Ask the Devs - Questions #7: Professions

(Locked)

Community Manager
Welcome to the World of Warcraft "Ask the Devs" global Q&A. In this thread we'll be collecting questions from you to have answered by our developers. We'll be asking for your question each time a new Ask the Devs Questions thread goes up, having the community vote on them, and posting the answers we receive approximately one week later.

[Status]
Closed. Votes are being tallied and questions sent to the devs.

Here's how this works:
  • Starting at the time this thread is made you can post your World of Warcraft question for the developers.

• When the thread hits the cap (500 posts) no more questions will be allowed.

• About a day later, we'll lock the thread, meaning no more votes will be possible.

• We'll pick out posts with the most votes, collect them with questions from the other regions, and get answers to be posted the following week.

• This process will continue on, with a new question thread going up (weather permitting) and the answers to the previous questions being posted shortly thereafter.

Rules
  • One question per post.

• If your question is answered your character name will be displayed alongside the question.

• Discussion posts are not allowed! If you don't have a question for our developers, you should not post in this thread.

• You can vote for questions at any time while the thread is unlocked.

• A highly rated post does not mean it will be answered, but we'll do our best to answer as many questions as possible.

• Down votes don't count.

Tips
  • Don't post or vote for questions you know we won't answer. We're not going to use these Q&As to announce new features, expansions, or release dates, etc. By the same token, we're not going to answer questions that touch on subjects outside of the game and its design.

• Stay on topic! We’re asking for questions regarding a specific topic, if your question isn’t on that topic it’ll probably be down-voted to obscurity by other posters, and more than likely deleted by us.

• Keep your question concise. One to three sentences should be plenty to explain background and ask a question.

• Vote for any and all questions you would like to see answered.

• All votes count. While you can't see vote #'s, we can. Even if a post is highly rated, your vote still means something to that question (potentially) being answered.
Edited by Kaivax on 5/4/2011 2:58 PM PDT
100 Gnome Mage
As we go deeper into Cataclysm will we see additional high quality flasks added to the game as items stats (int, strength, etc) start to get watered down some just by the natural scaling of new gear and would these require the ever absent "lotus" of Cataclysm?
Edited by Flayre on 5/2/2011 4:10 PM PDT
100 Human Warrior
Are there any plans to re-introduce some of the old world trade-skill recipes that are now unobtainable in Cataclysm ?
Edited by Yohko on 5/2/2011 12:07 PM PDT
100 Dwarf Paladin
Question: Why was Archaeology released in Cataclysm with the Archaeology part missing?

It is a pretty glaring omission.

Archaeology is supposed to be about discovering, preserving, and honoring cultural items found, in order to learn from the past.

Currently we don't do any like that. Instead we are forced to coldly vendor what we don't want. No donation to a museum, no return to the races of origin.

Vendoring is the exact opposite of what we are supposed to be doing, and runs against the spirit of this secondary profession.

An Archaeological element that might bring the "RP" back to MMORPG, would be to let one turn in these items to a museum, or to various factions, for reputation gains. One could even be allowed to donate in the name of some faction one is trying to level up with.

We should be doing something more important with these items.

I should be like, "Mr. Bronzebeard sir, on behalf of the Wildhammer Clan, I present you with the long lost mace of your clan's founder".

Rather, I'm like, "cool, I just dug up a Night Elf relic used by Malfurion Stormrage as he mastered the druidic elements... yeah whatever, I wonder how much silver the goblins will give me for this?
Edited by Unjoiner on 5/2/2011 9:01 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Have you ever considered creating daily quests for professions other than jewelcrafting?
Edited by Superpotion on 5/2/2011 9:02 AM PDT
100 Human Warlock
Do you have plans to change fishing since you only need to skill it up to catch a few non-pool fish?
85 Blood Elf Priest
Will people with a tailoring profession ever see a new (cataclysm?) flying carpet mount?
100 Gnome Mage
Will enchanters ever get the option to create wands again (maybe other caster items as well using a blank template weapon that could be made by blacksmiths), as they tend to be extremely rare outside of the a couple locations and the new ZA/ZG loot tables?
Edited by Flayre on 5/2/2011 10:33 AM PDT
I have wasted too many mats grinding away and not realizing I'd just hit the level cap and needed to go train. Could we get a message to appear (not every time, but perhaps once per session) like this:

Please visit a trainer to continue leveling this profession.

I can imagine that this message would only appear if training were available for your character in the first place, ruling out messages when you're at level 525 or your character level isn't high enough to train up.
88 Blood Elf Paladin
Will we see more "fun" profession craftables added? That is, profession items that are there purely for entertainment, such as Stardust No. 5.
90 Human Mage
Do you have any issues with the frame work of Tailoring? Currently as it stands, it's more cost efficient to sell off the materials required to make Dreamcloth, then it is to use the Dreamcloth to produce epic items. Volatile Elements can be very pricey, and hard to farm for 30 of them. Would you consider dropping the required elements down to 20, or some number around there? If not, are there any other changes you would consider?
88 Human Paladin
Will we ever get to see better buffs from Mining like Herbalism got?

It is a gathering profession but unlike skinning/herbalism, crit is useful for many classes along with the haste herbalism provides. Stamina works for anyone but it doesnt really provide anything extra. If I had a choice I would probably do BS with JC for the best stats possible but at the same time, I need mining in order to provide for Blacksmithing to make some gold.

Can we maybe get something a little more useful? Or have any ideas on this?

EDIT: Minor grammar fixes and added "Or have any ideas on this?"

EDIT: Focused the question on Mining since Herbalism buff was applied without realizing it :p.
Edited by Zarix on 5/2/2011 12:18 PM PDT
90 Human Mage
Engineering Goggles

Is there any chance we'll be able to upgrade our Engineering Goggles for the next raiding tier or construct new and better ones for the next tier? With the invention of cogwheels it seems like you guys seem to be planning something like this. It would be a shame to see Cogwheels become an abandoned idea and never used again.
Edited by Bombmagic on 5/2/2011 9:31 AM PDT
Are there any plans to make Chaos Orbs BoA or even BoE?
Will you provide a way to speed up the acquiring of glyphs usually acquired through research and glyph books? Glyph books (Book of Glyph Mastery) are hard to come by now that people spend so little time in WotLK content.
Edited by Furlqt on 5/2/2011 9:17 AM PDT
Will there be mounts for all of the professions like alchemy and Engineering have?
100 Blood Elf Priest
Fishing and Skinning. These gathering professions receive no XP. Will this change in the future?
Edited by Styk on 5/2/2011 9:26 AM PDT
100 Human Warlock
Have you thought about adding experience to fishing, since its a gathering profession?
90 Troll Priest
Are there any plans to somehow change Archeology and Fishing, which have become notoriously tedious?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]