Gandalf vs Dumbledore

63 Tauren Hunter
I gotta say it again. OP says "Wizarding Duel to the DEATH". That means no moral self-interventions or pulling back.

Again, I say Dumbledore.

For a couple of reasons. In order to fight to the death, they have to be in the same world, and for the sake of this discussion, that means OUR world, because we'd have to see it to believe it. So Dumbledore has a leg up. Does Gandalf's immortality work when he's not in his own personal universe? Probably not. For all we know, his magic might not work either since the forces of nature are so different. He might be reduced to beating on Dumbledore with his staff or trying to hack at him with his sword.
Whereas Dumbledore has the UNBEATABLE wand, and that does work in our world. And, as headmaster and a former Griffindor, he has the ability to call Godric's sword when in need, and that's unbeatable as well, only taking in that which makes it stronger. Add pheonix tears to heal any grievous wound, and Dumbledore definitely wins. As well as having the ability to apparate, which the white wizard just cannot do, he had to ride that horse to get the back up for the battle w/ Aragorn. No one said it would be a fair fight.

This scenario you created has obvious bias. You separated it in 3 worlds, even though you probably only meant it to be 2, but Dumbledore's world is not our world. There is no such thing as magic in our world therefor it is a separate universe. So in this scenario it would actually be an Old dude with a stick VS an Old with with a staff.

Yeah, I agree with Kruua here. I don't know how you get off saying that certain magic works in "our world" but other magic doesn't.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
/Shakes head sadly

Evil my friend....evil is the winner when 2 forces of good fight each other.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
I'd have to go with Raistlin.

But I'll copy/paste someone's elses response to this question that I saw recently:

--

'Lemme break it down. Dumbledore is pretty sweet. He runs a school where all sorts of crazy %@@* goes down. He has a bird that spontaneously combusts and a pretty sweet office. Oh and he dies helping to save the world. Pretty badass.

Then there's Gandalf.

First, he finds the root of all evil, and lays out a plan to save the world. When he gets %@@* on by his buddy Sarumon, he escapes by TALKING TO A MOTH, so that the moth can go get his buddy A GIANT %@#!ING EAGLE TO FLY HIM OFF THE ROOF of Sarumon's high-rise. Then he hooks back up with Frodo, and proceeds as he planned to save the world with Frodo and the gang. But wait, HE DIES. It is important to note however, that he dies FIGHTING A GIANT FLAME DEMON WITH A MOTHER%@#!ING WHIP. Now normally dying would be a problem for most people.

%@#! THAT.

Gandalf just shrugs it off LIKE A BOSS and comes back to finish what he started. He also decided to update his wardrobe with some pimpin' white robes. Now fully pimped out, he tells everybody the plan and then dips for a minute to go handle some other %@@* elsewhere, cause that's how Gandalf MOTHER%@#!INIG ROLLS.

Then right when %@@* starts getting %@@*tier at Helms Deep, he shows up WITH EVERYONE. Oh, and did I mention he shows up on the KING OF HORSES....RIDING BAREBACK!!?? So not only does he figuratively have balls of steel, he undoubtedly has ACTUAL BALLS OF STEEL.

Finally, after cleaning %@@* up at Minas Tirith, he peaces out and lets all the hobbits and humans enjoy a world PURGED OF ALL EVIL.

So.

Dumbledore: mentors the younger generation, sacrifices his life for the greater good.

Gandalf: Talks to animals, gives death the middle finger, consistently saves everybody else's ass, and then just leaves everyone with all the spoils of war.

Gandalf WINS.
This sums it up nicely
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Dumbledore would win in a duel with Gandalf with ease.
Edited by Artirius on 5/20/2011 5:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
If we try to fit both of them into our world using the closest analogy then Dumbledore is a senior member of a secret society that can cast magic using wands and spoken pseudo Latin spells and Gandalph, based on information from the Silmarillion, is an angle who has temporally taken on the form of an aged mortal while fulfilling a mission on Earth.
Reply Quote
70 Gnome Rogue
i never finished the third book of lotr, but beyond the fight with the balrog, i never got the impression he was a badass.

Not saying that he wasnt, but seriously, nothing was explained, i didnt even know wtf a balrog was till i read this thread.

the books did a very poor job at explaining Gandalfs badassness, or the fact that he is this immortal being, unless all the explanation is in the last 150 pages of the third book.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
I find "Gandalf/Dumbledore" a much likelier situation than "Gandalf vs Dumbledore". And no, I'm not interested in reading your literary impressions on the topic.
Reply Quote
Gandalf by a long shot.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
/Shakes head sadly

Evil my friend....evil is the winner when 2 forces of good fight each other.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
I'll tell you who wins.

Tim the Enchanter.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
he escapes by TALKING TO A MOTH

Only happens in the movie.

anyway...

Trying to get around the basic question by arguing what world they would have to be in or what magic they would have at their disposal is meaningless. They have what they have, or the question is invalid.

So what do they have?

Gandalf does not have the ability to resurrect himself. He was sent back, he did not do it himself or even of his own desire or accord.

Dumbledore does not have the use of the killing curse. When Harry uses crucio on Bellatrix, Voldemort instructs that he has to mean it, which Harry really doesn't in a fundamental way, because he is not a cruel person. Dumbledore similarly couldn't cast avada kedavra and mean it, because he is not a killer.

Gandalf has a sword and a staff.

Dumbledore has a wand and a phoenix.

Gandalf has the ring of fire, offering him special protection from fire, and gives him an affinity for such spells.

Phoenixes are immune to fire, and would likely impart a similar benefit to their wizard. Also, Dumbledore demonstrates adeptness with both fire and water spells.

Dumbledore has the Hat, from which he could presumably draw Godric's sword.

Both have use of protective spells.

Both seem equally intelligent.

Phoenix tears could heal Dumbledore if he were wounded.

Gandalf could "uncloak" himself and fight like an angel, though this would likely end in his death (no more mortal body). I believe this is how he defeated the balrog, and subsequently died.

Ultimately, I don't think they could do any real damage to each other, unless Gandalf pulls out the angel card and kills them both.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Hm I don't know they are both great characters, but since I am such a Harry Potter fangirl I'll say Dumbledore :P
Reply Quote
83 Human Death Knight
I think Gandalf's got this.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
05/08/2011 12:36 AMPosted by Gavirix
Wizarding duel to the death. Who wins?

Gandalf, considering he is practically a god and all.

But Raistlin would destroy them both considering in one alternate universe he was a god killer.
Edited by Shadê on 6/23/2011 4:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
I gotta say it again. OP says "Wizarding Duel to the DEATH". That means no moral self-interventions or pulling back.

Again, I say Dumbledore.

For a couple of reasons. In order to fight to the death, they have to be in the same world, and for the sake of this discussion, that means OUR world, because we'd have to see it to believe it. So Dumbledore has a leg up. Does Gandalf's immortality work when he's not in his own personal universe? Probably not. For all we know, his magic might not work either since the forces of nature are so different. He might be reduced to beating on Dumbledore with his staff or trying to hack at him with his sword.
Whereas Dumbledore has the UNBEATABLE wand, and that does work in our world. And, as headmaster and a former Griffindor, he has the ability to call Godric's sword when in need, and that's unbeatable as well, only taking in that which makes it stronger. Add pheonix tears to heal any grievous wound, and Dumbledore definitely wins. As well as having the ability to apparate, which the white wizard just cannot do, he had to ride that horse to get the back up for the battle w/ Aragorn. No one said it would be a fair fight.

Well, see...your logic is flawed. Cuz...Dumbledore's magic doesn't work in our world either. So then Gandalf still wins cuz he knows how to use a sword.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Gandalf would definitely win, but Dumbledor would make a better teacher. Gandalf would be all:

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Gandalf would definitely win, but Dumbledor would make a better teacher. Gandalf would be all:

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

Lol, that was funny. :P
Reply Quote

Again, I say Dumbledore.

Well, see...your logic is flawed. Cuz...Dumbledore's magic doesn't work in our world either. So then Gandalf still wins cuz he knows how to use a sword.

You guys obviously missed the whole point of what he was saying...the Harry Potter universe does take place in our world technically speaking they are on Earth where magic just happens to exist...we are not on Middle Earth or the LotR realm... not to mention you guys seem to be forgetting that both magics can be done without the use of a wand OR staff...

but anyways I can't choose who would win because I like them both, plus I don't think they would fight each other in ANY circumstance... Here is a real battle Gandalf, Dumbledore, Medivh, Khadgar and Doctor Strange vs Sarumon, Lord Voldemort, Ner'zhul, Queen Azshara and Doctor Doom in an ultimate battle of magic :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]