[PvE] Frost Mage Guide - 4.1

(Locked)

02/29/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Jackielynn
I wish Frost didn't cap so easily on its secondary stats

It's not that we're easily capped, we just have a grace point in them.
90 Gnome Mage
03/02/2012 11:56 AMPosted by Icyheart
I wish Frost didn't cap so easily on its secondary stats

It's not that we're easily capped, we just have a grace point in them.

Elaborate, please, if you don't mind.
03/02/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Jackielynn
Elaborate, please, if you don't mind.

Pretty much after getting hit capped we can stack as much as we want on the secondary stats to the point of helping us more if we just added a little more.

Like with haste, we can, after reforge can still lessen our cast times for faster casting and 1250(if I remember right) is the appropriate hast 'soft cap' for arcane blast to be at GCD, but they can still benefit a little from slighty more haste.
Mastery can keep getting higher and higher but staying between ~10 and 15 we can do insane damage and still share secondary with others.
Crit... only frost really has a cap on it and they can't base gear for it.
Through testing and modifying I believe I have made the best possible frost pve capability for 4.3, with at much as only 5k dps less than arcane and 8k less than fire on a decent proc rate. Just let me know if you'ld like me to post it either on new or this one for the gearing, gemming, and rotation.
90 Gnome Mage
Post it in both places. I'll see it here, but I might not see it if it gets buried among the daily "Nerf Mage" threads that seem to flood the forums. Include a link to the new thread as well.
Read this guide and
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1648728060
He's pretty spot on except for DS this is the better tree:
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#o0bZfcZffMksGszMo:MRaMc

Also I have to say when you get end-tier gear, the stat priority, even before that in my opinion, is:

hit(to cap)>crit to ~22%>master>haste

Haste is more if you don't have at least 9% though.
Edited by Icyheart on 3/19/2012 10:58 PM PDT
90 Gnome Mage
Thanks, Icyheart. My stats seem to fall in line with the priority you have listed, so we'll see how my DPS looks in the next raid I go to. I think that has been my main problem - I was following an old, out-dated priority that had Haste over Mastery (which was perfect for Fire as well). I'll let you know how it goes.
I've played a little beta, it's gotten better, but it loses half it's unique things to the other two specs with little to nothing in return, it's PvE is good, but it's mechanics are alittle clucky with only one spell benefitting from FoF, Brain Freeze only procing from bombs, and half the proc chance for FoF from Frostbolt.
100 Draenei Mage
For those unfamiliar with the recent changes:
Baseline
Frostfire Bolt now slows the target for 8 sec, down from 9 sec.
Mage Armor now increases your Mastery by 2717 at Level 90.
Polymorph (All versions) now has a 30 yards range, down from 35 yards.
Slow Fall no longer requires a reagent.

Talents
Invocation now reduces the cooldown of Evocation to 10 sec.
Scorch now costs 0.1% of Base Mana.
Temporal Shield isn't on the global cooldown.

Frost
Brain Freeze now causes your next Frostfire Bolt to be instant cast, cost no mana, deal 25% additional damage, and act as if your target were frozen for 15 sec.
Fingers of Frost no has a 12% chance to proc from Frozen Orb hits, down from 20%. Now also has a 4% chance to proc from Blizzard ticks. Now has a 9% chance to proc from Scorch, up from 8%.
Frostbolt now snares for 8 sec, down from 9 sec.
Mastery: Frostburn now scales from 150% of Spell Power, down from 250% of SP. Now also increases the damage done by your Water Elemental by 150% of your Spell Power.

Arcane
Arcane Charge now also works with Arcane Explosion.
Slow now increases casting time by 50% on creatures and 25% on players.

Fire
Combustion base damage has been increased by 30%. No longer affected by Flamestrike effects on the target.
Inferno Blast no longer affects Flamestrike effects. Now affects enemy targets within 10 yards, up from 8 yards.
Pyroblast now requires single-target direct damage Fire spells to proc.

Minor Glyphs
Glyph of Arcane Language - Your Arcane Brilliance spell allows you to comprehend your allies' racial languages.

Major Glyphs
Glyph of Combustion now increases the direct damage of Combustion as well.
100 Troll Mage
On haste:

I know that the GCD cap for Instants comes in at 2160 or so (50% buffed with IV up), but Rawr has me reforging all the way to 2600. Are there any known issues there, or is Haste really still just better for me?
On haste:

I know that the GCD cap for Instants comes in at 2160 or so (50% buffed with IV up), but Rawr has me reforging all the way to 2600. Are there any known issues there, or is Haste really still just better for me?
The best advice I can give, is when reforging trade your haste first, then crit if you have more than 22% unbuffed.
  • First is for hit, starting with the item that gives most haste and working down to the minute percents you need.
  • At which point, if you're still above the 15%-17% haste mark, trade it for crit if you don't have 20%-22% crit.
  • Now reforge any remaining crit, till 20%-22%, and haste, till 15%+ haste(your choice from here), for mastery.
  • Doing that should optimize your dps as a frost mage in PvE.
    Edited by Icyheart on 5/10/2012 7:25 AM PDT
    100 Troll Mage
    On haste:

The best advice I can give, is when reforging trade your haste first, then crit if you have more than 22% unbuffed.
  • First is for hit, starting with the item that gives most haste and working down to the minute percents you need.
  • At which point, if you're still above the 15%-17% haste mark, trade it for crit if you don't have 20%-22% crit.
  • Now reforge any remaining crit, till 20%-22%, and haste, till 15%+ haste(your choice from here), for mastery.
  • Doing that should optimize your dps as a frost mage in PvE.

Right now I have exactly 17% hit and hit just a hair over 33.34% Crit with flask/food/raid buffs. I can definitely swap haste for mastery, but I wasn't sure if this was going to be a DPS increase or not.

I'm imagining that on a longer fight mastery gets stronger since haste will burn through more mana, where haste is strong on a fight with 100% molten uptime. Does that sound about right?

I've been getting solid rankings so far, but anything I can do to get even higher would be a plus. :)
    61 Human Mage
    Hmm... I'll keep some of these suggestions in mind.
    05/10/2012 08:34 AMPosted by Mageski
    I'm imagining that on a longer fight mastery gets stronger since haste will burn through more mana, where haste is strong on a fight with 100% molten uptime. Does that sound about right?
    It depends on fight I'ld have to say. Fights like Ultraxion and Madness you'll have to find that balance, wherass haste is better for Hagara/Spine and mastery is better for Morchok/Zon'ozz.

So far as of late, I've found that with the T13 4P allows me to keep Icy Veins up the entire fight with ~20-25 sec downtime in between with 11% haste. Still a little to poor to test haste at your amount lol, but when I do I'll fully check it out.

Mainly though, when your Frotbolt cast is faster than GCD with Icy Veins, Stolen Timex10, and Timewarp/Lust/Heroism, you have some tradeable haste. I myself so far have gotten to about 1.3-1.4 seconds, last I saw at least, with all haste buffs, except passive and early frost.
    Edited by Icyheart on 5/21/2012 12:32 AM PDT
    100 Troll Mage
    It looks like the lower haste I have now helped. I was pretty drunk last night and improved my rankings on Zon'ozz and Hagara by a bit.
    what numbers are you pulling with the heroic gear? So far I've managed a hight of steady 25K.
    100 Troll Mage
    05/21/2012 11:25 PMPosted by Icyheart
    what numbers are you pulling with the heroic gear? So far I've managed a hight of steady 25K.

My WoL rankings are all here if you want to take a look: http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/Eldre%27Thalas/mageski/

There's a mix of 10/25 and LFR in there. Some of those 10 man numbers were missing 5% Crit unfortunately. On Ultraxion 25 I did 34.2k, and 34.5k on 10 man without a crit buff somehow.
    Edited by Mageski on 5/22/2012 8:23 AM PDT
    85 Gnome Mage
    hmm all my old posts from Uö and nevernerfed got deleated i guess, awww sorry switch but it looks like blizzard listened to me when i asked for frozen orb from diablo 2 :D :D :D
    91 Human Mage
    K, so since it looks like frost mages have to deal with all this haste coming from trinkets n gear, n DW staff... woulndt b a good idea to drop those 2 points in Netherwind Presence and invest them in Impact? Our AoE really sucks n consumes so much mana.
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]