Remote App and Authenticator Release Notes

(Sticky)

80 Night Elf Hunter
I just attempted to called Blizzard once I got off the phone with my Bank's Fraud unit. I made a purchase of the "remote" app using my bank card, as a result, my bank informed me that someone has been trying to make other purchase using my card ....following me buying the "remote app" online, and that they have frozen that account (once they saw the strange stuff going on.)

Therefore, this ticket is designed to let you all know that there is a BREACH IN SECURITY IN REGARDS TO REMOTE APP. CHECK your bank accounts!!!! Thanks goodness that my Bank was on it.
Reply Quote
Quality Assurance
I just attempted to called Blizzard once I got off the phone with my Bank's Fraud unit. I made a purchase of the "remote" app using my bank card, as a result, my bank informed me that someone has been trying to make other purchase using my card ....following me buying the "remote app" online, and that they have frozen that account (once they saw the strange stuff going on.)

Therefore, this ticket is designed to let you all know that there is a BREACH IN SECURITY IN REGARDS TO REMOTE APP. CHECK your bank accounts!!!! Thanks goodness that my Bank was on it.

This is not correct and is a misunderstanding of the process by which bank fraud occurs. There is nothing in either the WoW Mobile Armory or the Battle.net Mobile Authenticator that could possibly be tied to a bank account, nor does it act as a back door of any sort.

You entered your credit card information online using a web browser on a computer that we cannot make any claims to being secure. We use a secure site, but if your credit card info is stored anywhere in the browser's cach or you're choosing for the browser to "remember" the info, that may be the reason for this.

If you have a trojan or a keylogger on your computer, you could be unknowingly providing this data directly to a hacker or bot.

Please, I urge you not to make your conclusion that it's the app because otherwise you may erroneously remove it from your mobile device, thinking you thwarted the breach in security, when the breach is in reality coming from an entirely different source.

We don't merely put out applications hoping they're secure, we have a security team monitoring our system 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

For more information please read the following articles: http://us.battle.net/support/en/games/wow/accounts-security
Reply Quote
Quality Assurance
You may also wish to contact our customer support team regarding a possible breach in your Battle.net account's security. Here's everything you'll need to know in order to do this!

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/account-compromise-what-to-do

I'm truly sorry that this happened to you. Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Nothing on this program works since 5.0 patch WTF
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
my account has had the authenticator removed. i didn't remove it... when i try to put it back on it says invalid code.... i see no updates for my iphone app.
Is this something wrong with my phone or is my account messed up?
Reply Quote
Quality Assurance
my account has had the authenticator removed. i didn't remove it... when i try to put it back on it says invalid code.... i see no updates for my iphone app.
Is this something wrong with my phone or is my account messed up?

Have you tried getting a new Serial from the Mobile Authenticator? If you go to the About page there's a way to change the serial on the device so that you may add a new serial to your account.
Reply Quote
7 Worgen Druid
I was on the armory and when someone earned an achievement it showed this

[Ruby] has earned the achievement [(null)]!

I asked what it was and they said level 10
Reply Quote
Quality Assurance
I was on the armory and when someone earned an achievement it showed this

[Ruby] has earned the achievement [(null)]!

I asked what it was and they said level 10

We verified that this is working properly both in our current build in test and on live. If it occurs again, please let us know.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Every time i try to log on into the Mobile app on my IPhone my account keeps saying that its been locked, once i unlock it i try again and it keeps locking up? I used to have this app on my Android back when it was first released and would like to use it again on my Iphone but HATE my account getting locked every time i try to log in... i know its not someone trying to hack me because i have my authenticator and sms protection so i MUST be the app, would be nice if Blizz could fix it
Reply Quote
Quality Assurance
Every time i try to log on into the Mobile app on my IPhone my account keeps saying that its been locked, once i unlock it i try again and it keeps locking up? I used to have this app on my Android back when it was first released and would like to use it again on my Iphone but HATE my account getting locked every time i try to log in... i know its not someone trying to hack me because i have my authenticator and sms protection so i MUST be the app, would be nice if Blizz could fix it

This is a server issue related to our risk system and the IPs that are accessing Battle.net. We have a sticky post in another forum regarding this issue, with potential solutions for you: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8729062836
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
That link gives crap advice and I've opened a ticket for this exact same issue. There are many other apps out there that can understand and establish secure connection via other means than IP logging. A mobile app on a device that moves around is almost always going to have a different IP address each time it accesses and locking an account based on that is very poor design. This is something that should have been addressed a long time ago seeing as this app is years old and this isn't new. I come back every now and again and try it, always with the same result. If you can't figure out how to make a mobile app that doesn't lock out the user's account, remove it or remove the function that locks the account. If it's the auction or guild chat parts that are an issue I'd be happy to have a toggle that turns them off.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Stupid thing for me is I can log into one of my accounts with the mobile app that is no longer active! I pay money to renew my other account and every time I try to log in using the app, BAMMM! account suspended. Bloody stupid Blizzard!
Reply Quote
Just out of curiosity.... Does blizzard still maintain this app? I mean its not a necessary thing, as most mistake it to be, it definitely comes in handy when I'm in the hospital. Which is often. But lately it acts hinky. Shows a shadow portrait of my toons on Anvilmar and hates logging into the guild chat for that server. Seems fine for my main server Hyjal. Except whispering is hit or miss. I do appreciate the app very much, especially since I came down ill and I hope its back to its top working condition once more. Thanks.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
For the past week or so, anytime I try to open this app, it crashes while logging in. I'm using an iPhone 4S, w/ up-to-date iOS7.
Reply Quote
Any news on whether WP8 will be getting the remote app at all
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]