[PvE] Frost Mage Guide - 4.1

(Locked)

85 Blood Elf Mage
Switch, you should include a section for addons and more specifically, powerauras.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/wowscrnshot052111184416.jpg/

Lets you see FoF procs, brain freeze procs, deep freeze CD etc. Its also customizable unlike the default blizzard ui.

Nice, how did you set those up? I just got it
88 Undead Mage
Nifty
85 Draenei Shaman
Why isn't this stickied yet?

MAGE4LIFE.
90 Draenei Mage
Great guide thank you!

I'm just wondering two things:

Is permachill worth it? Am I better off investing those points in Enduring Winter instead so my spells cost less and I can keep molten armour up longer? MA helps me get at 23% crit and 33% in raids (shattercap).

And; I'm not understanding the arguments against Ice Shards?? To me the ice lance range buff more than anything seems a necessity and the slow on blizzard is a bonus.

Additionally, what is the argument for 2 points in netherwind presence versus firepower?

I believe you are referring to permafrost, and no for PvE it is not. Your water elemental barely takes AoE damage, so it will virtually never die unless you do as well.

As Lhivera has pointed out, the uptime gained in Molten Armor from Enduring Winter is actually quite small, and the points are better spent into Ice Shards.

Actually the reason for Ice Shards is mainly because just putting it up once gives blizzard the chill effect. This chill effect when used on multiple enemies usually maxes out your charges of FoF and gives you a BF one. This makes for a very quick and easy transition to single target damage. It is worth noting however that the 25% slow does virtually nothing (tested on cho'gall multiple times) due to how the slow is applied and of course the limited radius of the spell. The slow is only notable in 2/2, where it can actually make a big difference in fights like cho'gall if you lack ranged that can AoE CC efficiently.

I'm not sure about the whole firepower thing. Technically it should increase the damage of FFB, but i don't think that it'll cause FFO to explode because as of the hotfix, it is a different spell now.

Although, once the t12 4 piece is achieved, Firepower might be a better option than Netherwind presence, due to the fact that it will become a much bigger part of our overall damage.
85 Blood Elf Mage
was referring to piercing chill actually~ from my experience, and its been a few days since ive done this spec (many heroics and a BH raid) - it feels like molten armour with 3/3 enduring winter is up a lot longer than 1/3 enduring, best burst ive managed is 35k with 20k sustained dps, i love this spec, its so whacky, its as fun as fire and i love the randomness of the procs!

Edited by Vishstrider on 5/26/2011 5:36 AM PDT
90 Draenei Mage
05/26/2011 05:36 AMPosted by Vishstrider
was referring to piercing chill actually~ from my experience, and its been a few days since ive done this spec (many heroics and a BH raid) - it feels like molten armour with 3/3 enduring winter is up a lot longer than 1/3 enduring, best burst ive managed is 35k with 20k sustained dps, i love this spec, its so whacky, its as fun as fire and i love the randomness of the procs!

I agree. IMO, frost is the epitome of successful RNG. It's random, but it happens enough that you rarely get screwed, but also random enough that it keeps you on your toes.

But yes, piercing chill is simply mandatory. Firing a crit frostbolt into a group of 2-3 enemies (where blizzard would be very inefficient) dramatically increases your chances of getting a proc.
85 Human Paladin
Regarding seeing your procs with PowerAuras, here is my setup:

http://i.imgur.com/XsUiP.jpg

DF (Off CD)
BF (Time)
FoF (Charges and Time)

! = Pet Freeze Available

The Pet Freeze and DF icons are timers for how much longer until either is off CD.
not really rng, after playing a bit last night with frost, i would say u want to at least hold on to 1 of the FoF procs, that way, when your brain freeze procs, u can fire it off right away.

For dps, rng wouldn't effect your dps much at all.

RNG is only for 10man loot tables!
Why is this not stickied?

~Sage
90 Gnome Mage
Sticky rabble rablle!
90 Draenei Mage
not really rng, after playing a bit last night with frost, i would say u want to at least hold on to 1 of the FoF procs, that way, when your brain freeze procs, u can fire it off right away.

For dps, rng wouldn't effect your dps much at all.

RNG is only for 10man loot tables!

Well it is still RNG since the procs are based off % chances from casting spells. The only difference is that it is good rng. But yes, as i mentioned in the opening guide, always keep 1 FoF proc up unless you have FFO out.
90 Draenei Mage
bump, please sticky/like!! Ask any questions you may have or point out something that needs changing.
1 Dwarf Rogue
Free bump, but one question that you touched on vaguely during the rotation and priority guide:

Is a trinket (or lightweave/power torrent) buffed ice lance better than a non-buffed FoFBF? Because if i'm holding onto an FoF charge with my buffs about to run out, should i use the ice lance or wait till the BF charge when the buffs will be gone?
90 Draenei Mage
Free bump, but one question that you touched on vaguely during the rotation and priority guide:

Is a trinket (or lightweave/power torrent) buffed ice lance better than a non-buffed FoFBF? Because if i'm holding onto an FoF charge with my buffs about to run out, should i use the ice lance or wait till the BF charge when the buffs will be gone?

From the tests i've done, yes a "buffed" ice lance is better than FoFBF. Of course if it's only 1 trinket buff, it's about even, so it would be your call. Overall it's such a minor dps increase that it may not even be worth it to deviate the attention away from the fight
Why no points in Improved Cone of Cold? I like increasing my chances by freezing everything near me. Granted, I probably shouldn't let them near me, but it still comes in awful handy for me.
85 Human Paladin
06/01/2011 08:43 AMPosted by Zemosalt
Why no points in Improved Cone of Cold? I like increasing my chances by freezing everything near me. Granted, I probably shouldn't let them near me, but it still comes in awful handy for me.

Freezing stuff can bad in a raid situation. When they are frozen they ignore aggro and melee who ever is closer, which could be the main tank healer.
90 Draenei Mage

It can definitely be very handy for things such as dailies and possibly dungeons, but it is hardly usable in a raid scenario. Plus if you are ever in a kiting situation, you have more than enough slows/CC.

There are simply better talents to put the points into for a maximum dps build.
I'm sorry, I thought this thread was about PVE generally; I didn't see anything saying it was raids only. I'll stay away.
90 Gnome Mage
06/01/2011 02:33 PMPosted by Zemosalt
I'm sorry, I thought this thread was about PVE generally; I didn't see anything saying it was raids only. I'll stay away.

High end PvE means raiding.
90 Draenei Mage

It's mainly focused for raiding, but i can help you out with the rest of PvE too.

As i said before, Imp CoC is definitely something worth putting up if you are only doing heavy dailies, leveling, even dungeons maybe.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]