Thoughts on E-Readers

85 Troll Shaman
I'm a Kindle convert. I was sitting outside last week with the sun blazing angrily at me in a futile attempt to cast some kind of glare on the screen. It's also very convenient since I never have to worry about losing my page. Flick it on and off and it'll save the page I left off on so I don't have to fumble around looking for something to serve as a makeshift bookmark because I've lost my real one (as usual).
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Hunter
I'm quite happy with my Kindle, which was an anniversary present from hubby, conveniently just before my last extended trip.

Pros:
(1) MUCH easier to travel with. I don't have to worry about either packing enough books to last me for a trip, or budgeting to buy books while on the road that I will inevitably leave behind due to packing space limitations.

(2) Easy to take anywhere... and with the Kindle app for my phone and tablet, I've got the book(s) available even if I don't have my Kindle itself with me.

(3) Book prices. If you're not into the most recent stuff (and generally I'm not), you can pick up books much more cheaply on Kindle - my last few purchases, with the exception of one series book that just came out, averaged $2.99 each. That's cheaper than a paperback, and more convenient than the library.

(4) I won't have to worry about finding a spot for yet another bookcase!

Cons:
(1) I'd be a lot happier with MUCH more flexibility in organizing my books. I saw a couple of references to Calibre - where do I find this?!

(2) The Kindle Store is great if I know exactly what I'm looking for, but it will never replace actual bookstore browsing for me. The catchy title/cover art is part of how I choose which books to investigate... and it's easier to see all available books by an author sitting cheek-by-jowl on a shelf as opposed to having to click through to the list.

(3) Not as user-friendly for making notes.

(4) Not good at all for books with photographs in them, obviously. For example, The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt is on my to-be-read stack of physical books, simply because the text without the accompanying photos of dig sites, artifacts, maps and so forth would be only half the experience.

I also find the interface of the Kindle device itself to be a bit clunky. I actually prefer reading from my tablet, because it's touch-screen and I don't have to worry about accidentally clicking the page buttons. The tablet is also better for going back and forth from text to footnotes, again, thanks to the touch screen as opposed to the Kindle's arrow keys.
Reply Quote
87 Worgen Warrior
ouch... that was painful.

Someone mentioned to me that they have Manga for the Kindle so I went to the Kindle store to see what they had.

after 40 pages of BL books I gave up

oh they did have Vampire Hunter D but the rest was all BL stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Someone mentioned to me that they have Manga for the Kindle so I went to the Kindle store to see what they had.

You do realize that the Kindle is black and white only, right? That's how e-ink works, at least currently. If you want color, you'd need to get either a Nook Color or an Ipad(which I hear supports comics pretty well)

Personally, I buy graphic novels in physical form and buy most books e-reader form.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior

You do realize that the Kindle is black and white only, right? That's how e-ink works, at least currently. If you want color, you'd need to get either a Nook Color or an Ipad(which I hear supports comics pretty well)

Personally, I buy graphic novels in physical form and buy most books e-reader form.

Err... he wasn't complaining about black and white. BL = "boys love". It's uh... well, exactly what it sounds like.
Edited by Kaiju on 5/9/2011 10:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I like used paperbacks because I can abuse them.
Reply Quote
87 Worgen Warrior

Err... he wasn't complaining about black and white. BL = "boys love". It's uh... well, exactly what it sounds like.

Exactly, and I am so not in to that stuff
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Exactly, and I am so not in to that stuff

My bad, somehow my brain translated BL as black & white, obviously I'm not up on my acronyms. I hear the Ipad is much better for comics and whatnot, still.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I hate DRM so much. Other than that, I love digital books. I also love my hard copy books more. It just feels less alien to me.
Edited by Lêssín on 5/10/2011 9:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
I use a Kobo, and my only disappointment has been the relatively small Library of available books they seem to have,
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I was fairly adverse to getting an eReader. I really love the physical sensation of reading. Then, I looked at our three bedroom house where we hope to have children and the fact that one bedroom is filled with my books.

I decided to get a Kindle and am LOVING it. I am not planning on replacing my entire collection, but I did buy kindle editions of 5 of my favorite books of all time (that I read at least once a year).

I enjoy the flexibility of being able to have a ton of books there. I also love the instant buy feature. I am taking advantage of all the indie publishing to discover great new authors for cheap.

The only catch is new books that both my husband and I want to read, like the new GRRM novel coming out this summer. Still haven't decided between getting the Kindle edition (cheaper but we only have the one kindle) and the hardcover (will be more expensive and more than a little bulky).
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Death Knight
I have the iPad. I decided on it because of the app flexibility, and the fact that I was told that I can only have one bookshelf.
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Hunter
05/10/2011 04:31 PMPosted by Phaedra
The only catch is new books that both my husband and I want to read, like the new GRRM novel coming out this summer. Still haven't decided between getting the Kindle edition (cheaper but we only have the one kindle) and the hardcover (will be more expensive and more than a little bulky).

If one of you has a smartphone and/or a tablet or iPad, there are Kindle apps for those platforms, and you can have the same Kindle book on both the Kindle e-reader and the mobile app (as long as both are registered to the same Kindle account). So don't let having just one e-reader be the deciding factor.

I actually enjoy reading on our Galaxy Tab more than on the Kindle e-reader; I like the touch screen, and since I'm not usually reading when outside or in harsh lighting, the superiority of e-ink isn't noticeable. But the Tab (and my Droid2 Global phone) are battery hogs compared to the e-reader.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/10/2011 04:31 PMPosted by Phaedra

New hardcore is only going to be more expensive by a few dollars, I believe. I'd just get the hardcover, that's what me and my girlfriend are doing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

My feelings exactly. The (non-BL) American manga companies are terribly behind on this part of the publishing industry. Part of it originally had to do with formatting problems, but most e-readers no longer should have that issue. From what I can tell the manga publishers are either going through third-party sites (that can't download to e-readers), or like Viz, have their manga exclusive to Apple. No love for those of us that don't use Apple products and aren't interested in Boy's Love.

Sometimes the American manga industry makes me want to tear my hair out. But that's a topic for another time.

I was very much against e-readers as well. Now I'm warming up to them, but I still love having the physical books lining my shelves. My hope for the future is that people will have favorite books and collector's editions in physical form, kept at their house; for trips and one-time reads, they'll use their e-reader.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
05/10/2011 06:58 PMPosted by Devakanya

If one of you has a smartphone and/or a tablet or iPad, there are Kindle apps for those platforms, and you can have the same Kindle book on both the Kindle e-reader and the mobile app (as long as both are registered to the same Kindle account). So don't let having just one e-reader be the deciding factor.

I actually enjoy reading on our Galaxy Tab more than on the Kindle e-reader; I like the touch screen, and since I'm not usually reading when outside or in harsh lighting, the superiority of e-ink isn't noticeable. But the Tab (and my Droid2 Global phone) are battery hogs compared to the e-reader.

I should have been a little more clear: my Luddite husband, while enjoying computer games, still hates technology. He's actually managing to go backwards where he can (his portable gaming system of choice is an NES). He has no interest in reading the book on my Kindle, even when I am done with it. And I know I'll prefer the Kindle version to the hardcover version (I read a Game of Thrones in hardcover and it was a motivating factor to get a Kindle). It's definately at an impasse for right now - luckily, I still have time to change his mind about the Kindle.
Reply Quote
35 Blood Elf Hunter
Loving my iPad and my Kindle app.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
05/04/2011 05:39 PMPosted by Kyrna
Meh, I am now, and forever will be, old school. I can't curl up in the bathtub with an e-book, nor can I mark a page and drop it in the grass while I chase my son back into his allowed zone, and don't have to readjust contrast as I sit n spin, keeping an eye on my children as they race and roughhouse. Plus I don't have the money to convert, and wouldn't want to. When the world electricity runs out and batteries or usb chargers are no more, I'll be able to read still, until the zombies eat my brains anyway. But at that point, I will still be able to read, and not have a useless flat piece of plastic with which to bat away the zombies. Some of my hardcover books weigh a great deal, and dropped out of a window, would make good velocity bombs with which to destroy a few weaker zombies. Lol. It's not just entertainment, it's my secret arsenal! All 4 bookcases(and growing) worth.

Your missing out though, i read books on my iphone every day, i always have my phone with me which means ive always got my library with me. if i have to wait for some reason that i wasnt expecting i just pull out my phone and read away (no boring waiting for me), you cant beat iphones for the sheer convenience. if you ever come in to a bit of spare money get one, im sure you wont regret it :)
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
It's convenient, but i haven't really gave it a shot past only reading part of Frankenstein. I prefer audio books so that i can have something to listen to on long drives.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]