4.2 COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTER changed (again)

100 Troll Mage
4.1: timestamp, event, hideCaster, srcGUID, srcName, srcFlags, dstGUID, dstName, dstFlags
4.2: timestamp, event, hideCaster, srcGUID, srcName, srcFlags, srcFlags2, dstGUID, dstName, dstFlags, dstFlags2

It is somewhat speculation at this point that the two new arguments are for flags, from what I've been able to fool around with, they're 0 for most things, except empty destinations so far (where it does look like flags).

4.1:
SPELL_AURA_APPLIED,0x04000000003FAF22,"Zonker",0x511,0x04000000003FAF22,"Zonker",0x511,6117,"Mage Armor",0x40,BUFF
SPELL_CAST_START,0x04000000003FAF22,"Zonker",0x511,0x0000000000000000,nil,0x80000000,30451,"Arcane Blast",0x40

4.2:
SPELL_AURA_APPLIED,0x020000000019C513,"Zonker",0x511,0x0,0x020000000019C513,"Zonker",0x511,0x0,6117,"Mage Armor",0x40,BUFF
SPELL_CAST_START,0x020000000019C513,"Zonker",0x511,0x0,0x0000000000000000,nil,0x80000000,0x80000000,30451,"Arcane Blast",0x40
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
so we have to redo most of our addons again with 4.2?
Reply Quote
05/05/2011 03:28 AMPosted by Seltin
so we have to redo most of our addons again with 4.2?
It would appear so.

Thanks for documenting this Zonker.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
SIIIIIIIGHHH....

Again?

I hope Blizzard actually has something epic planned for the combat log to warrant these additions.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
ONE
Oh joy, isn't this nice... I'm assuming this is what was causing my extreme FPS spikes when I brought my UI pack from retail over to the PTR... Thanks blizzard... :[

Reported for sticky though :]
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
05/05/2011 06:50 AMPosted by Terini
Reported for sticky though :]

You can vote a post to be stickied :P

05/05/2011 03:23 AMPosted by Zonker
It is somewhat speculation at this point that the two new arguments are for flags, from what I've been able to fool around with, they're 0 for most things, except empty destinations so far (where it does look like flags).

Did you remove hideCaster from your dumps? I don't see the bool...

Also, I just want to say, why?! An "0x80000000" means there is no unit specified... why do we need two flags saying the same thing? Are there any cases where they are actually usefully different?

Refer to: http://www.wowpedia.org/UnitFlag
Edited by Dandruff on 5/5/2011 11:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
SIIIIIIIGHHH....
Again?
I hope Blizzard actually has something epic planned for the combat log to warrant these additions.

Enh, it's a two-line change for most addons, hardly the end of the world. The addons that want to make use of new functionality would have to do more changes anyhow.

05/05/2011 11:01 AMPosted by Dandruff
Also, I just want to say, why?! An "0x80000000" means there is no unit specified... why do we need two flags saying the same thing? Are there any cases where they are actually usefully different?

Um, just because it looks like a bitflag doesn't mean that it has the exact same meaning as the previous unit ID flags. The guess in the OP is that they are additional flags, not duplicate flags.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Um, just because it looks like a bitflag doesn't mean that it has the exact same meaning as the previous unit ID flags. The guess in the OP is that they are additional flags, not duplicate flags.

Ya... still would be nice to know what is going in the additional flags :\
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
i was just coming here to post this and saw someone already did. i was like "sigh, destguid is 10 now?"

lets hope people actually read the warning this time. i posted the 4.1 change in feb on wowi, wowace, and these forums, and about 10 addons were ready to go patch day, rest were an apsolute mess with hands caught between legs going "huh". and the average user clicked "load out of date" thinking it was a fix all solution to mods not working. tech forums buried in "combat lag" complaints for a full week. heh.

get your mod forward compatible now and ease the transition please :)

-- fix for 4.2 which introduces some new argument
-- this is a temporary work-around which just drops the new argument for a quick and easy fix that is compatible with 4.2
if tonumber((select(4, GetBuildInfo()))) >= 40200 then
local oldHandler = mod.COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED
function mod:COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED(timestamp, event, hideCaster, sourceGUID, sourceName, sourceFlags, mysteryArgument, destGUID, destName, destFlags, anotherMysteryArgument, ...)
return oldHandler(self, timestamp, event, hideCaster, sourceGUID, sourceName, sourceFlags, destGUID, destName, destFlags, ...)
end
end

if the second flag becomes useful you can tweak it obviously, more or less though this is if you want it to work on 4.1 and 4.2 right now so your mod doesn't break patch day(at least from CLEU), then an updated version can be released hackless.
Edited by Omegal on 5/5/2011 2:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Warrior
well how soon are they pushing 4.2, because 4.1 came out like what, a week and a half ago?

arent the 0.x patches suppose to come like 3-6 months apart or so?
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
xubera, 4.2 is oging to be an acception, cause 4.1 was not a major content patch despite the version number it has, it was just called 4.1 cause was going to be firelands in first patch, blizzard decided the community wasn't ready for firelands, so they delayed it to 4.2, but since they already had a "4.1" in development, they kept it the same, and threw a couple 5 mans in it. they intend to do 4.2 immediately on ptr and probably gonna see it live as soon as it's ready enough. if i had to guess within 2 months give or take. cuase current content is at it's 6 month mark now in a few days.

they made right call too. they didn't want toc all over again, majority not yet done with ulduar then drop a new raid which had gear that essencially defeated the purpose of going to ulduar for a lot of people, or if they did still go to ulduar, they just strong armed it by overgearing. making the fights like algalon or 0 lights quite underwhelming since you reached them in superior tier gear.
Edited by Omegal on 5/5/2011 12:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
4.1: timestamp, event, hideCaster, srcGUID, srcName, srcFlags, dstGUID, dstName, dstFlags
4.2: timestamp, event, hideCaster, srcGUID, srcName, srcFlags, srcFlags2, dstGUID, dstName, dstFlags, dstFlags2

Thanks for the heads up.

SIIIIIIIGHHH....

Again?

I sure hope so. At the very least, I'm quite interested in what they're planning.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Bump for great visibility
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Bamp 'til stickied.
Reply Quote
6 Undead Mage
I have documented the purpose of the new parameters on wowpedia for other addon authors.

http://www.wowpedia.org/API_COMBAT_LOG_EVENT#Patch_4.2_Base_Parameters
http://www.wowpedia.org/RaidFlag

I've also updated the associated COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED event for 4.1 and 4.2:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Events/C#COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED

In short they are named sourceRaidFlags, and destRaidFlags. Essentially, the old raid target flags that were in the higher order bits of the unit flags have been moved into the lower order bits of their own field, presumably to make more room for both unit-specific and raid-specific flags. The current unit flags only have about 3 bits of space left and were up in the special cases area. The change in 4.2 frees up 8 bits in the unit flags and provides an additional 24 bits for additional raid information (perhaps more raid icons coming?).

-----------------
Author of MSBT (MikScrollingBattleText)
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info5153-MikScrollingBattleText.html
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/mik-scrolling-battle-text.aspx
Edited by Mikord on 5/9/2011 4:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
46 Troll Priest
-- this is a temporary work-around which just drops the new argument for a quick and easy fix that is compatible with 4.2
function mod:COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED(timestamp, event, hideCaster, sourceGUID, sourceName, sourceFlags, mysteryArgument, destGUID, destName, destFlags, anotherMysteryArgument, ...)
return oldHandler(self, timestamp, event, hideCaster, sourceGUID, sourceName, sourceFlags, destGUID, destName, destFlags, ...)
end
end

So, do we just put this in the offending addon's .lua file (like, the first thing in it other than the usual "--[[ bla bla]]" commented out description), or does it actually have to go in a specific spot in said offending addon's .lua file? Sorry, I'm not too good with Lua, but pretty fair with "copy-n-paste". 8^)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
We got the sticky. Maybe authors will notice it this time and we won't have a blowout at 4.2
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
We'll still have a bit of a blowout for a simple fact that people will come to rage how their addons don't work cause patch broke them, before they ever think of looking for updates.
C'est la vie...
Edited by Sedivy on 5/10/2011 12:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
end
end

So, do we just put this in the offending addon's .lua file (like, the first thing in it other than the usual "--[[ bla bla]]" commented out description), or does it actually have to go in a specific spot in said offending addon's .lua file? Sorry, I'm not too good with Lua, but pretty fair with "copy-n-paste". 8^)

that would depend on how your current combat log handler is writen "mod" would probably need to be changed for one.

We got the sticky. Maybe authors will notice it this time and we won't have a blowout at 4.2

Not everyone is going to make forward comatable updates early. quite a few will simply just patch it the day of patch, which will mean people who don't check for updates on a daily basis will still complain their stuff is broken cause they don't know how to check for updates. I just like forward compatability early so the mod can actually be used by people who want to hop on the PTR and test stuff. When people go in there to test firelands, their raidframe, meters, omen, boss mods etc will be useful if they are already 4.2 compatible.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]