Can you disable the new minimap target?

11 Troll Hunter
With the new patch there is a HUGE marker on the minimap of whatever you target - is there not some way to DISABLE that from showing up?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Not so far as I've found, Shoap, but if you ask over in the UI & Macros forum, someone can probably provide you with a link to an add-on that does it.
Reply Quote
32 Gnome Warrior
You can try this addon. It is supposed to work with the default Blizzard minimap but I believe it has problems with any minimap addon at times:

DisableMinimapTarget
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info19721-DisableMinimapTarget.html
Reply Quote
71 Goblin Warlock
i like the new target, but it is too BIG, perhaps just 1 set of crosshairs, 1 pixel smaller. :)

great new feature!
Reply Quote
32 Gnome Warrior
I personally don't care for it. It makes it hard at times to see flowers and ore nodes if you happen to target a mob while harvesting. Hopefully we'll get an option to disable it but until then I guess those of us who don't particularly care for it will have to live with it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
You do realize you can change how it appears. You can make it tiny if that's what you want.
I think personally it's a powerful feature, not to be discarded easily. If change in appearance is what you want, the above linked addon will have the list of files which affect it (though they will be empty). You download the original files of the same name and play with graphics yourself (in photoshop for example) until you get it to look exactly how you want.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there are addons offering exactly these kinds of options in a week or two.
Edited by Sedivy on 4/30/2011 2:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
11 Troll Hunter
You do realize you can change how it appears. You can make it tiny if that's what you want.

Where in the settings is that?

I think personally it's a powerful feature, not to be discarded easily. If change in appearance is what you want, the above linked addon will have the list of files which affect it (though they will be empty). You download the original files of the same name and play with graphics yourself (in photoshop for example) until you get it to look exactly how you want.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there are addons offering exactly these kinds of options in a week or two.

Ah, so we can't change that how it appears, but it can be hacked to appear differently because blizzard couldn't be bothered.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
No no. Look, they give the access to the UI art that the game comes with. Their graphic is their graphic. Most games wouldn't allow you to change it at all.
But they make the UI interface graphics freely available for extraction and you can then modify them to something more pleasing to you. There is no hacking involved. Just like for sound, they have included a check when loading a UI that will check if you have any alternatives to the default graphics placed in the appropriate folder. If yes, it will load them. If no, it defaults to the default UI that the game comes with.
Don't think of it as hacking. They give you the option to change things to whatever you desire, fully aware that a single graphic won't ever please everyone. Games rarely give you that much freedom to tinker with the UI, let alone provide an easy way for you to do it without much hassle.
Edited by Sedivy on 4/30/2011 5:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
It would kind of be nice to just have a checkbox in the options for it and not have to install more addons over something quite simple.

Not to mention that mod doesn't remove the feature completely--just the crosshairs.

"Other games are worse" isn't a legitimate argument for this or anything Blizzard does or doesn't do. Asking for the ability to toggle this feature is not asking for a lot.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Well actually if they provided a toggle for every feature they've added over the years, the interface options would be a nightmare right now.
Regardless, you have a way to remove it. You can add the empty graphic file for the actual dot to remove that as well. It isn't an addon and wasn't at any point. It's an empty graphic file it loads to use as a default.
Edited by Sedivy on 5/1/2011 12:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
While I'm glad that someone wrote an addon to fix this, I think that in this particular case there should be a default function in the game to toggle the mini-map target on or off. I like a lot of the ui improvements Blizzard has made over the years, but there are a couple, like this one, I find absolutely unnecessary. I've never even heard of anyone even wanting something like this.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It isn't an addon...sigh. Forget it lol.
Reply Quote
It isn't an addon, but it IS an unnecessary, clunky addition that clogs the minimap. Changing the minimap that drastically (and it is drastic) should have come with an option. It could easily be put in the tracking bubble with the rest of the markers.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info19721-DisableMinimapTarget.html
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
meow
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
targeting circle is an awesome idea and has been very useful in a lot of situations. just wish blizz would make it less obnoxious on our already cluttered tiny minimap.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
@ Arch

Not to mention that mod doesn't remove the feature completely--just the crosshairs.

DisableMinimapTarget
Version: 1.0
by: Rilgamon [More]
Replaces the "new" Targetsymbol on minimap with an empty graphic to keep the mapcenter usable.

This will not work with other addons replacing images on your minimap like Chinchilla.

/setdmt 1 -- Disable Targetcross/Focuscircle and blips
/setdmt 2 -- Disable Targetcross/Focuscircle (Default)
/setdmt 3 -- Disable Targetcross
/setdmt debug -- Toggle debug

While I agree that an option in the blizzard interface would be ideal, this addon does work perfectly fine. To disable the minimap target completely you just have to change the setting. The default is to leave the blip enabled.
Edited by Zaynthe on 5/19/2011 11:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I don't know if this is a new element as of 4.2, but if you click on the magnifying glass next to your minimap all the way at the bottom there is a place to uncheck track Target and Focus Target. Got rid of the problem completely.
Reply Quote
71 Orc Warlock
@Ardengale, check the date of a forum thread before you necro it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I would hardly consider my comment having no relevance less than two months and a major patch later....

But hey, you must know everything.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]