My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic addon

2 Night Elf Hunter
Would it be possible to have a pony from My Little Pony hop around your screen? Like a little pony friend?

If it is possible, would anyone be interested in creating it? It's very appreciated =D
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Warrior
it is possible
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
There's an addon out there called After Dark that does something similar, except with flying toasters on the screen. I'd suggest looking into that and seeing if you can modify it with pony images.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
LOL
Sorry I shouldn't laugh but just the thought of this on the screen is..hillarious.
Edited by Sedivy on 5/9/2011 8:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
2 Night Elf Hunter
Well, great! I just want a little raiding buddy, something that would hop around screen, or walk around.

If anyone would be able to program (As I can't D=), would it be possible to make one of the main buddies Rainbow Dash? She's my favorite =D, and I'm sure I'd get a 20% increase to my DPS in raids, in 10 seconds flat.
Reply Quote
I am pleased by this idea. I'd definitely have to take a look at this if anyone makes it happen, though hopefully it doesn't take up too much of the screen.

Braeburn can't DPS if he can't see.
Reply Quote
2 Night Elf Hunter
Braeburn can't DPS if he can't see.

http://equestria.electronook.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=755

Any relation, just to ask?
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
+1 like from me :)
Reply Quote
2 Night Elf Hunter
So, is there anyone with programming knowledge that can do this for us? It'd be very appreciated =D. MLP:FIM has quite the fan base as well I hear.

PS: I'm not sure if we're allowed to make addon 'requests' so to speak, on the addons forum.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I suspect this is quite a bit harder to implement than you realize. It isn't just a matter of setting something to jump around on a section of your screen.
You have to have the 3D model. Current 3D model addons use the models that come natively with the game (ie. they're not made by addon authors, but by blizz). Making a 3D model from scratch is an extensive process and requires skill in the field. 3D model that actually moves around and performs actions, even more so.
It requires someone with graphic design background as well as programming knowledge and considerable amount of will and time on their hands to do this, which is a lot harder to find.
Edited by Sedivy on 5/11/2011 12:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Warrior
I'm sure she means a 2d model that jumps on her UI, not her GameWorld
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Heh I didn't mean gameworld. I meant more of something like zmobdb gives you but that can move around. It would look 3d. Just would be confined to 2D area.
Like...humm...virtual girl widget guys love to put on their desktop. You know which one I'm talking about right? Except it would be cartoonish and be MLP instead of half nakkid girls.
Edited by Sedivy on 5/11/2011 1:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
2 Night Elf Hunter
I was thinking about something similar to this:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll302/8u3jc/LuckiestRollsEver_2.jpg

(Also, I just took the first named file out and put it into photoshop for the overview/text/idea). I'm able to provide artwork for walking animations, as I do have alot of time on my hands.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Ahh that would probably make it a lot simpler having all the movements/animation already made.
Edited by Sedivy on 5/12/2011 6:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Hm. Interesting idea, sure...a "virtual pet" within WoW.

Animation is definitely going to be the trick. Blizzard hasn't given us any means with which to create our own frame-by-frame animations (addon "animations" are really just taking a static image and manipulating the dimensions/positions/colours). You'd essentially have to write a function that calls 24 different frame texture swaps (the standard "cartoon animation framerate") every second in a recursive loop per animation. While certainly possible, I can see that generating a significant amount of CPU overhead.

Then there's memory considerations as well. Normally there's really not much to worry about when it comes to addon memory usage, but when you're talking a different image every 1/24th of a second the amount of memory used simply to cache the frames adds up very quickly (assuming 5kb per image a 5-second animation would take up 1.2mb, which is pretty hefty in the addon world).

Possible? Sure. Worth it? Well...I can think of easier ways to go about "girling up" my UI. :lol:
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Suddenly pony-related topics in World of Warcraft.

(No Scootabuse)

Also I just remembered the promise of ponies, these MLP: FiM ponies are best ponies
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Warrior
@Amenity

would it really be that much, the LFD eye is 24 frames changing every 1/24th of a second to get the left to right, then blink movement. All the images would be loaded upon login, then switching them out should be fairly low maintenance, I would imagine. I've always assumed Gatherer HUD was texture overloading for that 3D appearance, and I see no downside to having it up or down when farming
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
@Amenity

would it really be that much, the LFD eye is 24 frames changing every 1/24th of a second to get the left to right, then blink movement.

Just by watching the eye you can tell it's animated at a much lower framerate than that (if I had to guess I'd say about 10 FPS or so...it's not a very smooth animation, which is fine for something simple like that but would look pretty terrible for an entire horse). I'm sure it's also using some frame translation as well (i.e., the pupil is probably a static image that's simply being moved, instead of it actually being animated frame-by-frame).

05/12/2011 10:04 AMPosted by Xubera
I've always assumed Gatherer HUD was texture overloading for that 3D appearance, and I see no downside to having it up or down when farming

Again, it's just manipulating a static image to give the appearance of movement/dimensionality. It's not actually animated.

Hm, I might need to change tacks here to better explain...

Ok, the actual "game" is not technically animated. It's modeled. Everything in the game has a wire-frame "skeleton" with texture "skin" stretched over it, which is then manipulated using some relatively complex math to give the appearance of animation (for a much better analysis of what modeling is, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_modelling).

We, as puny little addon-writing peasants, are not allowed access to that wire-frame universe. In fact, we're not allowed access to the third dimension at all. We're only allowed access to a flat, 2-dimensional plane on which to make our addons. Think of the addon environment as a desk with a few loose sheets of paper strewn about it, the sheets of paper being the frames we can create. We can put a sheet of paper in front of another, or behind another, or slide them about the surface of the table, or draw whatever we want on them, but we can't push them through the table or make them hover above the table. Our world is essentially Edwin Abbot's Flatland.

Now, since we can only interact with this 2-dimensional plane and can't create models of our own to animate, we have to try to "fake it" using our sheets of paper. The only way for us to do this is to take a sheet of paper and rapidly change the image of it many times a second. It's exactly the same principle behind flip-books: Imagine that our addon frame is a pad of sticky-notes, and each note in the stack has a different picture on it. If we flip through the stack of notes quickly, it gives the illusion of movement (you may have done this in school on the margins of your textboooks. I did, anyway...lol).

Blizzard has helped us a bit in recent years by letting us use some of their animation abilities to help us do some very basic stuff like lateral movement, rotation, scaling, etc. but that's pretty much where the line's drawn in terms of true animation. Everything else has to be done by us using those metaphorical sheets of paper. We can create them, move them, change their size, and draw stuff on them, but in the end they're still flat 2-dimensional sheets with very limited capabilities.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It would probably be easier to create something like this outside WoW and customize it to match with your UI settings and addons. Something like Desktop Ponies with some more... robust system to handle allowed/disallowed areas or motion restraints. And then you can use it for whatever else, too.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
05/12/2011 04:37 PMPosted by Duvac
It would probably be easier to create something like this outside WoW and customize it to match with your UI settings and addons. Something like Desktop Ponies with some more... robust system to handle allowed/disallowed areas or motion restraints. And then you can use it for whatever else, too.

Reminds me of this program I once made; I hated this teacher (well, disliked and didn't think too kindly of). So I made a Bobble-Head of him on my desktop. It was quite funny, but probably over the top disrespectful now that I'm thinking about it... :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]