MacBook Air

85 Gnome Warrior
For anyone that is interested, the newer MacBook Air's play WoW extremely well.

When they were first released, I bought the base model 13 inch version (core 2 duo, 2 GB of ram, 120GB SSD) as a work based light laptop that I could take around.

I figured, hey! lets install WoW and see what happens...

I don't know if its all of the hardware, the SSD or magic but the game runs near flawlessly. I play on high graphics setting at native resolution and I rarely go below 60FPS unless I'm in SW where I sit around 20-40 depending on how many people are there.

So anyone that tells you that the MacBook Air can't play WoW, they are wrong :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I read your thread on General Forums. If I had the spare cash i would get this laptop just cause its so thin.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
05/03/2011 11:41 AMPosted by Tehrock
I read your thread on General Forums. If I had the spare cash i would get this laptop just cause its so thin.

:)

Ya, it's definitely a nice little machine and extremely fast.

Three years ago, I didn't own a single apple product and was pro PC
A year ago the only apple product I owned was an iPhone

Now I have an iPhone, an iPad and a MacBook Air and I love all of them. Granted I still have my sexy gaming PC for actual gaming, but I definitely feel a little like an apple fan boy now :P

I've been meaning to record a better WoW video with the MacBook Air (The last one I used my iphone rather then the in-game software to record...) I'll reply when I get a link up so people can see how it runs :)
Reply Quote
71 Blood Elf Mage
How do you think it'd run if I dual-booted with Win7 on it?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
05/03/2011 11:45 AMPosted by Kelfísx
I usually don't mind apple, but I do have to give them a slap on the wrist for making this laptop so small it doesn't have a CD drive. I would have to download every expansion, and that would take about a good 18 hours or more judging by the size of my WoW folder

You can buy a USB CD drive for pretty cheap, but honestly do you really need it now a days? I'd much rather have a smaller laptop without a drive then a bigger one with one.

Blizzard recently updated the launcher so that it downloads in the background, you can play after downloading like 400MB so it's not a big deal unless you're limited by bandwidth.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
05/03/2011 11:48 AMPosted by Delinarine
How do you think it'd run if I dual-booted with Win7 on it?

My guess, poorly.

Apple products run extremely well because unlike a PC, the hardware is built specifically to work with the software. So when you see Core 2 Duo, you think....isn't that old?...but a Core 2 Duo running software designed to run on a Core 2 Duo will run way faster then software that isn't.

PC's have so many hardware configurations possible that everything has to be penalized to ensure it works with everything.

Think of Mac's like a gaming console, no one really laughs at the fact that an Xbox 360 only has 512MB of ram because the software is built to work specifically with that hardware. If you were to take the hardware specs of the Xbox 360 and build a PC with it, you'd never be able to run anything even close to the same requirements as the Xbox 360 can.

The MacBook Air specs are very poor by windows standards.
Edited by Mõnster on 5/3/2011 11:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
71 Blood Elf Mage

Apple products run extremely well because unlike a PC, the hardware is built specifically to work with the software. So when you see Core 2 Duo, you think....isn't that old?...but a Core 2 Duo running software designed to run on a Core 2 Duo will run way faster then software that isn't.

Sure, a C2D is old (both my computers have them), but Win7 was released when C2Ds weren't nearly as old as they are now, and were the dominant processor in the market.

I just ask because I've been considering getting a Mac for the size and such, but can't stand the thought of not having my precious Windows.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior

Sure, a C2D is old (both my computers have them), but Win7 was released when C2Ds weren't nearly as old as they are now, and were the dominant processor in the market.

I just ask because I've been considering getting a Mac for the size and such, but can't stand the thought of not having my precious Windows.

Oh theres no doubt it will run, I just doubt it will run that well. Windows 7 alone requires half the ram for itself.

You could run smaller load programs and surf the net, but I have a feeling things like WoW would run like crap, if at all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]