[PvE] Frost Mage Guide - 4.1

(Locked)

100 Gnome Mage
That makes me so very sad. I just do not know what to do except play in the lfr and in the dungeon finder and vote to kick the first person who says anything about my dps, and open a ticket every time someone kicks me. Damn it blizzard, frost needs some love in 4.3 and no frost mages don't have squat for raid utility so don't try to feed us that crock again!
Edited by Magnata on 12/12/2011 12:20 AM PST
Also, the itemization this tier made me just sad. There's haste on a crapton of non-set gear, either a dagger with no secondary stats and a terrible proc or a staff with even more haste as a proc (for those without the Legendary), a 500 haste set bonus that gives more uptime on a haste cooldown, one of the best trinkets having a haste proc... it never ends!

I had already switched to Arcane because of it's infinitely better utility (especially since we were missing several raid buffs) and on demand burst, but I am really unhappy with the itemization for Frost, if I ever wanted to switch back on farm nights I wouldn't like to at all. I am eagerly waiting for some more balance patches, like we've seen several times in 3.3 but can't seem to get at all in Cataclysm.
Edited by Eladen on 12/14/2011 2:00 PM PST
85 Troll Mage

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Dragon_Soul/Morchok/25H/Frost_Mage/

A beacon in the night.
100 Draenei Mage

A beacon in the night.

Once my guild brings in the 5% debuff, i'll be there as well on 10. Im going to try to start playing frost on Morchok, Warlord, Ultraxion, and the ship battle.

Fire is simply better on every other fight though. Yor you've got the forgotten ones, spine is obvious, as well as Hagara because of massive movement,

Madness could be argued, but i like fire for the last phase (spreading dots among tentacles and adds, as well as his head)

A beacon in the night.

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Morchok/25H/all/14/60/default/#3vvvv

Woah! Would you look at that? Frost is second on Heroic Morchok? SPREAD THE NEWS, FROST IS THE NEW FIRE, NERF IT TO THE GROUND, HOLDING THE HOLY RAIDBOTS.
90 Gnome Mage
Stupid question time: On our Character sheets, in game, we have sections showing Ranged, Melee and Spell. My Ranged and Spell show different % for Hit, Haste etc

So, my question is - when looking at the stats to see where I might need to get rid of some crit for hit etc which section should I be looking at.
Spell.

Ranged is mainly for Hunters, Melee is for melee characters. The only stats you'll ever use as a PvE Mage are Intellect, Spell Power, Spell Haste, Mastery, Spell Crit rating, and Spell Hit Rating.

Int and Mastery are on your base stats sheet, whereas all the others are in your Spell stats.
Edited by Eladen on 12/18/2011 10:16 AM PST
90 Gnome Mage
Eladen thank you very much for your answer :)
100 Tauren Druid
12/16/2011 04:32 PMPosted by Switch
Fire is simply better on every other fight though. Yor you've got the forgotten ones, spine is obvious, as well as Hagara because of massive movement,

No, Fire is absolutely horrible on Spine since it has no burst and the DOTs can kill things when you don't want to. Spine is all about controlling your damage, which favors Arcane the most, followed by Frost, and then Fire dead last. Do not use Fire on Spine.

As for Hagara, if you utilize a strategy of standing in the water bubble (which is easy to heal through) then the movement component is gone. The actual perk of Fire is the AOE on the Ice blocks.
Edited by Seiryu on 12/18/2011 2:15 PM PST
100 Draenei Mage

A beacon in the night.

Woah! Would you look at that? Frost is second on Heroic Morchok? SPREAD THE NEWS, FROST IS THE NEW FIRE, NERF IT TO THE GROUND, HOLDING THE HOLY RAIDBOTS.

Hopes renewed

#switchingtofrost

12/18/2011 02:12 PMPosted by Seiryu

No, Fire is absolutely horrible on Spine since it has no burst and the DOTs can kill things when you don't want to. Spine is all about controlling your damage, which favors Arcane the most, followed by Frost, and then Fire dead last. Do not use Fire on Spine.

As for Hagara, if you utilize a strategy of standing in the water bubble (which is easy to heal through) then the movement component is gone. The actual perk of Fire is the AOE on the Ice blocks.

Haha i knew fire was the worst for actually contributing to the fire, but it's the best for padding the meters =D.

Could you elaborate on hagara? 15% max hp a second seems like a lot to heal through.
Edited by Switch on 12/18/2011 8:31 PM PST
85 Troll Mage

A beacon in the night.

OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE
100 Tauren Druid
12/18/2011 08:30 PMPosted by Switch
Could you elaborate on hagara? 15% max hp a second seems like a lot to heal through.

I know 15% sounds like a lot, but in practice it hasn't been unmanageable. Raid buffed I run around with around 145k HP and take about 18k damage per second. If your healers know to expect it coming they can cover for that easily.

Comparably speaking that kind of damage is much lower than what you could potentially get in Heroic mode outside the bubble with the stupid snowflake debuff flying around all over the place.

Just note though that standing in the bubble is entirely unnecessary in LFR or Normal mode. I almost think it's mandatory for Heroic.
Edited by Seiryu on 12/19/2011 3:52 PM PST
91 Troll Mage

OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE

That's hilarious. Will definitely be spreading that one around. :D

Now I'm tempted to say everyone spec Frost on Morchok just to screw with raidbots. Hah.
85 Goblin Mage
Good old Frost. Love it for PvP, decided that I didn't want to compete with my Arcane Mage friend for best Arcane Mage... So I switched to Frost. I gotta say, it is REALLY dependent on gear and spec. I made the mistake of missing the top right talent... That kills any output you have right there. Fix the spec, fix the gear... And suddenly, I'm topping charts, and having no mana problems. Such a completely different playstyle than Arcane... Arcane is so much about watching the mana, and Frost is all about "Screw mana. Freeze EVERYTHING!" It's wonderful. Every fight, I actually feel like I'm doing something. Watch those CDs, watch my positioning, watch those procs. Hit them faster, harder. GOGOGOGO. Must do damage, must Freeze, must Orb, must proc. Gimme procs. More procs. More Procs. MORE PROCS! So much more fun than sitting back hitting a single button, and occasionally hitting other buttons because I accidentally went OOM.
12/21/2011 05:56 PMPosted by Zyart
Good old Frost. Love it for PvP, decided that I didn't want to compete with my Arcane Mage friend for best Arcane Mage... So I switched to Frost. I gotta say, it is REALLY dependent on gear and spec. I made the mistake of missing the top right talent... That kills any output you have right there. Fix the spec, fix the gear... And suddenly, I'm topping charts, and having no mana problems. Such a completely different playstyle than Arcane... Arcane is so much about watching the mana, and Frost is all about "Screw mana. Freeze EVERYTHING!" It's wonderful. Every fight, I actually feel like I'm doing something. Watch those CDs, watch my positioning, watch those procs. Hit them faster, harder. GOGOGOGO. Must do damage, must Freeze, must Orb, must proc. Gimme procs. More procs. More Procs. MORE PROCS! So much more fun than sitting back hitting a single button, and occasionally hitting other buttons because I accidentally went OOM.

Yeah I already miss Frost. I really like Arcane, but staring at my mana bar and having it take all of my concentration isn't truly my playstyle .I also felt like I was paying attention to many more things with Frost, especially since I was playing with Molten Armor. I had some Armor dancing to make, good mana management, on top of the several procs and CD's to watch.

Frost just feels so intuitive yet fun and somewhat complex at the same time to me.
To me, it's really fun! I also like the Rogue's Subtlety spec, because there are lots little complex details to watch, like Frost. A DoT to keep up, 2 buffs to keep up, lots of cooldowns and tons of energy management. I absolutely love those two specs!

I feel like I was doing better for the spec's performance with Frost than with Arcane too.
Edited by Eladen on 12/21/2011 8:45 PM PST
100 Draenei Mage
Yeah I already miss Frost. I really like Arcane, but staring at my mana bar and having it take all of my concentration isn't truly my playstyle .I also felt like I was paying attention to many more things with Frost, especially since I was playing with Molten Armor. I had some Armor dancing to make, good mana management, on top of the several procs and CD's to watch.

Frost just feels so intuitive yet fun and somewhat complex at the same time to me.
To me, it's really fun! I also like the Rogue's Subtlety spec, because there are lots little complex details to watch, like Frost. A DoT to keep up, 2 buffs to keep up, lots of cooldowns and tons of energy management. I absolutely love those two specs!

I feel like I was doing better for the spec's performance with Frost than with Arcane too.

Definitely true that once mastered, frost just feels very intuitive. My only blight with frost is that you're screwed if you're missing any crit modifiers.
85 Goblin Mage

Definitely true that once mastered, frost just feels very intuitive. My only blight with frost is that you're screwed if you're missing any crit modifiers.

Yeah. Hitting that 23.33% suggested is great... When you get + 10% like you're supposed to. It doesn't always happen, but at least I have a buffer. When I LFR, I do it with my Mage friend. Guess who gets his Focus Magic? /happydance
100 Tauren Druid
Been doing some Firelands runs with the 4pc T13 as Frost (and I'm already getting tells trying to convince me otherwise). The 4pc bonus, unlike Theorycrafting, is not going to give you a 24 second cooldown on Icy Veins every time no matter what you do; you are guaranteed a 24 sec. Icy Veins once, and once only, because the second time you pop it you will not have enough stacks of Stolen Time to bring it that low by the time it's up.

In a sense, the 4 pc T13 bonus is more akin to popping Cold Snap, except you have an actual Cold Snap when you find need to carry it past two uses.

Overall, though, I feel 4pc T12 was stronger for both Fire and Frost. The 4pc T13 could make up for having less Hot Streaks/Brain Freezes, but it truly puts you at the mercy of the RNG that T12's bonus greatly reduced.
That's sad to know... Frost pretty much needed a set bonus as strong as 4PT12 with the increased stats from DS gear, if it wasn't going to get any changes at all in 4.3. /sigh
85 Dwarf Mage
First off, I have been a frost mage for since MC 40 man raids and really like the PVE and PVP stlye of play. I have been recently told and would not be invited for a range DPS spot unless I went as Arcane or Fire. I have and finally got the fire rotation down pretty good, and then the past three days I have been in 3 LFR groups with a different frost mage and all three times I was out DPS'd by 1K to 3K depending on the itemization differences and fights.

I would like to know if its that I still do not do fire rotation properly or frost is not as bad as the masses are making it out to be?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]