In-realm pugs only?

04/30/2011 10:48 AMPosted by Plit
Overall a good change, not so good for people from niche servers like the op, or me, from an rp realm. I was happy when the lfd came out that the success rate of a pug went up compared to one made through trade. Yes WA is that bad if you randomly pick people from the general population.

I haven't been getting paired up anyone from WA since this change was made.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
That isn't just a coincidence. Many players have stated since the release of the Dungeon Finder that they like the convenience of being matched for a group automatically, but they miss the feeling of community when they're paired with strangers from other realms with whom they might never speak again. So we made a slight change in the way the Dungeon Finder sorts through the queue matching players for a dungeon.

This was a late addition to the patch notes made yesterday evening:

The Dungeon Finder will attempt to place players from the same realm in a party together.

<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2657803">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2657803</a>

You might not see a post this deep big Z, but sadly I think a lot of the LFD groups on my server were hoping the other realms provided us with higher quality players. It's just more incentive for people looking for good PVE players to move to known high progression realms.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I think this is a great idea for those looking to make friends or find guilds.

While it's unfortunate some people have landed on servers they find to contain.... undesirable masses, ultimately we all chose our servers - a choice that should have been made carefully, and we can all choose to transfer to another at a cost if the experience is really that painful.

Either way the only real problem I could really see one having this is if they have managed to stir up trouble or through guild breakdowns and trade chat rants made "enemies" whom they might feel incredibly awkward in a group with them. *shrugs*
Reply Quote
11 Troll Hunter
That isn't just a coincidence. Many players have stated since the release of the Dungeon Finder that they like the convenience of being matched for a group automatically, but they miss the feeling of community when they're paired with strangers from other realms with whom they might never speak again. So we made a slight change in the way the Dungeon Finder sorts through the queue matching players for a dungeon.

This was a late addition to the patch notes made yesterday evening:

The Dungeon Finder will attempt to place players from the same realm in a party together.

<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2657803">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2657803</a>

Can that be disabled? Ie, so it gives preference to people from other realms instead?

(And before the kids start trolling: I *never* asked for this change)
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Rogue

i thought we already had an official server for brazilian players

jw

No, there are Spanish realms, but Brazilians speak Portuguese. From what I have been told by my Brazilian friends is that the latency to the Spanish realms is quite a bit higher than to Guru or Warsong and Spanish is more of a pain to them than English.

My first language is portuguese followed by french. Then Italian and Spanish. Spanish was actually alot hard to grasp than English was which is my most recent. Next year Im starting on Japanese.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
=D

Glad to see this implemented!

Whoever thought of this should get a new gaming rig! =P
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage

While it's unfortunate some people have landed on servers they find to contain.... undesirable masses, ultimately we all chose our servers - a choice that should have been made carefully, and we can all choose to transfer to another at a cost if the experience is really that painful.

Either way the only real problem I could really see one having this is if they have managed to stir up trouble or through guild breakdowns and trade chat rants made "enemies" whom they might feel incredibly awkward in a group with them. *shrugs*

Wait, no, completely disagree with that. How on earth does a new player choose their server carefully? It's not like blizzard says "oh, wait, you want to play horde on this server... well they are outnumbered 20 to 1, and they all speak Spanish on an English server". How on earth is a new player supposed to tell one server from the other? Blizzard picks one to recommend to them, and if they don't already have friends playing Wow, this is what they choose. If it later turns out to be not where they want to be, they have to pay to get off. It's not the players fault for ending up on a server they are unhappy with, but they sure as heck have to pay the price to get off.
Edited by Marrowfiend on 5/2/2011 11:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If I wanted to be grouped with players from my own realm I personally would /2 tank lf3 dps 1 heals random heroic. Then I would invite the first people that whispered me regardless of skill. Honestly I random not because I have to I do it to meet new people even if we don't always sit around and chat. I also get to see another perspective on different fights because not everyone does it the same as they do on my realm. Its actually advantageous to all parties to have the option to learn new strats and then if needed combine or take bits and pieces and come up with the best strat for your party at any given time. Please revert the changes or give us an option to opt out.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
If I wanted to be grouped with players from my own realm I personally would /2 tank lf3 dps 1 heals random heroic.

So grouping on your own realm is fine because you, as a tank, are able to put together realm groups easily? Other people play this game too...maybe you forgot that given the faceless cross-server drones you are so used to playing with and never having any sort of conversation with.

I also get to see another perspective on different fights because not everyone does it the same as they do on my realm. Its actually advantageous to all parties to have the option to learn new strats and then if needed combine or take bits and pieces and come up with the best strat for your party at any given time

I fail to see how realm has anything to do with using a specific strategy on a boss and how people from other realms offer some fresh perspective or other BS. Do people on your realm not have access to the internet or something? Actually, since I know you do, I guess the question would be what is stopping you or anyone else on your realm from using it?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
05/01/2011 02:44 PMPosted by Sarius
The majority of players on Gurubashi and Warsong are Brazilian. If you pop in to our trade chat you will actually see far more Portuguese being spoken than English. (By a wide margin.)

Holy, crap! I had to check this out for myself.

I created a character on both realms, and I was shocked. On each character, I stood in Stormwind City for 10 minutes and not one line -- not a single line -- of Trade chat was in English. Well, that is until I posted, "Is there a special English channel." Then, the English started: "No!" "Get off our server." "Why? Go away!"

Is this even allowed on an English-speaking server? How the hell can you stand it? If everyone always speaking in a foreign language in general chat channels is allowed by Blizzard, then I only see two choices: Learn the foreign language or transfer realms.

Seriously, transfer to another server. If you explain your circumstance to Blizzard customer service (you started on that realm before it was taken over by aliens), then I believe you have a good chance of getting a free transfer.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to take a look. I wished there were a few kind human beings, such as yourself, at Blizzard who was willing to take a look at an issue like this with an open mind.

The Brazilians have been a non-issue for my guild for the most part. After leaving /2 most of the time I can forget I am in the minority. We had a core group of players who have played with each other since Vanilla or BC. We do not really need to worry about recruitment due to this. As for alts (such as this toon) the LFD tool dropped us in such a large pool it was rare to encounter a language issue.

For those who skimmed and came up with, "Why is this guy mad for being on a foreign server? He should just hush and fork over thirty bucks and transfer off!"

Why should I be forced to hand over more money to Blizzard to correct an issue they themselves should have addressed a couple of years ago? If it were as simple as handing over a one-time thirty dollar payment to transfer all of my characters I would probably just sigh and my guild would move on to a new server. I say this since most of us (and probably most people at this point) have several alts they would want to take to our new home.

What was once a little bit of money is now more than what a reasonable person would pay to move virtual characters due to apathy by the game creator. Then multiply it out by an entire guild. It starts to get silly that we should be expected to give Blizzard that much money due to mismanagement.

It's a bitter pull to swallow, but as a few kind posters have pointed out we will probably be far happier as a guild if we just move on. Ah well, it may be time to talk about that very subject again. It's just a shame that's all.
Reply Quote
43 Night Elf Hunter
I think I'll like this change. Hopefully, it will bring more of a sense of community back. :)

Personally I liked randoms because I'd have little to no chance of being paired with the paint-lickers from my realm.

Is anyone surprised that these type of comments are usually made on level one alts?

I find it amazing how many people in this thread would prefer not to play with people from their own server. Everyone can't be from the worst server. I can't help but feel that these are the people who were behaving like jerks in the randoms and liked being anonymous.
Edited by Jawaka on 5/2/2011 10:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
While I like the concept, I do think it needs an option to remove yourself from the realm first system. It does have the potential to reduce the lack of care that is common when you know you will unlikely see the other people again due to the probability of destroying your own name within your home realm.

That said, it still should be a choice. A simple option to remove your character from the realm first preference selection.

The system has merit, but there is plenty of flaws to go with the good ideas to make it perfect. Even then, it wont be everyone's cup o' tea.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Are GM's robots?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
05/03/2011 08:32 AMPosted by Emaseh
Are GM's robots?

Yes, but they have sophisticated AI's with independent autonomy. This is why they appear human with emotional responses at times, and yet they never sleep, never eat, and have all changes to the game automatically downloaded into their library of 'memories' so that they can answer our questions before we even really know what we are asking, or why we are asking it.

After all of that, why oh why didn't you pick the Blue pill?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman

Wait, no, completely disagree with that. How on earth does a new player choose their server carefully? It's not like blizzard says "oh, wait, you want to play horde on this server... well they are outnumbered 20 to 1, and they all speak Spanish on an English server". How on earth is a new player supposed to tell one server from the other? Blizzard picks one to recommend to them, and if they don't already have friends playing Wow, this is what they choose. If it later turns out to be not where they want to be, they have to pay to get off. It's not the players fault for ending up on a server they are unhappy with, but they sure as heck have to pay the price to get off.

Well, I can't speak for others but personally I always "tested" out servers before choosing to stick with it. And that goes for any online game, not just WoW.

My current server is not the best but I made the choice to be with friends. I knew what I was getting into within a minute of running around with a level 1 there but sticking with it was my prerogative.

In general with WoW, if you have no met anyone yet and simply took a recommended server by level 10 or 20 you will DEFINITELY know if nobody else speaks English. Heck, you should even know by the first capitol city you reach if not before. Being so low level it's not a big deal to delete your character and try another server. But if you don't want to give up 8 levels and a copper dagger that's your choice. You know?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
i have actually noticed less people from my realm since this change. in the week or so before it was patched i noticed 4-5 people from my realm in a few of the cata dungeons i was running and i cant remember ever seeing any from my realm in any dungeon before that. now that the patch is here i havent run across any more fom here.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]