[PvE] Frost Mage Guide - 4.1

(Locked)

90 Draenei Mage
So based on these:

Would you guys think frost could actually use a single target buff?

Absolutely. The DPS shown on the 4.3 is still using the 4p T13 which definitely benefits Frost more than the other two specs.

I agree. It wouldn't be major, but they could kill two birds (three actually) with one stone by buffing FFB. It would make it viable for fire and frost as a filler and make frostbolt based Frost better as well.

Reverting the 20% Deep Freeze change wouldn't hurt either.
90 Gnome Mage
Switch, I have a question for you regarding my current gear level (I know it's low). After Crit, should I be focusing more on Haste or Mastery or should I try to keep them relatively even? If not, is there some cap I need on Haste before I go after Mastery or what? I'm looking at your gear and noticing that you've actually reforged out of Haste in favor of Mastery.

I've seen your guide. I've seen Critrocket's blog. I've seen other things as well and I'm wondering which of those I should follow. Everyone else is welcome to answer as well. (I know I have a fair bit more Hit than necessary - I'll reforge out of that soon.)

I ran a sim for your character. Haste and Mastery are virtually even for you. Put them up as equally as you can until you get the t12 4piece, in which case mastery becomes your top stat (after hit/crit cap)

Okay, that's something I'll have to work on. As my gear stands now, since I was told a while ago that Mastery was the weakest stat for Frost (and I was dual-specced Fire at the time where Mastery is also horrid), I avoided Mastery like the plague. Guess I shouldn't anymore.

Now another question. As it stands now, with Molten Armor on (glyphed), I have 26.68% Crit. Should I drop the glyph in favor of Glyph of Frostbolt or just leave it as is?
90 Tauren Druid
If you Ice Block/get BoP'd/Stand far enough away from the rest of the seeds, you don't run to risk of getting 1-shot because you either:

1) Don't have an elemental on you due to the immunity effect when they spawned, or
2) The elemental fixated on you is so far away that it doesn't receive the damage and speed buffs from being with the other elementals.

This allows an Arcane Mage to jump into the middle of the elementals and Arcane Explosion without worry. Was just wondering if Frost had any reliable way of getting decent damage in instead of just hoping I get BF and FoF procs from the half a second they're in Blizzard. ><

Here's what I do: stand out of the group, then when the seeds come run back to the group, drop Blizzard on the Seed pile. Once the seeds explode run with the group and spam Arcane Explosion until your Molten Elemental catches up to you. Single target that one down.

Rinse and Repeat. I don't bother with using Ice Block.

I tried doing this as Fire using instant Flame Strike to lay down ground, but that turned out to be doing even less damage than Blizzard. Also, for whatever reason, you cannot Impact your DoTs off Ragnaros-- if you could Fire would be a clear-cut winner here.

Thing people tend to overlook here on H Ragnaros is your raid still needs enough single target DPS to bring Phase 3 to a close sooner, so making everyone attempt an 'optimal AOE spec' (because Arcane isn't actually that much better than the tactic I supplied-- my raid saw bigger improvement on granting our Shadow Priests the luxury of not having to run with the group) is not in your best interests.
Edited by Seiryu on 10/20/2011 5:30 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Mage

Here's what I do: stand out of the group, then when the seeds come run back to the group, drop Blizzard on the Seed pile. Once the seeds explode run with the group and spam Arcane Explosion until your Molten Elemental catches up to you. Single target that one down.

That's genius. Sometimes I forget that I'm not limited to only frost spells. Heh.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it on our next attempts.
90 Draenei Mage
Okay, that's something I'll have to work on. As my gear stands now, since I was told a while ago that Mastery was the weakest stat for Frost (and I was dual-specced Fire at the time where Mastery is also horrid), I avoided Mastery like the plague. Guess I shouldn't anymore.

Now another question. As it stands now, with Molten Armor on (glyphed), I have 26.68% Crit. Should I drop the glyph in favor of Glyph of Frostbolt or just leave it as is?

Keep Molten Armor glyphed until you are able to easily obtain 33.33% crit in a raid setting. By easily i mean having the 5% buff and debuff. If you can't get your hands on one or both of those, then keep MA. Once you can obtain it, switch to the Frostbolt glyph
2 Human Mage
Nice to finally see this thread stickied.

So based on these:

Current: http://www.simulationcraft.org/422/Raid_T12H.html

4.3: http://www.simulationcraft.org/430/Raid_T12H.html

That is depressing.. Fire is overbuffed IMO. Let's not forget Fire still has the best mobility and AoE potential, though RNG will remain a factor. I'd much rather see RNG fixed but Fire remain the lowest patchwerk Mage spec given it's other strengths.

As for Frost, we could definitely see it falling even lower once t12 4pc is replaced. Something needs to be done; even if (and that's a big if) our AoE is buffed, our single target will fall behind. Also, poor hunters, that whole class needs a big buff in PVE and PVP. Blizzard has failed so hard with the Focus redesign, and lol at ret being top DPS.
Edited by Incéndiary on 10/20/2011 9:26 PM PDT
90 Draenei Mage
Nice to finally see this thread stickied.

So based on these:

That is depressing.. Fire is overbuffed IMO. Let's not forget Fire still has the best mobility and AoE potential, though RNG will remain a factor. I'd much rather see RNG fixed but Fire remain the lowest patchwerk Mage spec given it's other strengths.

As for Frost, we could definitely see it falling even lower once t12 4pc is replaced. Something needs to be done; even if (and that's a big if) our AoE is buffed, our single target will fall behind. Also, poor hunters, that whole class needs a big buff in PVE and PVP. Blizzard has failed so hard with the Focus redesign, and lol at ret being top DPS.

I'm actually looking at the ret change from a positive point of view. No more being forced to play arcane for the 3%! But yes i agree wholeheartedly. If this is what frost will look like in 4.3, i would like to see a single increase. Just my opinion, but i would like frost to be known for its high single and burst ability (with at least decent AoE)
85 Troll Mage
I don't even care about 4.3 anymore. 5.0 has me worried.
90 Draenei Mage
10/22/2011 02:07 PMPosted by Steehl

I'm going to turn a bad situation into a good one. Because MoP looks like it's going to destroy the mage class, i will enjoy 4.3 THAT much more.
2 Human Mage
Do you hate enhancement shamans? DPS sucks, in PvP they suck, any plans to fix them? / Any plans for Illidan to come back?
Lets answer the Illidan question. Do you want to see Illidan come back? We will think about that.

This is a problem, just like frost mages dont do well in PvE but the difference is you can't tell an enhancement shaman "hey just go elemental". In PvP it will be much easier in 5.0 but for PvE we will try to adress some of the issues in 4.3

This has me worried. Looks like they're back to WotLK mindset, and all that work to get Frost PVE working is going out the window. Le sigh, oh well, time to move on to my boomkin/spriest... their 5.0 talent trees look 10x better anyway.
Edited by Incéndiary on 10/22/2011 3:13 PM PDT
85 Troll Mage
10/22/2011 02:45 PMPosted by Switch

I'm going to turn a bad situation into a good one. Because MoP looks like it's going to destroy the mage class, i will enjoy 4.3 THAT much more.

I wish they would just admit they just quickly threw together the mage tree before Blizzcon and it's definitely not what we should look forward to seeing in 5.0.

Otherwise, I'll be leveling a monk or playing my shadow priest.
90 Draenei Mage
Do you hate enhancement shamans? DPS sucks, in PvP they suck, any plans to fix them? / Any plans for Illidan to come back?
Lets answer the Illidan question. Do you want to see Illidan come back? We will think about that.

This is a problem, just like frost mages dont do well in PvE but the difference is you can't tell an enhancement shaman "hey just go elemental". In PvP it will be much easier in 5.0 but for PvE we will try to adress some of the issues in 4.3

This has me worried. Looks like they're back to WotLK mindset, and all that work to get Frost PVE working is going out the window. Le sigh, oh well, time to move on to my boomkin/spriest... their 5.0 talent trees look 10x better anyway.

I was worried initially as well, but i think they just worded it oddly and meant sometihng else. I think they meant to say:
"This is the problem, the community thinks this way just like how "Frost mages don't do well in PvE."

At least i HOPE they meant to say that.
85 Blood Elf Mage
Oh yay, we have a sticky now! I was wondering where this thread had gone off to. :-)
85 Blood Elf Mage
I'm going to go post something over on the PTR Discussion forums requesting that Frost get a buff for PvE as well as Fire. Anyone have any suggestions feel free to chime in.
85 Blood Elf Mage
And... I just the 4 piece crowd! :D Does anything in particular change as far as rotation goes? I think I remember reading someone say that you want to use BF FFB whenever it procs instead of waiting for FoF procs. Is that true?
90 Tauren Druid
10/26/2011 01:23 AMPosted by Thelesis
I think I remember reading someone say that you want to use BF FFB whenever it procs instead of waiting for FoF procs. Is that true?

With the 4pc T12 your Brain Freeze procs will often exceed FoF procs so you want to fire off your Brain Freeze as soon as possible.
90 Draenei Mage
10/26/2011 09:43 AMPosted by Seiryu
I think I remember reading someone say that you want to use BF FFB whenever it procs instead of waiting for FoF procs. Is that true?

With the 4pc T12 your Brain Freeze procs will often exceed FoF procs so you want to fire off your Brain Freeze as soon as possible.

This is more preference honestly. It's only a 5% higher proc rate than FoF. I personally save it for when FoF procs.
85 Blood Elf Mage
Hmm. Well I guess I'll play around on the target dummies and try both methods. Finally fixed my BF power aura so it has a timer so I can see when a charge gets eaten. So that should help. Thanks guys!
85 Troll Mage
10/26/2011 12:17 PMPosted by Switch

This is more preference honestly. It's only a 5% higher proc rate than FoF. I personally save it for when FoF procs.

Lhiv said that it was a DPS gain of a couple hundred to fire them off right away. Especially during FFO.

And a note on BF proccing more than FoF: FFB can proc FoF, so it's handy to note that it's also an increase in FoF procs.

(and OMG I'M ALL PURPLE NOW <33333)
90 Draenei Mage

Lhiv said that it was a DPS gain of a couple hundred to fire them off right away. Especially during FFO.

And a note on BF proccing more than FoF: FFB can proc FoF, so it's handy to note that it's also an increase in FoF procs.

(and OMG I'M ALL PURPLE NOW <33333)

Ah very true, must test.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]