[PvE] Frost Mage Guide - 4.1

(Locked)

90 Draenei Mage
Yes, the second point in ice shard is not necessarily unless it is important for you to slow adds on fights. Like cho'gall or magnaw for instance. And I actually couldn't believe it a first either till Lhivera showed me the simulations. The difference in uptime was only around 5% between the 1/3 and the 2/3. And the second point in ice shards is also there out of a lack of better points to put it into. And as I said, the 40% slow can be very situational and helpful.

And thank you polluted. I'll make the necessary changes when I get the chance
Edited by Switch on 6/27/2011 3:07 PM PDT
11 Human Warlock
Sticky requested and free bump!
90 Gnome Mage
Sticky requested...again.
90 Draenei Mage
Bump, frost seems to be getting a lot more attention with the release of 4.2. Once more people get the T12 set, I'll be adding a separate section to the rotation, because it changes slightly with the 4 piece.
25 Blood Elf Priest
07/01/2011 06:07 PMPosted by Switch
frost seems to be getting a lot more attention with the release of 4.2.

I don't think that it's JUST since 4.2 although the patch is pushing things along. I have a healer that I've been leveling through Northrend by mostly running randoms and the last few weeks have seen a lot of frost mages.
90 Draenei Mage
07/01/2011 06:52 PMPosted by Moanshadow
I don't think that it's JUST since 4.2 although the patch is pushing things along. I have a healer that I've been leveling through Northrend by mostly running randoms and the last few weeks have seen a lot of frost mages.

Yes i saw that too. But that also might have been in preparation for 4.2.

*Updated guide to correctly display profession advantages.
90 Gnome Mage
stickied and bumped~
85 Troll Mage
07/01/2011 06:52 PMPosted by Moanshadow
frost seems to be getting a lot more attention with the release of 4.2.

Eh, don't forgot that a lot of people still have the "Frost is a leveling spec" mindset as well. So to see it prior to max level has never been that surprising.
90 Draenei Mage
Ellyngton speaks the truth. free bump for the raid week
11 Human Warlock
I read through the guide and i'm sorry if i missed this in advance. Should i be using all my FoF charges all the time?
90 Gnome Mage
07/06/2011 10:00 AMPosted by Apocrypho
I read through the guide and i'm sorry if i missed this in advance. Should i be using all my FoF charges all the time?

no you should hang on to one most of the time, unless pet freeze in off CD, then you blow all charges then use pet freeze to get 2 more charges.
just an add into this guide and to help with frost pve, my spec one if you look me up, that putting 3/3 in enduring winter is worth it, maybe even 2/3 if you want to, because frost mages are also mana batteries with that talent and i find healers should be loving you for that extra help even though it's meager. Plus the firepower talent does cause frostfire orb(even though it's that now) to explode on end of charge because it was originally a flame orb. However, the 2% increased fire damage doesn't make up for the medium chance your frostfire orb will explode on the boss in a kiting match or even normal as it's main form of damage outranges it's explosion radius, so either netherwind or arcane consentration, though i find it better to use arcane consentration as it will add to the time you remain casting over the little faster casting. and going 3/3 permafrost is good when you want chill blizzard as it lowers speed by an additiohnal 10%. other than thos things you people are forgetting or not seeing, nice guide and it's good to see other high end pve frost mages out there.
90 Draenei Mage
just an add into this guide and to help with frost pve, my spec one if you look me up, that putting 3/3 in enduring winter is worth it, maybe even 2/3 if you want to, because frost mages are also mana batteries with that talent and i find healers should be loving you for that extra help even though it's meager. Plus the firepower talent does cause frostfire orb(even though it's that now) to explode on end of charge because it was originally a flame orb. However, the 2% increased fire damage doesn't make up for the medium chance your frostfire orb will explode on the boss in a kiting match or even normal as it's main form of damage outranges it's explosion radius, so either netherwind or arcane consentration, though i find it better to use arcane consentration as it will add to the time you remain casting over the little faster casting. and going 3/3 permafrost is good when you want chill blizzard as it lowers speed by an additiohnal 10%. other than thos things you people are forgetting or not seeing, nice guide and it's good to see other high end pve frost mages out there.

This has been thoroughly discussed before so i will shed light on it more than i did in the guide.

With 1/3, replenishment is still constantly running (trust me i've tested it). Not to mention that the uptime gained on molten armor is only about 5-7% for those 2 whole points.

But on your other note, that is something i will be very curious to check out come t12 4piece. Firepower would definitely increase FFB's damage right? Not to mention FFO exploding and Ignite damage. With the t12 4piece, your FFB will nearly double in terms of your overall damage, thus becoming your 2nd most used (in terms of overall damage) ability. Not to mention flamestrike is a moderate portion of standing AoE.

Also remember that you will eventually be running mage armor full time, and trust me when i say that you have absolutely no mana concerns with that running. You most definitely do not want AC or permafrost. Whenever my pet has died once in a blue moon, i've always been able to summon it, and the point(s) into perma aren't worth the GCD from re-casting.

If firepower turns out to be more damage than the 2% haste from netherwind, the talent tree should look like this:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#oZfcbZffMMsuszRo
Edited by Switch on 7/8/2011 5:33 PM PDT
i mentioned the extra slowing from permafrost with the kiting and blizzard things for fights like Magmaw where the longer the worms stay in blizzard the better it'll be. since you're slowing by 40%, but add an additionall 10% from perm helps that while sort of useing up some uneeded points, plus reactive barrier you don't need because if you're moving around right and you're healers are doing a good job your GCD isn't really an obstical. and when it comes to glyphs, glyph of frost nova helps much better than ice barrier when aoe is concered so you're blizzard gets more crits a little longer and the extra absorb, again, not really needed cause if you manage to get less than 50% hp durring a raid enough to make reactive barrier to be needed you're doing something wrong.

p.s. just a thought and free bump.
07/11/2011 09:20 AMPosted by Icyheart
additionall 10% from perm

opps i mean 7%.
and peircing chill only really needs 1 point as most mobs that will have most effect in only has 1-2, otherwise blizzard with groups of 4+, crits with blizzard and master of elements keep mana pretty well up there durring. thinking good tree will look like this: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#oZfcbZffzrsuszMo:aMRcMoocm
90 Draenei Mage
i mentioned the extra slowing from permafrost with the kiting and blizzard things for fights like Magmaw where the longer the worms stay in blizzard the better it'll be. since you're slowing by 40%, but add an additionall 10% from perm helps that while sort of useing up some uneeded points, plus reactive barrier you don't need because if you're moving around right and you're healers are doing a good job your GCD isn't really an obstical. and when it comes to glyphs, glyph of frost nova helps much better than ice barrier when aoe is concered so you're blizzard gets more crits a little longer and the extra absorb, again, not really needed cause if you manage to get less than 50% hp durring a raid enough to make reactive barrier to be needed you're doing something wrong.

p.s. just a thought and free bump.

Trust me, there are plenty of fights where your hp almost inevitably drops below 50%. Rhyolith is currently a perfect example. At 5 stacks or more, it is going to take you down past 50%. Being below 50% doesn't necessarily mean you're doing things wrong.

The reason no one takes permafrost is because of the un-needed extra chill it brings. Perfect example of this is Beth'tilac. It's almost a cookie cutter example of what you are saying. I've soloed the adds myself, and with pet freeze, coc, ring of frost, frost nova, and blizzard slow it's ridiculously easy.

The points are better spent in Piercing Chill and reactive barrier. Ice Barrier can help out your healers a lot, and it gives you one of the best dps survivabilities in the game. With reactive barrier and the glyph, you are saving your healers 20k worth of heals every single time it comes up, and it's costing no mana.

Piercing chill may seem like a lackluster talent, but it triples your chances of getting an FoF proc when getting a critical strike inside of a group of mobs. Blizzard doesn't do enough damage till roughly 6-7 targets, so you will be single targeting on anything less than that for maximum damage output.

Beth'tilac and rhyolith are again great examples. The tank is usually on 3-4 of the spiders, a perfect scenario for piercing chill. On rhyolith, i'm assigned the big add, so when the small ones group around it, it triples my chances of FoF procs against it.
Edited by Switch on 7/11/2011 9:57 AM PDT
90 Gnome Mage
I've been experiencing an odd issue with reactive barrier lately.

I don't know if its just because I've gotten so used to using IB on my own, or its happening without me having the talent points in reactive, but it seems to give the IB buff and put it on CD even when I'm not consciously using IB.
90 Draenei Mage
I've been experiencing an odd issue with reactive barrier lately.

I don't know if its just because I've gotten so used to using IB on my own, or its happening without me having the talent points in reactive, but it seems to give the IB buff and put it on CD even when I'm not consciously using IB.

Yes, that is what reactive barrier does. It has a 50% chance to activate free of mana cost (but it puts IB on cooldown just like it normally would) when below 50% health.
90 Draenei Mage
bump
90 Gnome Mage
yeah, but check my spec, I don't have the talents and its been activating.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]