[PvE] Frost Mage Guide - 4.1

(Locked)

85 Goblin Mage
so i decided to learn frost and read some of the posts here. this is rather unfortunate, the t12 4pc sims at about 2k added dps for frost... so once t13 hits, frost already simming 2k lower than fire/arcane will do ~4k less dps making it completely unplayable :/

shame as i was enjoying frost too and it doesnt look like frost will get t13 buffs.
93 Blood Elf Mage
Totally agree with Seiryu on Rhyo. Sounds to me like your raid leader needs to do a better job of understanding the strengths and weaknesses of his players' specs.

I usually focus on spark and then concentrate on feet, but I have a lot of other folks in my raid who do good AoE.

Although, looking at Eye's armory, I think they are talking about Heroic Rhyo, which I have yet to see so I won't offer anymore advice on it. =x
Edited by Thelesis on 11/2/2011 12:39 PM PDT
91 Troll Mage
11/02/2011 12:17 AMPosted by Seiryu
Granted this varies from raid to raid, but I almost never get to #3 until it's last call for Superheated. Since you're not doing Heroic the numbers will be more lax, but the tactics remain the same.

I was under the impression we were doing Heroic until I noticed the fight was going incredibly well compared to last night. Regression is fun.

As Frost, your single-target DPS is what you live and die by. The Spark is the best place to put that to use. Now, granted, that depends entirely on who is actually assigned to the Fragments (Warlocks, Moonkin, and Shadow Priests are the best at this), and Blizzard still sucks, but Blizzard is merely supplementary damage to what the dedicated AOE'ers should be doing.

This is the fun part, we have no specific assignments other than feet. Otherwise, it's kill the fragments then kill the sparks, then go on feet. I suspect this isn't how they're supposed to do it, but I get no input on how the strat works. That's most likely a problem that won't get addressed, sadly.

Your raid needs to put the right people on the right duties.

About that ...

EDIT: Considering the raid leader decided for no apparent reason to say screw progression and skip over doing heroics this week, I might have luck trying to push through a policy change on Rhyo considering the heroic attempts on what's supposed to be farm were an abysmal failure.. Let's see how this goes.
Edited by Eyezap on 11/2/2011 7:42 PM PDT
100 Tauren Druid
I was under the impression we were doing Heroic until I noticed the fight was going incredibly well compared to last night. Regression is fun.

That's weird, I could've sworn you were talking about normal mode.

11/02/2011 04:40 PMPosted by Eyezap
This is the fun part, we have no specific assignments other than feet. Otherwise, it's kill the fragments then kill the sparks, then go on feet. I suspect this isn't how they're supposed to do it, but I get no input on how the strat works. That's most likely a problem that won't get addressed, sadly.

I see it as a sort of pragmatism. Tanking two Sparks at once isn't good for your Spark tank (and even less good for the Spark Tank's healer), but thanks to how the Spark's mechanics work you don't actually need that many people on it. My raid (25 man) has only two people assigned to the Sparks formally (was 3 on our first kill), but get assists from the people assigned to Fragments between Fragment waves (Shadow Priests, I found, do it by necessity to make their Mind Sear stronger). For 10 Heroic that's probably more like 1-2 people.

11/02/2011 12:36 PMPosted by Thelesis
Although, looking at Eye's armory, I think they are talking about Heroic Rhyo, which I have yet to see so I won't offer anymore advice on it. =x

It's actually not that much different from Normal mode-- the gist of it is you just have 1 less minute to work with.
100 Draenei Mage
So, with all the minor patches being added onto the PTR, are we done seeing major changes?

If so, was there a reason or did blizzard really overlook some simple changes?

Discuss!

PS:

Sorry i have not been on the forums lately, the power outage was one blow and after that half my HD was corrupted, had to do 3 days of troubleshooting.
Edited by Switch on 11/3/2011 9:08 PM PDT
85 Dwarf Mage
Do you think you will keep the frosty love in 4.3?
100 Draenei Mage
11/04/2011 09:59 AMPosted by Jamdór
Do you think you will keep the frosty love in 4.3?

I will always love frost, but there's a big difference in 4.3 compared to 4.2.

Right now, frost is equal to arcane and much better than fire. Based on the recent sims, it will actually be worse than both in 4.3

Unless changes are made, i will probably be going Fire for 4.3 with offspec frost for the purpose of progression.
Edited by Switch on 11/4/2011 10:43 AM PDT
85 Troll Mage
Yeah, we've been doing PTR progression and I've been Frost for most of the normal modes. There's no way I'll be able to stay Frost once I lose that T12 4P.

I'm not too sad about it. It'll be a nice change of pace for a while, I suppose. I certainly still play Frost for all the farm content and will definitely go back full time if and when they buff the spec.
100 Gnome Mage
I will be sad about it! If they don't fix it, I will be playing rift instead of wow, and that will make me cry.
85 Troll Mage
So I copied this character again onto the PTR so I could have one version to mess around with as Fire and not have to worry about changing reforges back for raids. On live, I'm doing about 17k on the single target dummy as fire. On the PTR, I'm doing 24k to the single target dummy as fire. It's quite nice. Alternatively, I was averaging 23k DPS on the freeze immune dummies as Frost. That number is probably a little higher than it should be, just because the only freeze-immune one is next to two other dummies, so Piercing Chill is giving extra FoF charges.

At this rate, the moment Frost loses their 4p (so when heroic modes start) will be the moment it starts falling too far behind. We'll be at Crit Cap almost exclusively from int->crit and Molten Armor. Our 4p is Haste plus a shorter CD on our Haste CD will have us at 1s Frostbolts before lust/warp/hero. That means we'll be 100% reforged into mastery. And guess what? Our two weapon options, the staff off Hagara and the staff off Deathwing? Both haste. You could go with the dagger off Deathwing, but your only offhand option is haste/mastery.

When it comes to the tier, I'm satisfied with the itemization overall. Unfortunately, the only off pieces available are Gloves off Spine (Haste/Crit) and Shoulders off Morchok (Haste/Crit) to replace Frost's best tier pieces, Gloves (hit/mastery) and Shoulders (crit/mastery). We'll probably end up having the gloves as our BiS because they're higher ilvl, but rocking a 5p may be a better alternative.

The wand we'll have will be haste/mastery. Boots and Belt will be crit/haste. Rings will be hit/crit and mastery/haste. Neck will be hit/haste. Back will be hit/mastery (yay!). All of the trinkets available to us are Int trinkets, which is great. Unfortunately, one of them is int with a 2.9k haste proc. So we'll be after the trinket that has int and the shadow volley proc, and the stacking int trinket (88 int every time you deal damage, stacking up to TEN TIMES OMG<3333) off Spine.

Frost is going to come to a tough point, methinks. We'll have to choose between reforging off crit to stay at our Crit cap, or choose to reforging off haste to stay away from GCD capping with Icy Veins up. I suppose having more crit would be the easier option, though it's less of a DPS gain than having it be pure mastery, it's still going to make our Frostbolts crit more. Just other specs will get better use out of all the stats.
85 Human Priest
Can't find any other threads about the subject, but here's a fun fact - Blizzard seems to be bugged and I'm not the only mage running into the bug. There's a better description here. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3530334927

If other mages can help confirm this bug exists on the PTR as well it could probably get fixed before the patch.
2 Human Mage
Interesting. So not only are they refusing to buff Frost AoE, they actually introduced a new bug to nerf it. Well played, Blizzard trolls.
85 Troll Mage
Yeah, the bug is happening on live, but not on the ptr. Interesting.
93 Blood Elf Mage
I haven't noticed it, but I can look into it in a day or two.
100 Draenei Mage
I have been getting it as well. The first tick isn't going off and it says the spell isn't ready. Maybe a hacker did this so they could finally look at blizzard damage haha.
85 Blood Elf Mage
For most of my time on WoW, I played as Frost, always trying to make it work in raids and such.. Then cata came out and I was forced to pick up a different spec for the sake of raiding. I'm not in a hardcore guild (maybe if I was, I would at least have access to better gear which might have made a difference?). I don't feel Blizzard has ever cared about people playing as Frost in a PvE setting, it's upsetting to me that I won't be able to enjoy that spec ever again with all the !@#$ they have done. Go %^-* yourself, Blizz.
85 Blood Elf Mage
Switch, if you don't mind, I'll be translating this very wonderful guide to Pt-BR and post it in the Brazillian community site. Credits will be given, of course!
Edited by Aerastrasz on 11/8/2011 11:24 AM PST
85 Troll Mage
11/08/2011 07:41 AMPosted by Alchameer
For most of my time on WoW, I played as Frost, always trying to make it work in raids and such.. Then cata came out and I was forced to pick up a different spec for the sake of raiding. I'm not in a hardcore guild (maybe if I was, I would at least have access to better gear which might have made a difference?). I don't feel Blizzard has ever cared about people playing as Frost in a PvE setting, it's upsetting to me that I won't be able to enjoy that spec ever again with all the !@#$ they have done. Go %^-* yourself, Blizz.

Frost is more raid-ready than ever before. Before Cata, it was probably 30% less competitive than it is now. I don't know what you're getting so upset about. It's just going to be the worst of the mage specs (but still above other specs like 2h Frost, 1h Unholy, Survival Hunters, and depending how the set bonus works out for them, BM hunters as well).
100 Tauren Druid
11/08/2011 07:41 AMPosted by Alchameer
For most of my time on WoW, I played as Frost, always trying to make it work in raids and such.. Then cata came out and I was forced to pick up a different spec for the sake of raiding

I had the opposite experience. I kept Fire as my raiding spec and Frost as my personal solo spec, but once I started raiding in Cata Fire wasn't doing it for me. It wasn't giving me the numbers I was hoping for. One day I decided to start doing encounters as Frost and found I was getting better numbers out of it than Fire. It was kind of nuts because the other Mages in my guild saw what I was doing and also switched to Frost, but they couldn't pull off the numbers I was throwing.

Basically, I found out Frost was raid-viable by accident.
91 Troll Mage
I'm asking about Blizzard and Frost ST (Ignite, FFB for 5.0, sneaking in current problems) on the Q&A. Here's to hoping we get an answer ...

EDIT: Zilch. Asked about twenty questions and got nil. At least they mentioned level 90 talents ...
Edited by Eyezap on 11/9/2011 12:16 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]