[PvE] Frost Mage Guide - 4.1

(Locked)

90 Tauren Druid
11/17/2011 08:30 PMPosted by Incéndiary
With t13 bonuses, losing NWP's haste will be a drop in the bucket. It'll probably actually start being a detriment as Frostbolt nears GCD.

I find it unlikely even if you took all the Haste on the T13 gear (+set stacking haste up to 500 rating which comes out to a ramping ~4% bonus) and kept all of it you'd be able to get a 1 second Frostbolt with Time Warp. I don't get that with Time Warp and Icy Veins now, and I have Lifeblood on top of that (Lifeblood itself is roughly equivalent to what the 2 piece bonus will give you).
85 Troll Mage
11/18/2011 02:40 PMPosted by Seiryu
With t13 bonuses, losing NWP's haste will be a drop in the bucket. It'll probably actually start being a detriment as Frostbolt nears GCD.

I find it unlikely even if you took all the Haste on the T13 gear (+set stacking haste up to 500 rating which comes out to a ramping ~4% bonus) and kept all of it you'd be able to get a 1 second Frostbolt with Time Warp. I don't get that with Time Warp and Icy Veins now, and I have Lifeblood on top of that (Lifeblood itself is roughly equivalent to what the 2 piece bonus will give you).

Well with 2.4k haste, 2 points in NWP, Icy veins, and the 5% haste raid buff, I'm casting 1.3 second Frostbolts. With lust, I'm at 1s Frostbolts. Now we add 500 more haste in there. And if you get a buff from someone with the Deathwing Staff. And if you have the Haste proc trinket (the alternative is the Haste trinket from Valor, or the Int AoE Shadow Damage trinket), it's even more ridiculous.

So. Much. Haste.
05/14/2011 05:46 PMPosted by Trevihn
Iamesauce, Blizzard should offer you a free race change to Troll.

lololol
85 Troll Mage
11/18/2011 02:40 PMPosted by Seiryu

Silly, inferior non-trolls and their lack of Berserking.
90 Draenei Mage
Hey guys, things worth pointing out that have left me concerned and confused regarding the upcoming expansion Mists of Pandaria:

These spells/abilities are now available to all mages:

Shatter
Improved Blink
Improved Counterspell
Living Bomb
Deep Freeze (inb4 forum QQ)

Overall, i like this. Improved blink will be awesome to have, but Living Bomb puts me on edge.

My Concerns:

• Fingers of Frost is "missing" under frost

• Armors no longer buff and are purely for defensive purposes (i know they are called armors, but still)

• Mages seemingly no longer provide any buffs to the raid or boss debuffs.

• The talent tree is very very clear for us, leaving only tier 3 even remotely arguable. Here is what i perceive to be what every Frost PvE mage will be running in MoP thus far:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/feature/talent-calculator#ea!122102
    Edited by Switch on 11/23/2011 12:11 AM PST
    2 Human Mage
    Talent tree still looks terrible. All they did was swap the Polymorph tier and the BlastWave/Dragon Breath/Slow tier. Still not enough Frost options overall. Not sure what to make of Frost Ward, but it doesn't help they put it on the same tier as all the other Frost options. For God's sake Blizzard, is it so hard to spread the different school spells around instead of cramming them all on the same tier?

The polymorph tier has always been underwhelming to me and does not deserve to be the level 90 tier. Sickly, really? Seriously, 10% normal healing rate? Why not just make it 0%? Who even bothers to Polymorph a low health target anyway, in PVE or PVP? Double Polymorph will be the cookiecutter PVE choice, and Heavy the cookiecutter PVP choice. Not much tough decision making there at all. It was fine as one of the lower tiers, not as level 90.

What's the point of having Lockjaw and DeepFreeze available to all mages, especially now that Deep Freeze has its damage component (Frost PVE) removed? You may as well combine them into one spell that stuns, silences, and Freezes all in one and move it up to a higher tier.

Frostbolt and Fireball both becoming 1.5sec base cast time? So Haste is going to be a mediocre stat for Frost and Fire from the get-go, and will only get worse as we increase tiers in MoP. Frostbolt will be clearly inferior to Fireball as it has lower base damage with the same cast time. And no FoF, and no improvement on Cold Snap.

Frost PVE looking very very bad right now.
    90 Gnome Mage
    At level 60, I would think Cold Snap will be a necessity until they fix the bug with the WE's ability bar vanishing all the time. I'm constantly having to resummon my WE to get the stupid bar back.
    11/28/2011 02:38 PMPosted by Zemocrates
    At level 60, I would think Cold Snap will be a necessity until they fix the bug with the WE's ability bar vanishing all the time. I'm constantly having to resummon my WE to get the stupid bar back.

/reload ui

Done.

Of course, this is not really possible mid fight.
    90 Draenei Mage
    Well guys, after playing tonight for 4 hours, i can tell you fire is going to be the very clear winner for this patch. Hold your breath till MoP.
    85 Human Mage
    Hi all <3
    Which 2 trinkets, of the ones I currently have, should I be using for Frost pve?

Moonwell Chalice, Darkmoon Card, Rune of Zeth, Foul Gift.

90 Blood Elf Mage
    Hi all <3
    Which 2 trinkets, of the ones I currently have, should I be using for Frost pve?

Moonwell Chalice, Darkmoon Card, Rune of Zeth, Foul Gift.

Foul Gift (of the Demon Lord, I assume) and Darkmoon Card: Volcano (often known as DMC:V). The former's a bit better than the Moonwell Chalice, while the latter's a bit better than Rune of Zeth.

Yes, DMC:V really is that good. Before 4.3 Variable Pulse Lightning Capacitor was possibly the ONLY trinket better, for any mage.
    85 Blood Elf Mage
    Amagad, Switch had a sex change! =O

Yeah, I went into a LFR group last night to try things out, and I wasn't too thrilled with my performance. I really don't know how to play Fire properly for one. I tried out Fire on the boss with the slimes, and I did terribly lol. About 16k DPS. I did frost for the other bosses, and I didn't do too hot on the first one either. The patchwerk fight I did pretty good, about 30k dps and was #8 or 9 on the dps charts. I didn't beat the fire mages though. -_- The last boss I died about halfway through because I accidentally blinked into the bubble, so I can't say for sure how that fight is for frost in my perspective.
    90 Draenei Mage
    Hahah i didn't change anything, not sure why it's showing me as a female
    12/02/2011 11:21 AMPosted by Switch
    Hahah i didn't change anything, not sure why it's showing me as a female
    You logged out with Tarecgosa's Visage, the Staff's mount. Tarecgosa is female.
    85 Blood Elf Mage
    Aww, that's too bad. Draenei girls are hot. ^_^
    90 Draenei Mage
    Okay so finally Fingers of Frost was added to the passives for the frost specialization, and it changes things up now:

Your freezing effects that fail due to target immunity instead grant you the Fingers of Frost effect.

So it now 100% gives us the effect in PvE. (boring imo).

For PvP this means you wont really get FoF anymore....
    85 Human Priest
    There's Frost Bomb too. It is a very welcomed addition to frost's aoe toolbox.

Edit - I don't know if the initial version of Frost Orb did aoe damage, but the current one hits all targets instead of just one.
    Edited by Nysem on 12/8/2011 12:15 AM PST
    85 Blood Elf Mage
    hey all i need some help. i have tryed all 3 specs (frost being my fav) and i can barly get over 12k on all of them on a target dummy. (without bursting). could it be my gear? idk what my problem is D:
    I came back for 4.3 and the low traffic here makes me sad. Is the consensus really "just roll fire until Panda Time"?
    90 Draenei Mage
    12/10/2011 02:17 PMPosted by Sehra
    I came back for 4.3 and the low traffic here makes me sad. Is the consensus really "just roll fire until Panda Time"?

Honestly i've spent two weeks in Dragon Soul and can't give you a definitive answer. All i can tell you is that unlike Firelands (where frost was undoubtedly one of the top single target dps in the game), it IS actually behind now. Add that on top of it's incredibly lack luster AoE and the extreme amount of AoE/multi-dotting this tier, and even i am straining to justify its usefulness.

Fire simply destroys this tier. There are many instances where you have dramatic damage bonuses which are seemingly designed to fit combustion in them. Deep Freeze with Icy Veins and a volcanic is deadly, but not much beats the dps contained with a combustion duration, and that helps a LOT on those phases.
    Edited by Switch on 12/10/2011 3:06 PM PST
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]