Noob building a new computer, appreciate help

85 Blood Elf Mage
and btw if you do build your pc, go to slickdeals.net. they got a thread usually outlining ridiculously cheap parts

and i usually go for evga when possible. they cost a bit more but they got some of the best warrenties around and just make good parts in general. :)

Just looked at some of those Evga motherboards. They're pretty nice looking.

ya they make it really easy to oc in the bios too. my classified mobo i just dummy oc on and my 2.6 jumps to 3.4 with just one setting(really dont see any need to get it any higher than that)

also evga has a great forum community with super smart people that help and junk. :)
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
Sacrifice graphics for better CPU. WoW stresses CPU more than graphics card.

I recently moved from old Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4Ghz to i5 2500k @ 4.3 Ghz. Although both used same graphics card (Radeon 6950 HD), the difference was night and day for me.

On the older system, in the middle of very crowded Orgrimmar + all graphics maxed + 4x anti-aliasing + true windowed mode, I barely pulled 13 FPS.

On the new system, with same settings, I'm pulling 50 FPS. That's with everything maxed, + 4x anti-aliasing, windowed, and with literally tons of players and NPCs in view.

That's how much difference a good processor makes, given same graphics card.

You can plunk down your money on Sandy Bridge (i5 2500k) processor right now, because the motherboard is slated to be compatible with upcoming Ivy Bridge CPU upgrade, with BIOS update.

Your CPU was probably bottlenecking the 6950, capping the performance at what your CPU could give it. If he plans to play many other games, the GPU is much more important. However, you NEVER want to skimp out on either the GPU or the CPU, because you need to make sure that one isnt bottlenecking the other, and they are on an equal level of performance.

OP, I just made a build for 1200 that gets these framerates in Org, high pop horde dominated server
FRAPS- 30-35
W/O FRAPS- 35-40
W/O FRAPS Shadows Low- 45-55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtYOaKQDFhU&feature=channel_video_title

this video is me frapsing org, all settings on ultra, AA x8, AF x16. Ignore the small studder at the beginning as I turn on FRAPS.

Also, I haven't overclocked my CPU yet (will do it today or tomorrow I guess) so it will probably get better.
Reply Quote
Sacrifice graphics for better CPU. WoW stresses CPU more than graphics card.

I recently moved from old Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4Ghz to i5 2500k @ 4.3 Ghz. Although both used same graphics card (Radeon 6950 HD), the difference was night and day for me.

On the older system, in the middle of very crowded Orgrimmar + all graphics maxed + 4x anti-aliasing + true windowed mode, I barely pulled 13 FPS.

On the new system, with same settings, I'm pulling 50 FPS. That's with everything maxed, + 4x anti-aliasing, windowed, and with literally tons of players and NPCs in view.

That's how much difference a good processor makes, given same graphics card.

You can plunk down your money on Sandy Bridge (i5 2500k) processor right now, because the motherboard is slated to be compatible with upcoming Ivy Bridge CPU upgrade, with BIOS update.

Your CPU was probably bottlenecking the 6950, capping the performance at what your CPU could give it. If he plans to play many other games, the GPU is much more important. However, you NEVER want to skimp out on either the GPU or the CPU, because you need to make sure that one isnt bottlenecking the other, and they are on an equal level of performance.

OP, I just made a build for 1200 that gets these framerates in Org, high pop horde dominated server
FRAPS- 30-35
W/O FRAPS- 35-40
W/O FRAPS Shadows Low- 45-55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtYOaKQDFhU&feature=channel_video_title

this video is me frapsing org, all settings on ultra, AA x8, AF x16. Ignore the small studder at the beginning as I turn on FRAPS.

Also, I haven't overclocked my CPU yet (will do it today or tomorrow I guess) so it will probably get better.

I looked at the two things you mentioned in the commentary of that video, and I believe I have both the i5 2500k and a 6950 2GB. I suppose my issue now is if my RAM and my motherboard are 'good' enough to really play some games like Crysis and whatnot.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
Your motherboard won't directly effect your gaming performance, it just determines how much RAM/what kind of GPU/CPU you can use.

and for RAM you dont really need very much for Crysis. Crysis is just a GPU hog.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]