[PvE] Frost Mage Guide - 4.1

(Locked)

93 Blood Elf Mage
Switch, I'm still curious as to why you don't use DMC:V still. I find myself doing better DPS with that than Rune of Zeth or Necromantic Focus. The proc for DMC:V seems to have a higher uptime than Rune of Zeth (for me, anyways) and gives a little extra damage with it. Plus, I'd rather have the mastery than the crit. Maybe it's just my opinion, but I feel like I'm doing better DPS with the card.

Edit: Oh, I guess you do run ten mans, so you probably have to run more crit. Maybe that's why.

I've done a lot of Sims with the two and RoZ has simmed to be the better dps increase for me. Plus, it's also awesome how i can macro together the "On Use" effect with FFO. Since an FFO out usually dictates a mini-phase of higher damage, it works even better. And yes, the crit from RoZ is very useful, although my group has max raid buffs (aside from focus magic)

What about the trinket off Rag? Is this another situation where we need to use Rawr to determine which trinkets will be BiS for us? Or is there a set list for this?

Also, I had some issues with Rawr last night when trying to figure out reforging for the two upgrades I got last night. Since I am now at the shatter cap, it's devaluing crit so much it's telling me to reforge all of it off my gear. =/ And I think because of that, the gear suggestions are probably off too.
85 Gnome Mage
Trink off Rag has to be BiS. INT is still the best stat and the side effect of the trinket is amazing. I haven't checked in a bit, but when I used rawr to see what would be best for what I have right now it also said Rag Trink was best, I think it was way ahead. DMC and Rune of zeth were really close in both Rawr and Simcraft.

I've noticed that rawr sometimes get really weird on the reforging when you are at that point Thelesis, can't always recreate it.
100 Draenei Mage

I've done a lot of Sims with the two and RoZ has simmed to be the better dps increase for me. Plus, it's also awesome how i can macro together the "On Use" effect with FFO. Since an FFO out usually dictates a mini-phase of higher damage, it works even better. And yes, the crit from RoZ is very useful, although my group has max raid buffs (aside from focus magic)

What about the trinket off Rag? Is this another situation where we need to use Rawr to determine which trinkets will be BiS for us? Or is there a set list for this?

Also, I had some issues with Rawr last night when trying to figure out reforging for the two upgrades I got last night. Since I am now at the shatter cap, it's devaluing crit so much it's telling me to reforge all of it off my gear. =/ And I think because of that, the gear suggestions are probably off too.

VPLC is by far BiS. It gives an amazing amount of intellect and the equip gives me a mindblowing 4.5% of my total damage (this trinket is probably the best for the frost spec out of every single other spec). It'll be hard to let this one go next tier.
Edited by Switch on 10/11/2011 1:10 PM PDT
85 Worgen Mage
The only suggestion I haven't seen, which I think would work, would involve deepfreeze.

Shadow priests got a fity execute function with SW: D, whereby if SW: D is cast at a target under 25%, and the target does not die, the cooldown is refreshed one time, if used again with in a 12 or so second period, SW: D will go on full cooldown.

I think treating deep freeze would be a great way to follow this thinking. But one large tweak: Removing the FoF requirement after the first >25% DF cast. since it all ready does strong damage, there is no need to increase the damage of the spell, removing the FoF requirement within that window would allow you to better capitalize on that 2nd cast.

93 Blood Elf Mage
Okay, that's what I was thinking. It seems like the trinket off Rag is BiS for pretty much every caster. :-)

I've noticed that rawr sometimes get really weird on the reforging when you are at that point Thelesis, can't always recreate it.

Is there anyway around this that you know of? Reforging I don't really care so much about, since I can use wowreforge.com for that, but since it screws up my gear lists, it's pretty frustrating. Now that I've gotten my 2-piece of T12, it's still telling me that the T11 pieces are better, which I don't get. I don't know if that's because of the crit thing, or another issue entirely.
100 Tauren Druid
10/11/2011 12:49 PMPosted by Thelesis

VPLC is BiS for everyone. But, you should note, when that post you quoted was made VPLC was a piece of crap and it was only recently buffed.
93 Blood Elf Mage
I don't think so. The post of Switch's I quoted was from the previous page, which would make it a week old, tops.
100 Draenei Mage
Hey guys it looks like once again, the 4 piece next tier will be AMAZING for frost:

Item - Mage T13 2P Bonus (Haste Rating) now also procs from Pyroblast.
Item - Mage T13 4P Bonus (Arcane Power, Combustion, and Icy Veins) now reduces the cooldown of Combustion by 5 sec, up from 3 sec, and the cooldown of Icy Veins by 10 sec, up from 6 sec.

10 seconds with 10 stacks! Thats a 100 second cooldown reduction (granted it will have to stack, but still). That means icy veins will be up once a minute.....awesome.
2 Human Mage
That's nice, but it still don't mean a lick if we don't get some AoE changes...

Blizz, I am disappoint.
Edited by Incéndiary on 10/13/2011 2:28 PM PDT
100 Draenei Mage
I'm not disappointed yet, it's still very early in the PTR.

When they do narrow down on frost though, it better not be a straight blizzard increase (although i'm sure it will be)

But still, icy veins 5-8 times in a fight? lawl
Edited by Switch on 10/13/2011 2:47 PM PDT
93 Blood Elf Mage
That does sound like it'll be a pretty neat 4 piece for us.

As much as I would like them to completely re-design Frost AoE to make it decent, I highly doubt they'll do that in the middle of an expansion. I think the best we're going to get is Blizzard damage increase.
100 Draenei Mage
That does sound like it'll be a pretty neat 4 piece for us.

As much as I would like them to completely re-design Frost AoE to make it decent, I highly doubt they'll do that in the middle of an expansion. I think the best we're going to get is Blizzard damage increase.

It will be, but a one can hope lol. The best we can possibly hope for is blizzard to benefit from FoF.
100 Draenei Mage
bump
85 Troll Mage
The T13 set as a whole kind of worries me. We'll definitely be reaching a haste softcap, especially with the stacking haste, 1 minute IV, and general stat inflation. Obviously, we'll be at the crit cap with ease. That leaves only mastery for our secondary stat. It makes me even more worried that PvP will obviously be getting a nerf soon, and I'm really hoping that mastery isn't the target. That is, of course, unless mastery changes for the better of PvE.
90 Gnome Mage
So I was running a random Troll Heroic and dropped group after the first boss. No wipes, no one dies and we got him down fast then the Tank out of nowhere says: So Mage are you expecting to get carried? Advice, go Arcane. I was pulling 14k dps in the fight and he starts in on me.

Ugh, why oh why must people do this? I was in several groups today and never heard one complaint but saying hey please keep doing that frost thing on certain fights. Is Frost still that hated for PVE?
90 Gnome Mage
I forgot to add I was 2nd in DPS the entire fight. I thought, I was kicking butt lol....
Edited by Neshamah on 10/15/2011 3:10 PM PDT
Sounds like you just had a tank who was a jerk. People say things like that, even if they don't know what they are talking about, to bolster their own failing self-esteem. The veneer of bravado is a dead giveaway.

14k is not being carried. You'd have to do half of that before most groups would even comment.
Edited by Sehra on 10/15/2011 3:22 PM PDT
100 Tauren Druid
10/15/2011 02:46 PMPosted by Neshamah
No wipes, no one dies and we got him down fast then the Tank out of nowhere says:

If I get someone that says nonsense like that I pull agro off him on the first pull that I can (note: that requires you to Deep Freeze something as your opening salvo). Then he can complain about my DPS all he wants as he tries to get agro back.

Even though it's you doing bad, it makes everyone else think the tank sucks.
Edited by Seiryu on 10/15/2011 4:58 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Mage
10/15/2011 02:46 PMPosted by Neshamah
Ugh, why oh why must people do this? I was in several groups today and never heard one complaint but saying hey please keep doing that frost thing on certain fights. Is Frost still that hated for PVE?
Your best advice is to tell him to shut up and let your efforts speak for themselves. I've had occasions where people openly questioned my spec at the beginning of a heroic. I've also had occasions where people have been impressed by my damage at the end of one.
90 Gnome Mage
And this evening I got a spot in a PUG Raid with a guild. We downed 3 out of the 6 bosses of BWD before the tank had to go and fight a fire.

So yes, in this Raid, with geared players I heard not one complaint about my DPS and we had a blast - made my earlier events of the day fade away. Matter of fact I have an open invite to any run they are doing :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]