Overrated bands that everyone seems to love

90 Night Elf Priest
This topic is very subjective. Someone could easily say the NY symphony is over rated. It's a matter of taste and opinion. I imagine most every major hit band out there could be named by different people.

I grew up hearing the Beatles but I was pretty young and didn't get the fever. I do feel a lot of their popularity was the women who went nuts over a boy band at first. (I actually enjoy their later stuff)

Pink Floyd is not over rated in my eyes. They have put messages out there that fit what's going on in the world. They definitely know how to put on a show. That's why it caught on and is still selling out whether it's with the members that are left are playing together or whether Rogers or Gilmore is putting on a concert. It does not matter.
There is a reason why bands have lasted the test of time and others haven't. They give the people what they want to hear and are good at entertaining them.

Alice Cooper is someone I felt was over rated but that man is a genius.

that's my 2 copper...

Reply Quote
Beatles, Nirvana (has to be the most overrated band IMO), Pearl Jam
Reply Quote
05/12/2011 09:54 AMPosted by Deftones
Disturbed is a pretty overrated band I never got into their gorilla-howling sound

LOL, what? Gorilla-howling sound? Overrated??? Are you a Beiber fan?
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
03/15/2012 12:45 PMPosted by Temnozar

Disturbed isn't so much overrated as they are just plain awful

^
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/11/2011 11:26 PMPosted by Graardor
The entire genre of rap/hip-hop.

The entire genre of rap/hip-hop aren't the mainstream rappers like Lil Wayne/Nicki Minaj/Drake..

That's like listening to Nickleback or Disturbed and immediately hating rock/metal and biasing your entire opinion of those genres off of those bands.
Reply Quote
03/15/2012 12:45 PMPosted by Temnozar

Disturbed isn't so much overrated as they are just plain awful

Just curious as to what you find awesome in that same genre.

Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
I know they aren't overrated but I just don't get Led Zeppelin.

I only like one song they did and I can't stand them live. It's weird (and everyone I know says it's weird) because I'm a big fan of 70s rock but don't like the biggest 70s rock band.
Reply Quote
Very few of you like music that deserves more recognition.

Karnivool
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Shear
85 Worgen Rogue
ENRAGED

Edited by Shear on 5/9/11 10:19 PM (PDT)

How can you claim the Beatles are overrated?

They were one of if not the most influential bands in history.

I think you need to understand the distinction between overrated and you just not liking them. There is a difference and one does not mean the other.while i agree that the beatles are not overrated, but, as has been pointed out, they didn't break any ground that brian wilson hadn't already broken, and if you talk to anyone that knows anything about the british bands of the 60s, the animals had far more talent, but weren't as marketable. the beatles really weren't doing anything that other bands of the time weren't also doing, they just sold more records cuz chicks digged em.

right now the most overrated band i hear is Nickleback... those guys suck the sweatiest part of my sac... i dont get why they are famous.

Love that they patterned Zaphod Beeblebrox's look from the latest (and sadly last) hitchiker's guide after the lead singer from that band.

Metallica.
Love the music hate the ppl.
Dragonforce
Owl City

Very few of you like music that deserves more recognition.

GASP where are the microphones you have in my ipod that you even know what I listen to
Perferred bands: Mastodon; Tristania, a few Cradle Of Filth (I like music I can understand the lyrics to), Finntroll, Green Day, Alice Cooper, ZZ Top, lotsa old school music like that AC/DC

I like music everyone hates too like ICP but I like them for the humor factor and to watch everyone go insane with hate when I say I like them more than anything else lol
Edited by Mysstraa on 3/19/2012 9:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Justin Bieber, all I have to say.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
05/09/2011 04:39 AMPosted by Javascript

I went to see them for free (friend wanted someone to tag along) and I still felt ripped off.

Garbage band is garbage.
Edited by Disposition on 3/27/2012 6:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
05/13/2011 06:02 PMPosted by Mightyquinn
The Beatles? Overrated? Blasphemy. They deserved their fame. Their sound just can't be beat. If only they covered some Bob Dylan to combine top lyrics with top sound, but.... The world might've exploded from pure awesome.

Agreed. The sad thing about The Beatles is that they were just getting started when they decided to call it quits. Unlike The Rolling Stones or The Who, we never got to see the full potential of The Beatles.
Edited by Cowbacca on 3/27/2012 10:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Radiohead
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Mage
any really famous guitar player.Tom Merello
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Dime Bag Darrel
Etc, etc.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Dime Bag Darrel
Etc, etc.

You know, I thought you were stupid from that thread talking about "core" bands.

This just proves my theory.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Mage
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Dime Bag Darrel
Etc, etc.

You know, I thought you were stupid from that thread talking about "core" bands.

This just proves my theory.

The problem is you don't know what good guitar playing is....

Lets see a !@#$%^- darrel solo- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9raw6qc6hs Holy mediocre, any guitarist that's been playing a few months could do that.

Now lets see a good solo- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5LqFyvAYLo This is impressive, the sweeping patterns are unusual, it has melody, much faster and diverse than the *!@#$%^ solo.Lets see jimi hendrix- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2Gwp9qkoAQ&feature=related A song that any beginning could and does learn.

This one is a joke...comparing them is an insult to Tosin but....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqR7-GYW0iM&feature=related Playing polyrhythms single handedly using tapping, complex rhythms, incredibly diverse sweeping patterns, double finger tapping in odd time sigs and patterns....Just amazing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]