Overrated bands that everyone seems to love

85 Goblin Mage
05/16/2011 08:08 PMPosted by Oflegends
Nickback.

I literally came in here to say this.

Also, I've always been annoyed by AC/DC. Not that they aren't good or whatever, but SERIOUSLY? You ask some country person "so what's your favorite classic rock band" and they go "AC/DC". Then you ask if they have any others, and the answer is always no.
Why? Cause that's the only damn classic rock band most people know about.
They aren't even that good!

Also metallica. WTF is that !%#@? That song master of puppets used to be on my sirius channel all the damn time, and it was like a 20 minute guitar solo thru the whole song. Fun.

I forgot about AC/DC. Horribly overrated as well. Every song sounds the same.

Metallica I used to love, can't really say that they're overrated because they do have some great albums and their instrumentals are amazing. Just listen to "Orion" or "To Live is to Die".
I still get shivers listening to the latter.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Godsmack

The Wallflowers

I hate bands fronted by guys that can't sing for #%!@.

Not too sure about the Wallflowers. I don't ever recall anyone ever raving about them, and they do have at least two amazing songs (Sleepwalker and One Headlight).

I'm talking about bands that are pretty popular and fairly well liked by the public. While most people have heard "One Headlight", I haven't ran in to too many people who could even name who it was by.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Spamtana, all the post shows is that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Oh, and it wasn't "Beatles songs" that Manson thought was a call to start a race war, It was A Beatles song, specifically Helter Skelter. Nor was it drugs that drove his madness but a life of abuse and pain at the hands of his unloving prostitute mother.

Yes helter skelter and after helter skelter was what? Peace harmony with out any black people. Yes drugs were involved obviously i mean c'mon the dude met the beatles and what did they do together they got high. Also, abusive parents can lead to instability but a mixture of drugs, power, bad family leads to bad people in general. stating i have no idea means you come to conclusions to fast.

Street gangs today support that statement the equation i have made. Bad family + drugs + power = Bad people, bad actions, overall degeration of society. He made a cult out of Songs that were about peace, drugs, love and twisted them into a race war. Far stretch... imo i do not think his mother beating him as a child caused him to want to start a race war.

As to people commenting to me about liking sublime. Seriously saying Sublime is overrated you might as well say: Nirvana, Drowning Pool, Jimi Hendrix Experience ,and basically every band whom's lead singer died during the Band's Height is overrated since they could not come out with quality material for you that you would like. The Beatles however can rejoin but they don't even in the band's era they made dozens of albums which is enough to get the gist of the band which is : Love, Peace, Drugs.

Edit2: to stay on topic i think Rebecca black overrated.
Edited by Spamtana on 5/16/2011 9:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
- as for an overrated band, other than The Beatles..

Any "classic rock" band. Grew up with troves of friends and family who flocked to Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and all of those other bands you see compiled onto "Rock Hits" albums.

Ugh.

God, I agree with you.

Although, "Over the Hills and Far Away" is one of my favourite songs ever.
Reply Quote
50 Human Hunter
The band "Dev"... WTF is that crap anyways?

OH.. Nickleback. The COUNTRY band that is played on rock radio, I hate country and want rock on my local rock station! They are also played on Sirius Satellite Radio on the hard rock station for some unknown reason.
Edited by Willziak on 5/16/2011 11:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior

They didn't break any ground that the Beach Boys hadn't already.

Rubber Soul influenced Brian Wilson to write Pet Sounds...

I should also mention that Charles Manson is a die hard fan of the Beatles hell he believed their songs were prophecy of a Race War (aka he was High 1/2 of his life thus damaging his brain and therefore making him believe that the Beatle's albums were prophecies).

So? Did Marilyn Manson "cause" Columbine? Of course not. These people were mentally ill and it's impossible to lay the blame on a band of all things.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock

I should also mention that Charles Manson is a die hard fan of the Beatles hell he believed their songs were prophecy of a Race War (aka he was High 1/2 of his life thus damaging his brain and therefore making him believe that the Beatle's albums were prophecies).

So? Did Marilyn Manson "cause" Columbine? Of course not. These people were mentally ill and it's impossible to lay the blame on a band of all things.

well duh i am not saying It was the Beatles fault. I was just mentioning that Charles manson an obvious drug user, maniac listened to the beatles. Drug user + Maniac = Beatles fans in general during their Era. So people quit trying to turn my statements around and comparing it to other tragedies ( also, there is also a reason why i put partheses they are meant to support a statement i made).
And besides those kids at Columbine were really distrubed for some reasons what they listened to can not be the cause because Marilyn Manson "Anti-Christ superstar" never advocated violence it advocated Being different to no conform to what Society says to conform to in overall: Just be yourself.
Edited by Spamtana on 5/17/2011 6:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
26 Draenei Paladin
Nickelback, Puddle of Mud, Staind, all those mid of the road bands that lack any kind of genuine flavor but somehow end up being adored by the masses for their awesome mediocrity.
Edited by Cringus on 5/18/2011 8:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Overrated bands? There are many of them. Most of them suck, but people like them.

Major examples that come to mind include:
- Avenged Sevenfold (and pretty much any other metalcore band, actually)
- Godsmack
- Metallica
- Slipknot
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
How can you claim the Beatles are overrated?

They were one of if not the most influential bands in history.

I think you need to understand the distinction between overrated and you just not liking them. There is a difference and one does not mean the other.

No, they really weren't.

They didn't break any ground that the Beach Boys hadn't already.

The fact that everyone seems to claim they were "OMG SO INFLUENTIAL" proves how overrated they really are.

There is a difference between not caring for their music and not knowing their history. It's obvious you fall into both categories.
Edited by Samaria on 5/18/2011 12:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
05/10/2011 01:10 PMPosted by Kinda
Eminem? I just... I just don't get the appeal. I haven't listened to much of his music, and it's not like it's the worst stuff I've ever heard, but... people I know say he's one of the most talented artists they've ever heard.

Agreed. I feel much the same way about that entire genre of "music"
Reply Quote
26 Draenei Paladin
<rant>
Rap is not really "music", objectively speaking. It's urban self-expression. Hip-hop is music, and can be viewed as a "punk r&b" sub-genre, but r&b is already a stripped out version of the blues, more a vocal style than music, blues is the only one that actually required knowledge of musical instruments. But just like anything else, meanings are stretched and morphed by the media in order to appease the masses and sustain marketability...especially if anyone can argue that "a voice is an instrument too.."...Yes, true, but I'm pretty sure that a person with opera training views herself as a "singer" not a "musician", unless she also plays an instrument. The word, music,' doesn't mean sh*t anymore.
</rant>
Edited by Cringus on 5/18/2011 1:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
60 Tauren Death Knight
I don't want to beat a dead horse in this thread, but if you think the Beatles are overrated, you really must not be familiar with the entirety of their work. No other popular band has gone through the creative evolution that you see in the Beatles. I personally don't listen to their music anymore, but they are one of the most amazing bands in the last 100 years, and I have a huge amount of respect for their musical progression when they were together. Very few other artists are open minded or creative enough to do what the Beatles did.

For me (yes, I'm old): Rolling Stones, Aerosmith,
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
05/18/2011 01:26 PMPosted by Simper
Rolling Stones, Aerosmith,
I was never a big stones fan but I do think they were important in the Beatles development. They needed the rivalry to push themselves.

as for aerosmith, Toys in the attick was pretty good, the rest was pretty bad.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Bring me the Horizon
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
if i had to choose artist or bands

LIL Wayne

to be fair though.. a lot of the old bands in this thread don't deserve to be their..

most of the bands today are terrible, but benefit from advancement in technology
Edited by Masq on 5/20/2011 11:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
76 Human Paladin
Iron Maiden.

They're good, yes. They're not nearly good enough to be as popular as they are. There are loads of heavy metal bands who have put out much better albums for much less recognition. It's a damn shame that a band like Iron Maiden can be so hugely successful while a band like Riot can put out album after album in relative obscurity.
Edited by Endyamon on 5/21/2011 10:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]