Frequent Disconnects

90 Gnome Warlock
Okay, Blizzard...

This is really starting to get annoying. It's time to take a good, long look at your new networking code. I've disabled all add-ons, unchecked the "more bandwidth for less lag" feature, and I'm still disconnecting from the server when changing characters. TCP/IP and UDP programming is pretty cut and dry, as is the server-client model of communications. This is simpleton stuff. What the heck gives here?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
If it's so simple, why don't you offer your services to Blizzard to fix it?

Instead of complaining, why don't you post some traceroutes and other troubleshooting methods you've tried to get it to work properly.
Edited by Lottahart on 5/7/2011 12:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
70 Blood Elf Rogue
funny story, they recently fixed something where people were getting dc'd when switching zones. this didn't start happening to me until after they fixed it.

good game, imo.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I too DC alot when changing characters....but usually only then no big deal frustrating yes but eh just relog back in
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
If it's so simple, why don't you offer your services to Blizzard to fix it?

Instead of complaining, why don't you post some traceroutes and other troubleshooting methods you've tried to get it to work properly.

First and foremost, there is no way in hell that Blizzard would ever pay me my hourly rate for doing such a thing. Also, I'm busy with many other projects, and -- most importantly -- I'm here to take a break from them -- not debug others' code.

As far as tracert is concerned, "Your lag != my lag," and their code has to reflect upon this. It's interesting to note that I have perfect communications while in game, yet a character switch is dropping me from their server. This screams to me that they have a bug in their TCP/IP code, when related to database retrieval of a character. You'd think they'd be smart enough to monitor average packet arrival and delay times for a client, and then adjust their code accordingly, but evidently this is not the case.

P.S. Quit trolling, Lottahart.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
funny story, they recently fixed something where people were getting dc'd when switching zones. this didn't start happening to me until after they fixed it.

good game, imo.

I'd be willing to bet the farm that this is also a time where a lot of database retrieval is taking place, and you can bank on it that their TCP/IP code isn't taking this into account. Read: they're treating them as two separate, individual systems and not as a whole.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]