Thoughts on E-Readers

64 Blood Elf Paladin
I've tried them in person but beyond reading short articles it isn't really appealing to me. I get the convenience factor but I guess it's just the way I read.

I need a tangible page, I can't be afraid to touch it (I do get OCD about ruining, smudging, scratching, any kind of screen, even the kinds that are meant to be touched.) There's also the factor about images, print images (should) always be high res 300dpi images, images in e-books are designed for onscreen and therefor are low res, 72-96dpi, to me this matters. For personal projects I do sometimes pull images from books, magazines, and graphic novels.

But on the other I hand I love designing interactive e-books, but these are magazine type things, not novels.
Reply Quote
Anyone have Nook ?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I never thought I'd get over not having an actual book in my hands but after I got my Kobo, it was great.

Such convenience having hundreds of books available at any time. If your savvy enough with computers, you can find torrents of any book for free.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I started reading digital books on my iphone and found I enjoyed it more than reading paper books. So I thought I'd get a kindle so I'd have a bigger screen and I was pretty disappointed with it. I find the lack of backlighting to be a major drawback to the kindle. Yeah, the battery life is awesome, but being able to read without lights on and just putting down my phone and going to sleep is great. I don't need a lamp next to my bed or anything.

Some people say that looking at a lit screen hurts their eyes after a while, but I don't get that at all. I mean I can play WoW all day and my eyes never start hurting from looking at the screen. Same thing with my iphone, although I do change it so the background is black and the text white. I'm 31 years old and my vision is still perfect even though I've spent a good portion of the last 15 years looking at a computer screen.
Edited by Dayol on 5/17/2011 12:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
There are some interesting debates out there about this. Is the printed book going the way of the cd, being replaced by ipods? Hard copies can be resoled or loaned, whereas an electronic version can be spread much more quickly and illicitly. I prefer to think that most readers are a tad more conscientious and would prefer to support their authors by purchasing when they can.

Baen's Eric Flint saw the e-readers coming at the turn of the century and decided to head it off a bit by posting some baen books online free ahead of time. Others turned to self publishing through Amazon, hoping that if a book were inexpensive enough, people would just pay for it anyway. The overhead costs of getting something published can be startling.

Personally, I will always prefer a physical copy. But, I agree, the lure of having soooo many books at the tip of my finger on a long flight are somewhat overwhelming....
Reply Quote
87 Worgen Warrior
I do prefer Real books but over the years a problem has developed.

They take up a lot of space.

There are books in every damn corner of my house, books I've forgotten I have, books that belonged to my father and made their way to me when he died, Books from book club grab bags, Role-playing game books, schoolbooks, Manuals and reference guides.

So many damn books that I am running out of places to store them. They are on shelves, in boxes and laying around on tables.

and then I got a Kindle and it already has 40 books in it and it takes up so very little space.

I do love real books but I am certainly seeing the advantage of digital.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I compromise. I <3 my kindle , but my favorite books and authors I still pick up the hardcover in store.
Reply Quote
70 Gnome Rogue
05/04/2011 08:04 AMPosted by Alexandraxis
I am in love with the idea of the e-reader, but I love having 5 bookshelves filled with books. I am sure at some point I will pick one up, but for now, the smell of the pages, the feel of the bindings, and the weight of the book itself still are more my speed. I will say that the new color reader looks very smexay.

agreed with this.

I just love the feeling of a hard copy of a book, and dont want to sacrifice that for some digital copy.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Got a nook for my birthday, love it. Already have 200+ books on it, the only thing it doesn't handle well is big pdf's like rpg books. Battery life on these things is pretty impressive, spent an entire day reading all of battlefield earth and it still had juice left.
I do miss the feeling of a book in my hands, but for any voracious reader it simply begins to occupy far to much space. At one point I about 500 books in my room. Where my computer sits now used to be a giant pile of books lol.
Reply Quote
37 Gnome Priest
Got a nook for my birthday, love it. Already have 200+ books on it, the only thing it doesn't handle well is big pdf's like rpg books. Battery life on these things is pretty impressive, spent an entire day reading all of battlefield earth and it still had juice left.
I do miss the feeling of a book in my hands, but for any voracious reader it simply begins to occupy far to much space. At one point I about 500 books in my room. Where my computer sits now used to be a giant pile of books lol.

Holy thread necro, batman! But I wanted to talk about how happy I am with my nook, and why start a new thread, right? Barnes and Noble occaisionally offers collections of books for $0.99. I have one collection of science fiction classics that includes 250 books! And another one of normal novels (less favorite, but lots of classics) that has about 100 books. I read all the time now, and I hadn't been reading as much lately. Partly because buying or borrowing books takes up space. You can carry so many books in an e-reader.

Now I'm learning to like how light it is, how I can change the print size (getting old, and that helps).
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
I live in Portland, OR. We have Powells Books.

Print on paper for me. Besides, when it counts would you really throw your Kindle at someone when pissed? Books, blunt force trauma for smart people.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I still have over fifty print books on my bookshelves that I need to read (and I keep buying more) but I finally broke down and bought a Kindle Fire a couple of months ago. I've only read two books on it so far because I am so caught up in all of the free games you can download. I love it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I've no problem with them and read books on my iPad more often because I can get what I need instantly. That being said, I love the feel of a book and going to the store or library and hunting down a real good book from someone you've never heard of.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I read the title as e-reader: Nintendo's card reader for the Game Boy Advance.
Reply Quote
24 Blood Elf Paladin
My inner minimalist loves reading on a tablet or his smartphone. Less is more, RIP books.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
11/04/2012 11:22 PMPosted by Phitz
Books, blunt force trauma for smart people.

What framing hammers are for. Form follows function.

I was initially a bit leery of the Kindle, but did eventually pick one up. Now I rarely go anywhere without it. About 100 books on it so far and no end in sight. The conveniance factor is just too great to ignore.

I still like regular books, but I"m also rapidly running out of room for them (I've been informed I ran out some time ago, but I still find the occasional flat space with no book on it). I've been slowly (very slowly) ridding myself of softcover deadwood, and just retaining my hardcover library. The Kindle helps a lot with this.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
I live in Portland, OR. We have Powell's Books and the smell as you enter this massive book store is just great. Smells like old print. I love that place.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Huh, this is still on the front page! Just wanted to say, awhile ago the Humble Bundle had a Humble E-Book Bundle, which included stuff by John Scalzi, Neil Gaiman, Mercedes Lackey, and a bunch of webcomics like Penny-Arcade and Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal. I'm hoping there are more Humble E-Book Bundles in the future, as I really liked this first collection.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I have a Kindle (the e-ink one, no the Fire), and I think it's awesome. The accessability of books as well as low prices (for the most part) has enabled me to read authors I otherwise never would have. The e-ink causes the battery to have a ridiculously long life, and there is no eye strain. I'm also a fan of the fact that I don't have a bunch of paperbacks cluttering up my space anymore. Someone mentioned sharing books, and some books have lending enabled (though there are restrictions), some authors sell books on their webpages without DRM, and there are utilities that allow you to deal with DRM so someone else can read the book.

One thing of note though, I still prefer to use card-copy versions of non-fiction and reference books. This is likely a quirk specific to me, but I prefer being able to leaf through reference material over using a search function. Plus the tactile experience I believe helps you retain the information.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]