A song of ice and fire!

90 Undead Rogue
Wit the popularity of the HBO series, I was wondering who out there has read the books. I read them for the first time about a year ago and loved them, and am looking forward to the next book. Glad that I didn't have to wait for it as long as most did tho.
Another thing that has been going through my head is who's Jons mom. After picking the books up again and reading some of the past reflections Ned has about the war when he was younger, I don't think he's Jons father. I think Neds his uncle, and Prince Rhaegar is his true father. This was the secret Ned swore to his sister.
This is my guessing anyway. Hopefully we'll find out more In A dance of dragons.
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Hunter
Finally the new book, which will be about 1,600 pages, will be released this July.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
The book are great the show is just as good. Watching the first two was like seeing the books come to life. Though When they where in Winterfall I was expecting more snow and forest and not as much open space and green. Like you I'm waiting for A dance with Dragons to come out.
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Warlock
Currently about halfway through 'A Feast of Crows'. Can't wait for July and 'A Dance of Dragons'. Such an incredible series. HBO is doing a pretty faithful job with 'A Game of Thrones' - easily one of the best shows in years. My only gripes, so far, are how little the direwolves seem to be shown, and the omission of Bran's dreams.

July needs to get here faster!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
If I remember right Brain doesn't start to dream till later in the books. They did show Brain being saved by his direwolf in the second show.
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Warlock
05/03/2011 11:14 AMPosted by Velthis
If I remember right Brain doesn't start to dream till later in the books. They did show Brain being saved by his direwolf in the second show.

I started the books fairly recently, so 'A Game of Thrones' is pretty fresh in my mind. Bran had the first crow dreams while he was still unconscious after his push from the tower. It was the crow's guidance in those dreams, telling him that he could fly, that woke him up.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Just finished Game of Thrones, after starting it the day of the first episode. I just ordered the box set with all four books for $20 bucks on Amazon. I cannot wait till I get my hands on it!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I have to go back and re-read this before july, but I fear it will be another 4-6 year wait to the next one and I'll have to do it all over again, again.

I understand the getting the show off the ground was a lot of work and made finishing 'A dance with Dragon' difficult, but the series is going to keep going and he will basically always have that burden while trying to finish the series.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
SpA
I LOVE LOVE LOVE These books! been re-reading the series in wait for July and the new Dance with Dragons but i'm already 1/8 of the way through #3 and am gonna be waiting a long time for the last one :P I watched the 1st episode of the new HBO series cause we had a free HBO weekend and it was SOOOO good, they are doing a great job keeping to the books but we can't afford HBO so i'm very sad i can't watch the series weekly, hopefully they'll come out on DVD or netflix streaming or something soon after the 1st season ends! I like your theory about Jon Snow but I just don't think its true...
Who is your favorite character? I think its a toss up for me between Jon Snow and Arya Stark :)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
05/03/2011 10:51 AMPosted by Elgroth
Prince Rhaegar is his true father

I have long had this same thought. Since certain other people are no longer in contention for the crown, Jon seems a likely candidtate. If Rhaegar is in fact his father than he could marry Dany (got to have that incest) and amke a legitimate claim for the throne as well as having plenty of troops to pull it off.
Reply Quote
05/03/2011 11:14 AMPosted by Velthis

Ive only been able to see the first episode, so I dont know if Ned's reached Kings Landing yet but in the books Brans dreams about what happens on the trip down there.
Reply Quote
05/03/2011 12:06 PMPosted by Straasha
I have to go back and re-read this before july, but I fear it will be another 4-6 year wait to the next one and I'll have to do it all over again, again.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ive been waiting 6yrs so far :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
These books are some of the best fantasy around. I can't wait until July. Sadly I don't currently have access to HBO, hope they get released on DVD at some point.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Currently starting A feast for crows.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
05/03/2011 11:58 PMPosted by Vàti
Currently starting A feast for crows.

Same, I'm about a hundred pages in and can't wait to finish.

(side note) I believe the writer has a perverse joy in killing off the character(s) we grow attached to while making us empathize with the ones we love to hate.
Edited by Hammerfall on 5/4/2011 12:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/03/2011 02:41 PMPosted by Straasha
Prince Rhaegar is his true father

I have long had this same thought. Since certain other people are no longer in contention for the crown, Jon seems a likely candidtate. If Rhaegar is in fact his father than he could marry Dany (got to have that incest) and amke a legitimate claim for the throne as well as having plenty of troops to pull it off.

Thought about this talking to another person who's read the books, but it doesnt add up, as I recall the Targaryen bloodline is quite strong, and they all have the telltale signs of tan skin and planitum blonde hair, which Jon does not have, unless the Stark traits are stronger. Which remains to be seen
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
These are amazing books! READ THEM!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
What? There's an HBO series? Holy %%!%...

It's extremely faithful to the books as well. Check out one of the main fan websites (http://winter-is-coming.net/) and you can find some of the original trailers for it. There are of course minor changes here and there, but I can't imagine it being any closer than it is.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
05/04/2011 01:01 PMPosted by Paladinchaz

Thought about this talking to another person who's read the books, but it doesnt add up, as I recall the Targaryen bloodline is quite strong, and they all have the telltale signs of tan skin and planitum blonde hair, which Jon does not have, unless the Stark traits are stronger. Which remains to be seen

Their traits are strong because they all come from one blood line. The whole family is incestuous, so strong might be the wrong word. Wouldn't centuries of incest make their genes weak (idk)? Introducing new strong stock like a Stark might just overpower them.

I have put more thought into a woman of the Targaryen house being mother and Ned being father. It still works with my general thought that Jon and dany will wed and make claim to the throne.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]