[PvE] Frost Mage Guide - 4.1

(Locked)

85 Blood Elf Mage
I still get !@#$ from my guildies on a near daily basis for being Frost. Most of them, it's just good natured fun because they know it gets a rise out of me. From the jerks, just ignore them. Let your DPS speak for itself.

There was a ZA run I did a couple months back where the tank's main was a mage, and he was quite impressed with the damage I did. I ended up doing about 20k or so on the last boss. Nothing super spectacular, but I managed to convince him that Frost wasn't useless for PvE like a lot of people still think.
90 Draenei Mage
lol finally. Had to send an email to get it through to sticky.

I still get !@#$ from my guildies on a near daily basis for being Frost. Most of them, it's just good natured fun because they know it gets a rise out of me. From the jerks, just ignore them. Let your DPS speak for itself.

There was a ZA run I did a couple months back where the tank's main was a mage, and he was quite impressed with the damage I did. I ended up doing about 20k or so on the last boss. Nothing super spectacular, but I managed to convince him that Frost wasn't useless for PvE like a lot of people still think.

Yeah, i always love proving people wrong with frost; however, i have never had an issue with it. The most i got even from day 1 on my team was whispers saying stuff like, "You play frost?!"
90 Gnome Mage
Glad to see this thing finally stickied. It's helped me quite a bit.
85 Dwarf Mage
I have started playing again and frost like always but @ least I am completing in random dungeons and having some fun, I started @ 80 xfered to Alliance and not sure that I will stay Worgen?!?!??!

GOOD to see FROST is used in raiding.
About damn time! Grats on the sticky.
90 Draenei Mage
So based on these:

Current: http://www.simulationcraft.org/422/Raid_T12H.html

4.3: http://www.simulationcraft.org/430/Raid_T12H.html

Would you guys think frost could actually use a single target buff?
Edited by Switch on 10/19/2011 4:59 PM PDT
I don't know... no 4.3 changes for Frost were announced, and the T13 bonus seems powerful as hell.
85 Undead Mage
So based on these:

Would guys think frost could actually use a single target buff?

Nope, look at the classes that surpassed us. Pretty much all Melee classes due to the blanket AP buff they're getting in the next tier. They're better on a mostly patchwerk stationary fight(and they should be), but we'll still be performing better on fights with a lot of movement or positional requirements.

A lot of people discount Frosts ability to lay down the most instantaneous burst of any class in the game right now. Seems useful in the next tier for adds and such. Think of the Tentacles that grab people on Deathwings back, a Frost Mage can get them to release in probably 2 globals so the rest of the raid can basically ignore them.

I've been soloing meteors for H Alysrazor as Frost, pretty funny. =D
Edited by Critrocket on 10/19/2011 4:35 PM PDT
90 Gnome Mage
I think smite priests need a buff.
90 Blood Elf Mage
Does anyone have any tips for dealing with the Molten Elementals on Heroic Rag? I feel so useless being able to only precast Flamestrike and the elementals run through one tick of Blizzard.

My AoE is the least of our problems (only got a few attempts in tonight, and our strongest AoE'ers were late), but it's still bugging me. I almost feel like I should go Arcane.
What is the correct way to react to BF/2xFoF procs that occur while casting Frostbolt? Should I /stopcasting and hit the proc, or complete the Frostbolt cast first? I notice that this comes up a lot during the "alpha strike" phase; the concern is that, by waiting for the cast to complete while the orb is out, I may be wasting additional procs.

If the answer is to stop casting and use the proc immediately, I will make stopcasting macros for DF, IL, and FFB.
90 Gnome Mage
Switch, I have a question for you regarding my current gear level (I know it's low). After Crit, should I be focusing more on Haste or Mastery or should I try to keep them relatively even? If not, is there some cap I need on Haste before I go after Mastery or what? I'm looking at your gear and noticing that you've actually reforged out of Haste in favor of Mastery.

I've seen your guide. I've seen Critrocket's blog. I've seen other things as well and I'm wondering which of those I should follow. Everyone else is welcome to answer as well. (I know I have a fair bit more Hit than necessary - I'll reforge out of that soon.)
85 Troll Mage
So based on these:

Would you guys think frost could actually use a single target buff?

Absolutely. The DPS shown on the 4.3 is still using the 4p T13 which definitely benefits Frost more than the other two specs.
85 Troll Mage
What is the correct way to react to BF/2xFoF procs that occur while casting Frostbolt? Should I /stopcasting and hit the proc, or complete the Frostbolt cast first? I notice that this comes up a lot during the "alpha strike" phase; the concern is that, by waiting for the cast to complete while the orb is out, I may be wasting additional procs.

If the answer is to stop casting and use the proc immediately, I will make stopcasting macros for DF, IL, and FFB.

Let the frostbolt finish and cast FFB as soon as the cast finishes. Stopping the cast will be a dps loss, even if charges are wasted.
85 Troll Mage
Does anyone have any tips for dealing with the Molten Elementals on Heroic Rag? I feel so useless being able to only precast Flamestrike and the elementals run through one tick of Blizzard.

My AoE is the least of our problems (only got a few attempts in tonight, and our strongest AoE'ers were late), but it's still bugging me. I almost feel like I should go Arcane.

Arcane is just as bad for the Elementals, really. You have to be close enough to hit them with arcane explosion and that risks getting one shot by a melee attack. I do believe there's a reason there was only one mage in the world first 25 heroic rag kill.
90 Blood Elf Mage

Arcane is just as bad for the Elementals, really. You have to be close enough to hit them with arcane explosion and that risks getting one shot by a melee attack. I do believe there's a reason there was only one mage in the world first 25 heroic rag kill.

If you Ice Block/get BoP'd/Stand far enough away from the rest of the seeds, you don't run to risk of getting 1-shot because you either:

1) Don't have an elemental on you due to the immunity effect when they spawned, or
2) The elemental fixated on you is so far away that it doesn't receive the damage and speed buffs from being with the other elementals.

This allows an Arcane Mage to jump into the middle of the elementals and Arcane Explosion without worry. Was just wondering if Frost had any reliable way of getting decent damage in instead of just hoping I get BF and FoF procs from the half a second they're in Blizzard. ><
90 Draenei Mage
Switch, I have a question for you regarding my current gear level (I know it's low). After Crit, should I be focusing more on Haste or Mastery or should I try to keep them relatively even? If not, is there some cap I need on Haste before I go after Mastery or what? I'm looking at your gear and noticing that you've actually reforged out of Haste in favor of Mastery.

I've seen your guide. I've seen Critrocket's blog. I've seen other things as well and I'm wondering which of those I should follow. Everyone else is welcome to answer as well. (I know I have a fair bit more Hit than necessary - I'll reforge out of that soon.)

I ran a sim for your character. Haste and Mastery are virtually even for you. Put them up as equally as you can until you get the t12 4piece, in which case mastery becomes your top stat (after hit/crit cap)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]