Cross server BOA is tuff? Not Really

100 Blood Elf Warrior
Simple solution, to a supposedly "hard to implement" problem.

New vendor in your faction's main city, prolly beside the guild vendor since it would help newbies find it.. this vendor sells BOA's to players, once they unlock it.. we already know you guys can track stuff via the account as a whole, ie pets that are mailed every time a new toon is created... so raise the cost of heirlooms by like another 1k justice points, and once they are "unlocked" by any level 80+ character then they are available to ANY character on that account, on any server, via the vendor... add a nominal gold fee, like 500-800g or more per piece.

You get a points sink, a gold sink, and the ability for people to play w/e server they feel like playing with friends/family..

Though you guys will prolly never implement it because you are too busy attempting to bleed players like stuck pigs by forcing people to pay for character xfers on their level 10 alt if they want to hang out with friends on a different server.
85 Draenei Shaman
Great idea. Id definitely go for that.
90 Draenei Paladin
so if I reroll on another server, how am I supposed to get the 500-800g to pay for my BoA gear? especially at level 1? if I wait until I earn that, I'll probably be level 85, and then I no longer need the heirloom.
85 Human Death Knight
05/02/2011 05:14 PMPosted by Nemuraan
so if I reroll on another server, how am I supposed to get the 500-800g to pay for my BoA gear? especially at level 1? if I wait until I earn that, I'll probably be level 85, and then I no longer need the heirloom.
90 Blood Elf Paladin

New vendor in your faction's main city, prolly beside the guild vendor since it would help newbies find it.. this vendor sells BOA's to players, once they unlock it.. we already know you guys can track stuff via the account as a whole, ie pets that are mailed every time a new toon is created... so raise the cost of heirlooms by like another 1k justice points, and once they are "unlocked" by any level 80+ character then they are available to ANY character on that account, on any server, via the vendor... add a nominal gold fee, like 500-800g or more per piece.

You get a points sink, a gold sink, and the ability for people to play w/e server they feel like playing with friends/family..

Though you guys will prolly never implement it because you are too busy attempting to bleed players like stuck pigs by forcing people to pay for character xfers on their level 10 alt if they want to hang out with friends on a different server.

If i rolled on a new server and wanted to buy heirlooms, how would i have 500-800 gold? Or did I misread that?

EDIT: Dang it, someone beat me to it. :P
Edited by Someonelse on 5/2/2011 5:34 PM PDT
80 Troll Druid

Listen now, if it was that easy then don't you think the many teams of people working on this all night and day would have figured it out. Nothing is as easy as it seems. And it doesn't seem easy to create an ingame vendor connected to a system, bought outside the actual game.
Edited by Dastro on 5/2/2011 5:39 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Warrior
its hard to create a system to mail between servers, when servers are not designed to receive data from other servers...

also, if you reroll to play with friends, then they can loan you gold to level up, if you just reroll to level upa brand new toon, well.. you wouldnt have the boa gear anyways sooo what are you qqing about.

blizz basically stated it is far too complicated to mail between servers, and thats prolly true, since the system is old and was never hardcoded to do anything of that nature, in fact it was designed to stop people from transferring stuff between servers to protect economies...

this is a cheap easy fix and we all know blizz loves cheap and easy fixes.. so implement it and lets gogo already.

the bnet checksum is already implemented, it already knows if you have bnet bound pets, which it mails you when you make a new toon, im sure similar code can be implemented to allow a vendor to do a checksum on the bnet account, to a spreadsheet that would simply have a 1 for boa gear purchased, and a 0 if it is not purchased.
Edited by Rùn on 5/2/2011 5:51 PM PDT
85 Undead Mage
Or instead of paying for it at the new server...have the server that it is unlocked on pay it and then the others can just get it from the vendor...or bank...or gbank.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
05/02/2011 05:39 PMPosted by Dastro
Listen now, if it was that easy then don't you think the many teams of people working on this all night and day would have figured it out. Nothing is as easy as it seems. And it doesn't seem easy to create an ingame vendor connected to a system, bought outside the actual game.

I think there are probably easier solutions to cross-server BoAs. I don't believe any of them go with the concept that Blizz has for BoAs.

The main hold back is architecture. You need the ability for one server to copy your item to another physical machine and then destroy it on the local side safely. That's a very dangerous process and why it can take 24 hours to transfer your characters. The different battlegroups don't talk to each other.

The concept aspect is different. The concept is that you buy one a single piece and send it to yourself. If you buy one heirloom piece, they only want you to have that one heirloom piece on only one character. It's a hand-me-down.
100 Blood Elf Warrior

I love when people assume this is easy.

Name me one item, just one, that can be acquired in-game, that the other servers know about.

Take your time.

OK, time's up.

Anyway, they've said they're working on it. No amount of whining for it faster here on the forums is going to help at this point.

Pro tip: if the server can collect data from bnet, bnet can collect data from the server
Pro tip: if you can mail boa's from one account under a single bnet account to another wow account, bnet can talk to servers and servers can talk to bnet.

also, who says the old gear has to be destroyed in the process? really what is the difference between mailing the gear between alts and playing or having 4 alts with heirlooms? i know my main has xfered quite a few times, and ive forgotten heirlooms and just bought new ones... it's not game-breaking in any way.
Edited by Rùn on 5/2/2011 6:00 PM PDT
85 Worgen Warrior
Congratulations on saying that the solution is easy, then completely failing on finding a suitable solution. I'm sure you'll get a call from Irvine any minute now.
85 Goblin Warrior
05/02/2011 05:12 PMPosted by Rùn

They aren't forcing anyone to transfer anything. You are free to reroll on any server you want and start from scratch. If you want luxury items, you're going to have to pay a premium. QQ more.
80 Troll Druid
I think there are probably easier solutions to cross-server BoAs. I don't believe any of them go with the concept that Blizz has for BoAs.

Yes, but no matter what they do they have to rewrite some code. The servers were never meant to interact with each other like this.

But, their teams probably would have already looked at using the "buy on blizzard store, get at everyone of your characters" system already. So that means that this suggestion is pointless, because they already decided it wouldn't work or are already using it to create the system for sending BoAs cross-server
100 Blood Elf Warrior
05/02/2011 06:00 PMPosted by Lothax
Congratulations on saying that the solution is easy, then completely failing on finding a suitable solution. I'm sure you'll get a call from Irvine any minute now.

congratulations on clearly knowing the solution, but being so amazing you offer no insight as to what it should be.
85 Night Elf Hunter
05/02/2011 05:54 PMPosted by Deshala

I love it when people don't have any reading comprehension.

I think it is reasonable to assume the suggestion was saying that a level 1 alt on a new server is expected to shell out a 'nominal fee' of 500 gold that they clearly wouldn't have. I'm not sure why you're mocking someone's reading comprehension when that thought is so easily comprehended.

Now clearly, the OP could have also meant that the 'nominal fee' is paid by the high level character upon purchase of the heirloom in order to be able to unlock it on any toon on any server. That isn't exactly what they said though.

And how one would expect a level 1 toon on a brand new server to have any gold available to them is beyond me. Either way, I don't think anyone was really having trouble with their reading comprehension here...I think it was a matter of the author being vague about a particular detail of their suggestion.
90 Draenei Paladin

I love it when people don't have any reading comprehension.

Indeed, my reading skills might have failed me. What I understood from OP's post was:

step 1 - "unlock" the BoA on my main, by having a level 80+ character capable of buying heirlooms.

step 2 - now that it's unlocked, ALL my characters on ALL servers should see heirlooms available for what he described as a "nominal fee" of 500-800g.

what did I miss? that brand new character on a brand new server won't have 500-800g per piece (precisely because it's a new character on a new realm). What is the benefit of OP's suggestion?

05/02/2011 05:58 PMPosted by Rùn
Pro tip: if the server can collect data from bnet, bnet can collect data from the server

"if the client can download something from a server, then they must be able to upload any data to that server as well".

It's not always a two-way lane, for lots of reasons.
Edited by Nemuraan on 5/2/2011 6:07 PM PDT
85 Tauren Priest
How about players just buy the BoA and there will be a Heirloom Bank of getting Heirlooms. There is a number next to the item to state if the BoA's are in there or not and how many there is. And any of your characters can grab the Heirloom as long as it's available or you put it away in the Heirloom bank on your other characters. EZ. Why do you have to pay huge amount of gold or even worse, pay more Justice Points? I just want to get my leveling over with IMO and not have to stop my progress of getting gear on my level 85. No need for all of that.
80 Troll Druid
05/02/2011 05:58 PMPosted by Rùn

It may have not been made as a two way trip. They probably never thought they would have confiscated and item bought on bnet before.

This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]