Akil'zon

100 Blood Elf Hunter
Hello friends,

I apologize if this has already been posted here. I tried searching for Akil'zon, but the forum search isn't working correctly right now, and I didn't see anything about the boss in the "Known Issues" thread. I also scanned the first page to see if anything was already posted. So, onto the meat.

I've seen a lot of threads and posts popping up about this encounter in Zul'Aman. Very consistently people are saying that they had no issues downing the boss on the first couple of days after the release of 4.1. Quite suddenly, most healers are finding themselves unable to heal through the damage. Many of these healers obviously heal in raids and seem to know the ins and outs of their class and role.

The root of the problem appears to be Static Disruption. It could be a combination of that and damage from the birds as well. Mainly though, the fight becomes exponentially more difficult with each melee that is in the group. Even one makes it much harder, plus pets and supposedly even the panther that appears as a result of submitting an Archaeology fragment in the beginning of the instance.

Now I know these instances are supposed to be hard. I have no problem with the difficulty. I wipe somewhat regularly in these places while I'm healing on my Priest and learning how things go, and it's still fun for me. However, this particular fight seems to be a bottleneck that is holding many groups back.

Thank you in advance.

Editing this in as I've seen it pop up as a theory. I have no idea how the instance servers work, but as some people are saying it's fine, no problems, and others obviously just can't get it done, perhaps some of these instance servers are bugged while others are not. I don't really know how to describe it better than that as, like I said, I have no idea how that works.
Edited by Jöhnnyd on 5/1/2011 11:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
04/29/2011 11:34 AMPosted by Erudition
Were meleers running to kill the white bird? Or just the plucked and spriest? Were meleers spread enough around boss like a triangle? (I know it didn't work for us, but I think the arch cubs were causing the problem being in between the range gaps.

We tried having meleers spread but they either couldn't melee the boss or were getting wrecked by Static Disruption.

Talking to my guildies about it afterwards, it felt like (we did it on Wednesday and last night -- Thursday) when we did it on Thursday (there was a server restart for hotfixes Thursday early morning) there were far more kidnappers, the brown eagles were doing a lot more damage, and static disruption was being used for more frequently.

We were running with the exact same setup, and the day before our priest was just dispelling everyone and healing through it, whereas on Thursday it was either dispel everyone and everyone dies, or try and heal through it and everyone still dies.

Only ranged and the person picked up were dpsing the kidnapper.

After over an hour I got on my warlock (so group comp was prot pally / assassination rogue / shadow priest / disc priest / destro warlock) and literally did nothing but dps kidnappers and spam fel flame to kill brown eagles.

It still took 3 attempts to kill the boss.

As I said in the other thread, I'm pretty sure the boss is broken. Either the abilities are doing more damage, or the cooldowns on them have been drastically reduced.

He's outputting a lot more damage than he was on Wednesday.

Our healer was pushing 12 500 HPS on most wipes...

...and they were still wipes.
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Druid
Static Disruption is hitting for 35000.

The dmg. done by boss seems to be off drastically.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Thanks you guys. I wish I had a better way to explain my encounter with this boss, but I'm not quite so good with the numbers and don't really have much experience as you guys have doing this Boss, even from back in BC days.

But I will add my two cents and say the damage output is way to high for this guy. To require all or most Ranged DPS for this fight is just messed up and a healer to pull 20k HPS is rediculous. Something has to be done with this fight. THe Static Disruption happens way too frequently and the Plucking White Birds come in too often.

I'm convinced the boss is broken.
Edited by Agetro on 4/29/2011 1:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I concur. My raid healer (get it? heals raids and does a fine job) apologized profusely for not being able to handle this fight when it's obviously just plain broken. There is far too much raid damage going out, the tank is getting hit at seemingly inconsistent intervals with the boss simply doing high amounts of damage constantly. There is no point at which you should obviously use a cooldown, because the boss uses only instant casts and he uses them constantly.

Even thunderstorm there is next to no warning before he picks someone up and starts raining death down on the platform. Everyone knows what to do, but it just comes up and unless you have dbm, you're going to get fried.

A healing/dispel intensive fight should not have a massive, raid wiping ability!

Honestly, I'm thinking next time I do it in a guild group or with friends, I'll have a druid/priest/shaman go resto/disc just so we can two heal it.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Never had trouble on this boss before today. Wiped several times. One attempt there was 2 million or so damage done to the group within the 90 seconds before we wiped. I was dispelling the debuff like always but today I just couldn't keep up.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I started a bug report for this issue yesterday

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2456476319

Also the range of static disruption is crazy, it seems impossible for more than one person to be in melee, and when people get picked up by birds and hit, it spreads like a plague.

There's also a growing thread on the dungeons and raid forum about this boss, which seemed to be fine to heal and now it's not...

I am not one to call for nerfs, but this boss seems bugged rather than too hard.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2416159722?page=1
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Personally I only did this boss during TBC. Today I take a crack at it and my 13k HPS isn't cutting it. 2.9 million damage done to the group in 3 minutes, which means I guess I should have been over 16k HPS to effectively heal through it. I know some of the people didn't switch to the bird fast enough, etc. But attrition was killing the group off. I finally had to say "peace" to the guildies and let them try another healer, I don't know what was going on.

Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
I apologize Claudia, I didn't realize you had already started another thread. Hopefully they will fix the forums soon.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
I've been healing on a shaman, and having a blast doing it... until this boss suddenly became the beast it is now. I've had enough tanks call me names, tell me I fail as a healer, and kick me from the group that I no longer queue as a healer for ZA and ZG, just because of this boss.

I'm happy to hear that healers in 359 iLvl gear are able to heal it, at least I know it's doable. But, he only drops 353 iLvl gear, so it would make sense that people in range of the gear he drops should be able successful in this encounter.

My usual experience with him tends to include me being out of mana when the boss is around 75%, due to the large amount of damage the group is taking.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Hello friends,

I apologize if this has already been posted here. I tried searching for Akil'zon, but the forum search isn't working correctly right now, and I didn't see anything about the boss in the "Known Issues" thread. I also scanned the first page to see if anything was already posted. So, onto the meat.

I've seen a lot of threads and posts popping up about this encounter in Zul'Aman. Very consistently people are saying that they had no issues downing the boss on the first couple of days after the release of 4.1. Quite suddenly, most healers are finding themselves unable to heal through the damage. Many of these healers obviously heal in raids and seem to know the ins and outs of their class and role.

The root of the problem appears to be Static Disruption. It could be a combination of that and damage from the birds as well. Mainly though, the fight becomes exponentially more difficult with each melee that is in the group. Even one makes it much harder, plus pets and supposedly even the panther that appears as a result of submitting an Archaeology fragment in the beginning of the instance.

Now I know these instances are supposed to be hard. I have no problem with the difficulty. I wipe somewhat regularly in these places while I'm healing on my Priest and learning how things go, and it's still fun for me. However, this particular fight seems to be a bottleneck that is holding many groups back.

Thank you in advance.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
04/29/2011 05:25 PMPosted by Panini
I'm happy to hear that healers in 359 iLvl gear are able to heal it, at least I know it's doable.

After doing 4 attempts of this boss (in two different groups) on my Holy Paladin earlier, I'd actually question my ability to heal this on my Priest, which is in full epics and numerous 372s. THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING.
I posted this on another thread but it bears repeating:
I just got done trying to do this on my Paladin. TWICE. Well, four times.
I've healed this before on my Paladin (two or three times successfully, mostly one-shots in fact) in addition to my Priest which is my main. I've also DPSed this on my Shaman (who is MS Resto).

I got in one group, in progress on the Eagle boss. Apparently almost the entire group had disbanded. Anyway, we do an attempt and wipe. We only had one melee dps so it shouldn't have been an issue at all, but somehow it was. So after the wipe, I advised them to make sure they're more spread out (since lock and hunter were both getting hit with debuff at times). We tried again, and wiped. So I left saying I didn't feel the DPS was sufficient, which was honestly the only reason I could come up with. (Highest was 12k, all others were 6-9k)

I requeued and got into a group that was in the same situation, except 3 of the people were guildies, and we had 2 melee DPS this time. So every time a debuff went out on one of them, I'd have at least 2 people to cleanse, but usually 3. So we wiped. Again, I asked the melee to *try* to spread out a little. I know that's kind of a difficult request, but they said they would try. Well, we wiped even faster that time. I was literally OOM by the time people started dying, and I'm very familiar with mana management and triage. Here's a little snippet of the chat, with names changed to protect the... not-so-innocent (Piamette is my paladin):
[21:17:02] Kittydrood calls out for healing!
[21:17:02] Akil'zon yells: Feed, me bruddahs!
[21:17:05] <Akil'zon (Eagle)> Plucked on Kittydrood-Ragnaros
[21:17:07] Kittydrood has died.
[21:17:16] Warlock has died.
[21:17:16] Akil'zon yells: Ya got nothin'!
[21:17:21] [P] [85:Warlock-Rag]: ??????????????????????????????
[21:17:22] Beardrood has died.
[21:17:24] Deekay has died.
[21:17:26] Akil'zon yells: Stop your cryin'!
[21:17:33] <Akil'zon (Eagle)> Electrical Storm soon
[21:17:34] <Deadly Boss Mods> Combat against Akil'zon (Eagle) ended after 1 minute and 38 seconds.
[21:17:34] [P] [85:Warlock-Rag]: I needed heal
[21:17:42] [P] [85:Piamette]: don't you think i know that?
[21:17:47] [P] [85:Piamette]: i'm going OOM from CLEANSING
[21:17:50] Kittydrood leaves the party.
[21:17:56] [P] [85:Piamette]: 26 dispels 1st attempt, 21 this attempt
[21:18:17] You are now the Dungeon Guide.
[21:18:18] Beardrood leaves the party.
[21:18:28] Welcome to Zul'Aman (5 Player (Heroic)). Instance locks are scheduled to expire in 14 Hours 41 Minutes.
[21:19:27] [W From] [85:Warlock-Rag]: kick me plz I suck
[21:19:36] [W To] [85:Warlock-Rag]: yes, you do
[21:19:38] You leave the group.

Recount - Damage Done for Last Fight
1. Deekay-Lightninghoof 879028 (9518.4, 32.3%)
2. Beardrood-Ragnaros 836689 (9020.9, 30.7%)
3. Kittydrood-Ragnaros 557383 (7764.1, 20.4%)
4. Warlock-Ragnaros 436266 (5874.1, 16%)

So I know I got lumped with some crappy pugs, but the 1st group wasn't that bad in contrast. As I said, I've healed this boss at least 2 times before on my Paladin without any issue (or wipe). I was using my cooldowns. Oh and in the first group we even had our hunter using the nature resistance aspect.
I'd love to know what's going on, because I have no reason to think it's anything on my end.

I'd like to mention as well, this fight is absolutely disgusting to heal with more than one melee dps. At least on anything that isn't a priest.

tl;dr: This seems downright unhealable currently, and it was fine before.

Please fix this. I won't be running the Zandalari Heroics at all until it is.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I did this fight yesterday with 2 melee and had zero issues, it was an easy kill. Today I go in again with two melee and I simply cannot heal through the damage. We are spread out on phase 1, we are killing white birds, I am dispelling as much as I can, but the swooping birds are just killing off DPS and myself. By the time we stack up for first storm the group is already dying.

After a few tries we swapped one melee for one more ranged but that didn't do much good either. I can't even start trying to explain to group that I simply CAN'T seem to be able to heal the fight today.

PS. Observation for those who might want to blame it on gear, etc. I logged off with a new chest drop on when was trying to see if I could make it work to replace my JP one (which it seems it doesn't, ty Blizz for giving us higher ilevel to fill in gaps on extra unlucky raid drops that are actually worst than lower ilevel blues), and it's not enchanted, and no, I didn't run with it on.
Edited by Potiara on 4/29/2011 7:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Same here. Haven't had any major troubles on this boss until this morning post-restart. The damage is just too ridiculous to heal through, and the instance can't be completed without killing all bosses due to it's setup. This is a major issue.

It's also the weekend, which means more players are on -- I don't like the thought of thousands of non-forum-going players blacklisting healers and raging in frustration over a bugged encounter.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
bump for spending too much money on repairs with this guy.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Bump for a blue post, any blue post will do.....
Reply Quote
Currently it is next to impossible to do ZA with the boss like this. Thank god I got my 7 out of the way for the week. Hope this is fixed soon. The damage is just too great for any healer(especially a 349 healer the minimal ilvl you can enter) to heal through. Dispels aswell as just the sheer damage will drive a healer oom well before the fight is over.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
After numerous wipes with a guild group (tank, 2 melee, hunter, healer), I offered to drop and let them bring in another healer. I was sure it was me because others in the channel where telling me it was easy to heal. Heck, I'd healed it on Tuesday with few issues. I couldn't figure out what was going on. After they got a crappy dps replacement with an offspec healer, they decided they couldn't do that either. I went back in and we wound up 2 healing the fight. Yes, we had to 2 heal this boss, that's how ridiculous this damage is.

PLEASE take another look at the debuff that goes out, and the damage from the birds, there is far too much damage, especially if you're expecting ilvl 349 geared toons to be able to handle this.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
This encounter is straight up broken. I blow every CD and use every trick in my arsenal to keep people alive but I simply cannot keep up with the damage if there is more than one melee dps in the group. We actually had to kick a DK and replace him with a hunter in order to just barely scoot by and win. I feel that is unacceptable. This encounter should be doable with any kind of group composition. Had done this boss successfully 3 times with little issues (was challenging but was doable) prior, but today this boss wiped the floor with my team on several occasions. I will not queue random til this is fixed. Expect to see call to arms for healers all weekend if this is not addressed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]