How much is a Hyacinth Macaw worth?

85 Gnome Death Knight
Earlier tonight I was grinding pirates up for Booty Bay rep so that I could finish the Zul'Gurub quest line, after tanking my rep in WotLK for the Bloodsail title. I was bored out of my skull and not looting anything until I left the area, returned to Stormwind to buy some cloth/dye for the turn in quest, then I came back to the pirate ships. I noticed one of the pirates I killed in the hold about 10 minutes ago hadn't despawned, so I clicked on him. Lo and behold:

Parrot Cage (Hyacinth Macaw)

I've never been able to put a price on something like this, as I honestly can not justify spending more than 100g on a companion pet. But now I have this thing sitting in my bags, laughing at me as I try to figure out what to do. I'm getting ballpark estimates of about 5000g from guildies, but I've seen them sell for as high as 17k. My realm's auction house is (not surprisingly) lacking in one, so I can't really glean a price from that.

Thoughts, opinions, accolades?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
You could get quite the pretty penny for that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
It depends really. The pool of which this pet now drops is significantly higher. Before it was just those few Bloodsail pirates in southern Stranglethorn around Booty bay...now any mob in Stranglethorn vale can drop it...still like .1% drop I think.

I know on my server it sells for about 7kish. We see maybe 2 every couple of weeks. Before it was one every few months if you are lucky.
Edited by Kaldoran on 5/4/2011 11:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Death Knight
05/04/2011 11:15 PMPosted by Kaldoran
I know on my server it sells for about 7kish
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
05/04/2011 11:14 PMPosted by Kronoin
You could get quite the pretty penny for that.

Yeah, pretty much this. There is probably some one who is dumb enough... err, I mean, dedicated to his vanity pet collection enough, to pay a lot of gold for it.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Could try using trade and asking for offers to see how high you can get. I usually see them around 15k, sometimes less.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Human Paladin
It depends on your server really.

I'd say anywhere from 8-10k. Post it in trade first, I'm sure a collector will throw you a serious offer shortly.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I say post it on your AH for 10k...after the first week if no one bites...drop it by 500 gold...keep promoting it in trade. Do this for a few weeks and see what happens.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
Hmm... I'll drop it on the AH for a ridiculous price (17500g), keep that price for a week, and drop it by 500g every week I guess. I'll probably find a (stupid enough) buyer for over 12500g eventually.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
For something that is potentially that expensive, I wouldn't toss it into the AH, post it in trade whenever you are there. If you sell it for 8000g in the AH, the cut will be 400, which to me is too much to lose over a bit of convenience.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
05/04/2011 11:24 PMPosted by Unholykip
Hmm... I'll drop it on the AH for a ridiculous price (17500g), keep that price for a week, and drop it by 500g every week I guess. I'll probably find a (stupid enough) buyer for over 12500g eventually.
that's the way, start high and if no one buys gradually go lower

edit: grammar is for cool kids
Edited by Ohgodfleas on 5/4/2011 11:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
8-10k sounds about right for skywall too.

I usually see 1-2 up when i'm browsing pets for that amount.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]