Gandalf vs Dumbledore

85 Blood Elf Mage
1 spell is all i would need
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
05/16/2011 06:40 PMPosted by Arbiter
The first one to pop Counterspell when the other one cannot juke the cast.

+1
Reply Quote
30 Draenei Shaman
I'll indulge my nerd side here.

Not really a fair fight. Gandalf has access to a brand of "magic" (using that term very loosely) that Dumbledore doesn't.
Reply Quote
60 Goblin Mage
As far as how interesting or well written the characters are I'd say Gandolf.

As far as fighting to the death I'd say Gandolf.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Death made Dumbledore die, it just made Gandalf's brights brighter.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
In HP it's pretty clear that only the most basic of things can be done sans wand (the more powerful the wizard, the more powerful the non-wanded spells), however you don't see Voldemort running around killing people sans wand. It just isn't feasible within the realm of Harry Potter to cast without a wand since it seems to act as a focusing device for any magic.

Gandalf can do this most powerful stuff without a twig.

Hrmm... just to point out in lotr the wizard's staff is just as important for channeling magic as the wands are in HP. Sarumon basically became a worthless nothing after Gandalf broke his staff and everyone seemed to universally know that the staffs were the key to a wizards power. The only thing i recall gandalf doing without his staff is lighting pine cones on fire in the hobbit.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I'm also going with Gandalf. As written, he has few practical constraints.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Gandalf is also immortal (at least aging-wise)!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
10/01/2011 02:33 AMPosted by Dumbledøre
1 spell is all i would need

Very good point. However, would Dumbledore have the will to use it if need-be?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Gandalf: We have no idea what his upper limit might be in terms of spell-casting.
Dumbledore: Knows the one-shot, insta-kill, a fixed Broken I.W.I.N. Button, though he might not use it.

Honestly, with Gandalf, there's even the possibility that he could magic up an immunity to the killing curse. J.K. Rowling sets clear limits on the magic her characters can do, J.R.R. Tolkien doesn't.

So, I say Gandalf.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
Gandalf for sure. He's an immortal bamf.

Dumbledore is just an old dude with a wand...
Reply Quote
wait wait wait gandalf the gray or gandalf the white?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Dumbledore.
Reply Quote
Gandalf, because he's a Mary Sue. He was written as an immortal, so of course he's going to win.

Fanboys can stew in those thoughts. (Coming from someone who loves LOTR more than HP.)
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
gandalf is an istari, an agent of the valar. dumbledore is a wizard, and very mortal. while i love dumbledore, he has no chance in terms of raw power, mystical might or physical strength. that being said, they wouldn't ever fight, considering their alignment for the power of good, and lack of conflict whatsoever.
Reply Quote
I agree with those saying Gandalf but...

Gandalf is just a servant of the Valar.

Dumbledore was a rebel. He followed his own path, even in the face of the establishment.

Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Dumbledore.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Dumbledore, although I have no clue who Gandalf is.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]