doubt anyone wants to get into politics here on WoW forums. Jus' saying.
85 Draenei Priest
I spent $50 back in late Wrath to move 2 of my toons from a PvP realm to a PvE realm. Yes, that's steep...but I found it to be worth every penny.

I would like to recustomize the priest. However, I do not find the cost of that to be worthwhile, so it's not going to happen. Might I if they reduced the price? If they dropped it to $5, probably. But if that never happens, I won't lose any sleep over it.
Edited by Tiakatt on 5/4/2011 5:25 AM PDT
85 Night Elf Druid
05/03/2011 11:14 PMPosted by Zarhym
we need to make sure there is an appropriate value added to those services so we can sustain them, sustain our business, and keep focusing on making this the best game possible. :)

Aside from Wow, I can think of very few other things in my life where I've had so much fun, and it's cost so little.
Edited by Jamara on 5/4/2011 5:37 AM PDT
85 Draenei Priest
Personally, I can think of very few things in my life where I've had so much fun, and it's cost me so little.

Jamara: I agree.

When I was on dial-up on an old laptop when I first started playing, internet + my WoW subscription were my entire entertainment budget. And the dial-up internet doubled as news, contact with my family, and a valuable tool for job hunting. The WoW was a concession to the stir-crazy while my husband was out working (factory work) and I was home alone for 10+ hours a day. Some days I was absolutely in tears from loneliness (I'm from a large family) and boredom.

I can't drive for medical reasons, and even if I could just about anything I could have done requires money we just didn't have, as our focus was on rebuilding our 6 month minimum expenses buffer on a pathetic income. And this is a rural city big enough that I live quite far from businesses but small enough that there's no reliable public transit *headdesk*.

I got a lot of value out of that subscription during those months. And it's even better now that I've got a solid broadband connection and a nice desktop computer.
Edited by Tiakatt on 5/4/2011 5:43 AM PDT
90 Tauren Paladin
Personally, I have no problem with the fees, having used the services a few times.

What I WOULD like to see is package deals.

Want to transfer multiple characters to a different server all in one go? $25 for the first character and then $10 for each additional character.

Want to transfer and faction change? That'll be $40.
85 Tauren Paladin
These are premium services added to better accommodate the wants and needs of players. They do not factor into what you get for buying the game/expansions and paying monthly for access to the serers. By no means do you need any of these premium services to enjoy World of Warcraft gameplay to the fullest extent. Should you desire to take advantage of some extra services to enhance your enjoyment of the game though, they're certainly there for you... if you feel it's worth the price.

We've made countless quality-of-life improvements to the game in terms of content, UI, data storage, character profiles, etc. We've expanded upon what you get for your monthly subscription by leaps and bounds since the game was first released, but the subscription price has not changed.

Everything we do and every service we add costs more money than you might realize. So, if we do occasionally add some premium services which are purely to give you more options for enjoying the game how you want (changing your realm, faction, race, name, physical appearance, etc.), we need to make sure there is an appropriate value added to those services so we can sustain them, sustain our business, and keep focusing on making this the best game possible. :)

I don't know of a single person who readily agrees with this stance facing it from a Player point of view. Hundreds of articles have been posted by pundits, players and pontificates alike suggesting alternatives. Some of them still with a cost attached but most of them pointing out facts like the system is automated and costs very little now that it is in place and should generally be free or at least free on a time limited basis to avoid abuse, etc. I'll not rehash them here but feel free to browse the web and see. It was addressed in a relatively recent Azeroth Daily, for example.

We don't have insight into your system but it is difficult to imagine that renaming a character is the equivalent strain on resources that an entire months subscription (or more if paid in bulk) is. Moving a character is even MORE expensive than an entire months subscription! If we were educated as to why this is then maybe we could relate to you position better. Not to mention the condundrum of discussing where the funding of "countless UI improvements" and "what you get for your monthly subscription by leaps and bounds" by implying that "premium" services are paying for these improvements and not by the subscription which is only "access to the serers(sic)." Where do boxed and digital sales of Vanilla WoW and it's expansions factor into this system of paying for UI Improvements and "what we get for (our) monthly sub" fall?

There is an implication that subscriptions alone would not be enough to keep improving WoW, sustain business and make WoW the best it can be. And that the rename, faction change, server transfer services are so costly that they would not be sustainable if you did not charge what they cost now. I know many other MMO's where the cost of renames is actually free, free with "tokens" given out periodically for long term subscribers, or "cheap as free" in that they are less than 2 or 3 dollars American. I understand WoW is on a different scale than any other MMO but it is terrifying to think that, without renames, transfers and faction changes in the $15-$25 range we would not see improvements to the UI and that, in fact, WoW would suffer or need to move to an even MORE expensive monthly rate to survive!

Lastly. I don't think it should be an unmovable, irreconcilable topic to take such a defensive negative stance on. It just seems that stance is very aggressively against any change, so much so that a emoticon smiley was needed to try and lighten the mood at the end of this post. I, again, understand that this CM is famous for being "the cool/mean/rude/snarky one" and putting people in their place to the delight of many forum posters. It's not the route I would take with customers, personally. It is an often made mistake, usually by young folks, to go this route. In my experience, they eventually learn the error of this line of thinking when they are older and more experienced. Age tends to mellow us all and teach the value of seeing things from another's point of view and finding compromises we can all be happy with.

Edit: In fact, the tone and attitude in this post is very different from the post titled "Welcome to the forums. We love you." posted a couple of hours after this response! This post is very "cool" with phrases like "if you feel it's worth it" and "more than you might realize" and the other post is practically wearing it's heart on it's sleeve and trying to get a drum circle singing Kumbaya. Fascinating. I hope the turn of heart continues.
Edited by Brawling on 5/4/2011 5:48 AM PDT
85 Goblin Death Knight
Personally, I have no problem with the fees, having used the services a few times.

Want to transfer multiple characters to a different server all in one go? $25 for the first character and then $10 for each additional character.

Something like this. I have like 4-5 80's on 4-5 different servers due to friends starting, stopping, transferring, etc. I'd like to be able to bring them together at some point in time for less than $100. As it is, I've simply stopped playing them.
85 Human Priest

I like this idea.
05/04/2011 12:40 AMPosted by Elseadrena
Colorblind does nothing for chat text and quest dialogue boxes. Nor does it change the color of mining/herb/fishing nodes (trying looking for a bright yellow dot on a bright yellow section of ground like in Uldum when someone with vision problems has issues with contrasting colors (light color on top of same brigher color and vice versa). A GM tried telling me about this option once, but when I explained my situation and the situations of others what this option fails to address, he directed me to the old Suggestion section.
You can change pretty much every part of the UI using AddOns. This includes changing fonts from the medieval style "Morpheus" to more readable ones like "Arial", etc. and replacing the yellow blips on the minimap with some other colour.

http://www.vranx.com/font.htm
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/blipstick.aspx
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]