Arcane mage rotation for 4.1

87 Blood Elf Mage
Okay, I am having trouble trying to find a rotation for an arcane mage in 4.1

I am almost 85 and would like to get into arcane. Things changed quite a bit in 4.1 and I can't find any decent info online for a good rotation.

I think I have the stats down and i've looked at other mages to get the talents right I believe

Int>hit(cap)>mastery>crit>haste

I think thats right

But what about the rotation and CDs? Any help would be saweeeet! Thanks!
85 Troll Mage
http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t118084-cataclysm_arcane_mage_compendium/#Arcane_Cycles
85 Gnome Mage
its 3 buttons arcane blast x3-4 then arcane missles followed by arcane barrage. and rotatae damage cds as nessasary. i ran my first heroic on this guy last night and was pulling over 10K easy for every fight with with my bad gear. this is just my alt but i wanted to prove that there is no excuse for bad dps comming from an arcane mage. 3 buttons guys proved it to myself and guild master yesterday.
Edited by Weemanjones on 5/5/2011 8:34 AM PDT
85 Undead Mage
05/05/2011 08:33 AMPosted by Weemanjones
its 3 buttons arcane blast x3-4 then arcane missles followed by arcane barrage. and rotatae damage cds as nessasary. i ran my first heroic on this guy last night and was pulling over 10K easy for every fight with with my bad gear. this is just my alt but i wanted to prove that there is no excuse for bad dps comming from an arcane mage. 3 buttons guys proved it to myself and guild master yesterday.

Wow, you're horribad. You pull off pathetic DPS, blame it on having 333 gear, and act like 10K is some how awesome, and act like you're playing Arcane correctly?
85 Blood Elf Mage
Burn all your mana till it's low enough to get the full benefit of your mana restores on AB spam at the start of the fight and whenever mana gem / evocations cd is about to come up, otherwise just try to stay as close to max mana as possible by using an appropriate number of arcane blasts followed by arcane missiles depending on your current mana, and arcane barrage clear your AB stacks if you're getting unlucky with AM procs.
05/05/2011 08:43 AMPosted by Sethmann

Wow, you're horribad. You pull off pathetic DPS, blame it on having 333 gear, and act like 10K is some how awesome, and act like you're playing Arcane correctly?

Thanks for the horrifyingly useless and insulting post.

Would you care to actually EXPLAIN what he's doing wrong instead of being a complete tool and attacking him?
85 Troll Mage
1. spam AB until you lose enough mana that a mana gem will fill you back up
2. pop all cooldowns (including mana gem) and spam AB until you lost enough mana that evocate will fill you back up
3. run a mana-neutral rotation (i.e. you're not losing mana by casting). usually ABx2-3 followed by AM if it procs or ABarr if it doesn't
4. when your cooldowns come back up start at #1

i don't pve, so i don't know how well this works in practice, but this is what i've read.
85 Undead Mage
Thanks for the horrifyingly useless and insulting post.

Would you care to actually EXPLAIN what he's doing wrong instead of being a complete tool and attacking him?

His description on how to DPS as an Arcane Mage is completely wrong.

Correct description:

Arcane Cycles

The basic premise behind Arcane DPS is divided into two main phases, the Burn Phase and the Conservation Phase.

Burn Phase

As the name suggests, this is the primary DPS phase of the Arcane spec and is initiated when Evocation will be off CD when the burn phase is completed and ideally, when at full mana with a 4 stack AB present. A typical scenario would be to AB spam until your mana level is such that a Mana Gem will take you to 100% mana, then pop all CDs and continue to spam AB until you reach 40% mana. This phase ends with an Evocation.
Dependant on encounter mechanics, the burn phase need not necessarily be initiated at the start of the encounter as was somewhat traditional with Arcane. If periods exist were a specific high RDPS is needed, or the boss enters a phase were they take vastly increased damage, then the burn phase can be aligned to that. Flame Orb can also be used to regenerate mana as in some cases it can initiate a high number of AM procs. This could allow for a secondary limited burn phase after Evocation using every available AM proc to regenerate mana.

Conservation Phase

This is a mana-neutral rotation designed to keep your mana near 100% until such time as Evocation is off CD. The exact rotation is heavily dependant on gear and raid buffs and is probably the phase affected the most by the coming Arcane changes. The primary focus of this phase is maintaining as close to 100% mana as possible whilst ensuring that no mana is wasted. There will be some variation in your chosen mana neutral cycle as you take advantage of procs such as Clearcasting and Arcane Potency.
Edited by Sethmann on 5/5/2011 12:11 PM PDT
85 Goblin Mage
It's also important to keep track of intellect procs.

When they activate, your current manas as a % of your total mana will go down but your actually going to want to use a slightly more agressive rotation during this period as your regen will also be increased. This will insure you don't have waisted mana when the proc finishes.

I also like to use a more aggressive rotation in general when all my procs are going since you are seeing a better DPM return.

They are also important to take note of for your evocate. Since you can use those procs to noticeably increase your mana returns (when I can, I prefer to evocate at the tail end of an int proc). It also means that you will want to evocate at a lower % of your mana then without them proccing.
85 Blood Elf Mage
You know what I find funny? So many players from the nine other classes seems to think that Arcane is ridiculously easy, and yet there's a constant flow of posts from 1) people from all nine other classes, and 2) Mages that have no clue how to actually do it correctly.

Surely I can't be the only one that is amused (if not frustrated) by it.
Edited by Kara on 5/5/2011 3:40 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Mage
It's not really a big deal if people playing other classes don't understand how a spec works.
90 Human Mage
05/05/2011 08:36 PMPosted by Kolzi
It's not really a big deal if people playing other classes don't understand how a spec works.

Well, it's not really a big deal if you find a hair in your soup, either; it was probably thoroughly cooked and sterilized, and even if it wasn't, it's unlikely to cause any health issues.

But still. It's a hair. In your soup.

I'm with Kara. I get tired of the stupid.
43 Blood Elf Hunter
Arcane is easier than a lot of other specs. Thats the truth of it. I've read the EJ forums on a lot of classes so I won't regurgitate whats written there, just know that as far as rotations go it probably takes the least amount of finesse.

This game isn't hard though so the use of subjective terms like "easy and "hard" become relatively silly.

I don't care if I have to use one or two more buttons than an arcane mage.

85 Goblin Warlock
because facerolling AB till your mana is low, using a CD to gain mana then facerolling AB some more is a hard concept deserving of prestige and gratitude
90 Human Mage
So very many hairs in the soup.
85 Blood Elf Mage
05/05/2011 08:36 PMPosted by Kolzi

It's not so much that they don't understand how it works. I can live with that. It's that they then go on to bash the spec based on their ignorance and/or post their own wrong ideas of how it works.

WAITER I WANT A NEW SOUP OR THIS IS COMING OUT OF YOUR TIP
85 Orc Warrior
No spec is hard to play at an average level. I think everyone can agree to that.

Playing it at top ranked level is a completely different story.

At that point it requires not just a fluent knowledge of your class and how to min/max it to it's maximum potential. But also a fluent understanding of fight mechanics of each enounter allowing your to further maximize your potential DPS by taking advantage of the encounter. Thats the challenge. Not hitting your rotation. This is true for every class.
Edited by Raeani on 5/6/2011 9:21 AM PDT
85 Night Elf Mage

Well, it's not really a big deal if you find a hair in your soup, either; it was probably thoroughly cooked and sterilized, and even if it wasn't, it's unlikely to cause any health issues.

But still. It's a hair. In your soup.

I'm with Kara. I get tired of the stupid.

God I love you.

05/06/2011 06:12 AMPosted by Ohglnger
because facerolling AB till your mana is low, using a CD to gain mana then facerolling AB some more is a hard concept deserving of prestige and gratitude

Because this is totally how you play Arcane.

Yup.
Edited by Illythia on 5/6/2011 9:30 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]