Rift: A throwback to classic WoW

90 Pandaren Warrior
This isn't a "LOL RIFT IS GONNA KILL WOW" post. This is a post for Blizzard to see and possibly think on.

I bought Rift over the weekend after a disappointing week of grinding ZA and ZG. To an outsider, Rift just looks like a WoW clone. The interface, the combat, the soul trees, everything looks the same. And in a way, they are right, but Rift doesn't just copy the play style of WoW-current, it is a throwback to how WoW used to be.

The main hook of Rift are, in fact, rifts. Small to Massive world events that can hit a zone and wipe out every quest giving NPC in a town, or lock down a road that passes between towns. These rifts are impossible to solo for a character of the level they are designed for. A level 10 can't solo a level 10 rift, but the game is designed that you could be standing around one and all the sudden you are in a group with 4 other people. Public groups and quests are something that Warhammer did, and it is an amazing feature.

Warcraft used to be ripe with world events, like the AQ opening event, and group quests were available in every zone. I have done every zone to near completion in Cataclysm. The only group quest was in Twilight Highlands. Even then I just asked a friend that was already level 85 and we did it easily.

You can level entirely on doing rifts in Rift. A raid of 20 level 10s running around on foot closing rifts is one of the coolest things I've down in an MMO. The rewards are based on participation in the event, rather than the boss dropping a piece of loot.

I don't want Blizzard to just take this feature from Rift and copy and paste it into their game. I want Blizzard to realize that the social and group aspect of a game should be more than hitting the "queue for heroic" button. I should be able to run around Uldum and do more than see Tauren druids farming Whiptail. I want something that requires a group to be a thing in the world, but getting a group for it shouldn't be a challenge itself.

Imagine how unhorrible Tol Barad dailes would be if you got near someone and a button came up "Join open group". You could hit and just form a group, just like that. It wouldn't matter how big the group was. It could be a raid of 40 people just steam rolling the mobs, it would still be better than what happens now.

Bring the Massively Multiplayer back to WoW Blizzard. The game will be better for it.

TL;DR: Bring the Massively Multiplayer back to WoW
Reply Quote
TIL "Massively Multiplayer" means grouping with strangers with or without my consent just to get something done.
Reply Quote
36 Blood Elf Priest
I kind of have to agree.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Seeing as how I don't really want to play Vanilla WoW again, I think I'll continue to investigate other games. Happy other people like Rift, though.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I love RIFT, but because my computer only gets 17fps on RIFT i don't play it much, but world PvP for the win! Gonna be coming back to RIFT soon guys!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I am a Guardian you heretic! Your kind shall be wiped off Telara! For the Vigil! lol and Btw sorry it took so long to respond >_< i was at work
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I am a Guardian you heretic! Your kind shall be wiped off Telara! For the Vigil! lol and Btw sorry it took so long to respond >_< i was at work

Defiants ftw, you zealous Guardian scum.

Edit: Keeping on topic, I think Blizzard can try to apply some of Rift's concepts to WoW. A little random 'invasion' now and then headed by some Twilight Cultists, dragons, opposite faction NPCs, local threats, etc.

They don't have to be on the scale of Rift, and probably shouldn't interfere with those who like to quest solo all that much. Just a random group of elite NPCs that spawn and require groups of people to kill them; hell, these guys could attack towns and fight the guards. And this is just an idea, but in order to keep things interesting, killing these groups that consist of opponent faction NPCs could spawn friendly faction NPCs somewhere else in the zone if the zone were contested.

To help, I think public groups should be implemented.
Edited by Halias on 5/4/2011 10:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Rifts do not require cooperation. The people who you are closing rifts with are complete stranger to you and when you part ways you won't remember them.

Sure, you're doing things with other players, but it feels as if you're on your own. That's one problem with rifts. The other one is the annoyance factor.

Rift as a game is a polished, pretty and interesting MMO. Still, it never occured to me to play beyond the beta.
Reply Quote
These rifts are impossible to solo for a character of the level they are designed for. A level 10 can't solo a level 10 rift, but the game is designed that you could be standing around one and all the sudden you are in a group with 4 other people.

So what happens in a year when everyone is max level and you want to level an alt or maybe a new player starts and tries to level? Right now WOW is a ghost town except for SW/ORG, instances and TB. New players and alts cant even get groups for ring of blood, or the northrend/cata equivalents. Blizzard removed group quests because the only way you complete them was to come back 10 levels later and solo them.

So what happens down the road when someone is leveling and can't do anything because they are the only one in the entire zone and they can't close the rifts/invasions? I know they are fun now because the zones are populated, but what happens when the zones become ghost towns?
Edited by Zabre on 5/5/2011 11:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Rift was cool for the first week or two, then it just got extremely boring.

The idea behind random rifts is neat, until you honestly don't care anymore but are forced into the battles because they've overrun the zone your trying to quest in.

Forced combat is never fun.
Reply Quote
12 Undead Warlock
05/05/2011 11:53 AMPosted by Zabre
These rifts are impossible to solo for a character of the level they are designed for. A level 10 can't solo a level 10 rift, but the game is designed that you could be standing around one and all the sudden you are in a group with 4 other people.

So what happens in a year when everyone is max level and you want to level an alt or maybe a new player starts and tries to level? Right now WOW is a ghost town except for SW/ORG, instances and TB. New players and alts cant even get groups for ring of blood, or the northrend/cata equivalents. Blizzard removed group quests because the only way you complete them was to come back 10 levels later and solo them.

So what happens down the road when someone is leveling and can't do anything because they are the only one in the entire zone and they can't close the rifts/invasions? I know they are fun now because the zones are populated, but what happens when the zones become ghost towns?

That's why rift and invasion spawns are based on the zone population. If there is literally only one player in a zone, the vast majority of rifts that spawn will be ones he can ignore (Major) or ones he can solo (minor...though pushing it into the bonus stage sometimes makes those difficult to solo, with the solution being...don't push one into the bonus stage).

Full zone invasions probably won't happen, as they are tied to zone population, and the majority of invasion packs that spawn from single rifts (which happen when a rift has been up for long enough) can be soloed as well, since you can pull one mob at a time from those.

The guy that claimed rifts can't be soloed was wrong. I was just in-game 10 minutes ago, and had soloed 2 rifts my own level (level 13) and another level 14.

As for WoW being a ghost town...I'm a firm believer in the fact that it became that way because Blizzard shifted such a large focus on playing solo. The playerbase has had years to be accustomed to that style, and so having group focused content is alien to them, unless it's at the level cap. Other MMOs keep group content, and it gets done at the appropriately level just as often as it does past the level.
Edited by Berethos on 5/5/2011 12:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks Berethos for that explanation. Well, that makes it better, but I guess the problem is that down the road everything that makes Rift fun and exciting (closing rifts/invasions with lots of other players helping you) will go the way of the WOW err.. I mean dodo bird.

It may be fun right now to close Rifts and fight off invasions with lots of peeps, but later on it will either be people soloing rifts with no invasions or people unable to close rifts and unable to quest because of invasions. Either way I have a hard time seeing how they can keep that fun group element active in lower level zones in the long run.

I think Rift will eventually be like WOW is now with everyone at level cap and nothing to do but raid/pvp. I could be wrong but only time will tell. I really wanted to enjoy Rift - I really did, but it just wasn't exciting for me. I wish everyone lots of fun that play it, however.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Thanks Berethos for that explanation. Well, that makes it better, but I guess the problem is that down the road everything that makes Rift fun and exciting (closing rifts/invasions with lots of other players helping you) will go the way of the WOW err.. I mean dodo bird.

It may be fun right now to close Rifts and fight off invasions with lots of peeps, but later on it will either be people soloing rifts with no invasions or people unable to close rifts and unable to quest because of invasions. Either way I have a hard time seeing how they can keep that fun group element active in lower level zones in the long run.

I think Rift will eventually be like WOW is now with everyone at level cap and nothing to do but raid/pvp. I could be wrong but only time will tell. I really wanted to enjoy Rift - I really did, but it just wasn't exciting for me. I wish everyone lots of fun that play it, however.

I personally hope this never happens. The invasions should keep people OUT of the cities. And the RDF is server only so hopefully a community will still be there in RIFT unlike the silence that is WoW.
Reply Quote
60 Tauren Death Knight

Rift is following the same model as many other MMOs, so the end game is currently the same. Repeated dungeon runs, rep grinds, and raiding. The main difference that I see so far, is the Trion development team is very fast at putting out new content. Less than 2 months in, and they've already had 2 special events, and 1 new raid. Maybe they can't keep that pace, but I like what I see so far.

I've been playing for almost 2 months, and I still love it. Invasions are still fun for me, although I can image they could get boring for some people. I just the like the whole scenario of grouping up with a bunch of people and fighting off invasion forces. The most fun time I've had in an MMO in years, was me and a handful of strangers grouping together and holding off swarms of invasion mobs attacking a small town we were near. Very intense.

I think one of the best things to come out of Rift is the public grouping feature. Turn it off if you don't want to group. Leave it on otherwise.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I must be missing out on all of the fun in rift. I play rift but I'm hardly level 20. Been playing since closed beta. But wow is too distracting at the moment lol. I plan on getting into rift more once I lose all interest in wow lol.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock

The main hook of Rift are, in fact, rifts. Small to Massive world events that can hit a zone and wipe out every quest giving NPC in a town, or lock down a road that passes between towns. These rifts are impossible to solo for a character of the level they are designed for. A level 10 can't solo a level 10 rift, but the game is designed that you could be standing around one and all the sudden you are in a group with 4 other people. Public groups and quests are something that Warhammer did, and it is an amazing feature.

I solo'd same level rifts as a cleric and my warrior friend easily did the same, even making it to bonus rounds. Unless you are talking about major rifts, yeah those are much harder to solo. But most rifts are minor rifts not major ones and minor ones are easy as pie.

I've played Rift since the beta and while it was very amusing in the beginning it starts to really get repetitive and old after a while. My friend already gave up on it and I'm probably on the verge of canceling my sub as well. The rifts were really fun at first but once you hit level 50 you'll be tired of them. You've done it a million times and the rift bosses are faceroll pretty much. That and they don't seem to know how to put on world events without messing up badly. The River of Souls event was terrible. Phase 2 and 3 were a joke. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes and make other events better, who knows...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]