Wrath of the Lich King Problems

I downloaded the Wrath of the Lich King, entered the CD Key on my battle net account and I got my success message. When I go to play wow, I get this error,

"Launcher requires write permission to the world of warcraft Registry key to successfully locate and run the game. Please enable write access to the Registry using an administrator account."

I am the administrator and only person who uses this account. I did the right click to "run as administrator and I got the same message. When I went back to check on my account just to make sure the upgrade took, it does say World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King account active. Prior to this upgrade, I was able to log into WOW just fine.

Anyone know what else I need to do?
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
58 Undead Hunter
So BASICLY... it doesn't matter that we pay every month to play, it doesn't matter that we buy more discs and feed Blizzard more money with each expansion? Why? Because the disc is too old? Excuse me? So what do you do with the disc that you payed for? Is Blizzard going to refund this disc that they have made obsolete? No. I guess now I should go buy this upgrade ONLINE and give them MORE of my money? Not good marketing. I refused to listen when my friends told me this game was a rip off. I happen to like this game a lot but THIS is ridiculous. I will NOT be buying this upgrade online. I am considering no longer playing at all. Companies like this who think they can afford to lose a few customers because they have millions are often bankrupt before you know it. What a shame.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Mage
02/24/2012 06:36 PMPosted by Sainthavok
So BASICLY... it doesn't matter that we pay every month to play, it doesn't matter that we buy more discs and feed Blizzard more money with each expansion? Why? Because the disc is too old? Excuse me? So what do you do with the disc that you payed for? Is Blizzard going to refund this disc that they have made obsolete? No. I guess now I should go buy this upgrade ONLINE and give them MORE of my money? Not good marketing. I refused to listen when my friends told me this game was a rip off. I happen to like this game a lot but THIS is ridiculous. I will NOT be buying this upgrade online. I am considering no longer playing at all. Companies like this who think they can afford to lose a few customers because they have millions are often bankrupt before you know it. What a shame.

If you have the cata disks you can use them to install the game. And then it will down load the data. they updated the program so the old disks do not work. There not making you buy anything. Its is just like buying any program when they update the old disks are obsolete.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
All of the cds and/or dvds that come in the retail boxes can still be used, none have been made "not to work". The digital installer is just a lot more convenient and faster in many cases as it doesn't require supervision to swap discs while installing. The confusion lies with people buying an expansion and thinking they need to use the media it comes with when the reality is they already have it installed from being patched on-line. They just need to upgrade the game account with the authentication key to unlock the content.

Sainthavok - as long as you have a World of Warcraft game account attached to your Battle.net account, you have complete access to the free digital client. There's a link on your Account Management page you can use to get it. Again, it's optional but makes installing a lot easier for all involved. Consider also that you jumped in on an old thread last posted in back on 5/15/2011.

Reply Quote
10 Troll Shaman
Sooo..what I heard before was how great wrath of the lich king is and the content was, as is expected! So I went out and bought the cd's and even bought cataclysm which the box clearly states that I need previous Chapters in order for these current chapters to be enjoyed. I am trying to find the "content of the cd's" of which the wrath of the lich king and Cataclysm on World of Warcraft is based? I had been playing world of warcraft for some 3 years with a power pc and until they stopped supporting power pc's I was elated with the game content and what the cd's contained as I did not always want to experience what others experienced. I did not always want to travel the same road to a lake that every one used and traveled on. I did not want to hear that world of warcraft which I had bought since its inception through Vivendi, the original creator, played on an old computer and enjoyed by cd, is now a pay to play subscription plan!? Is that what I am hearing or am I mistaken? I went out and bought these two cd's from a place that is going out of business at half the price considering that it is now 2013/2014 and some 10 years later, since I learned about this game from my brother when purchasing his computer back in the 1990's. The content I paid for on the cd seems to be whats being discussed here and as I happened onto this site to find out how to access the content that I paid for on the cd's..which I am finding more confusing as a returning player from some consistent years of 3 (2006-2009)and abscense of 4 years current as a subscriber, am more confused as to the day they stopped supporting power pc's!? So my question to sidestep all the B.S. and abbreviated jargon that paid devs. so vehemently defend as the way to communicate to their customers is, "How do I get on the CD's that came in the box of the product I paid for? ... and that hopefully has not changed its format of what World of Warcraft and its gaming concept was developed to achieve, ...to become the master of my gaming domain?" I cannot seem to access the human interface perspective, "that does not include other players", ..but by myself ...to experience these new gaming storylines of which world of warcraft has caught my imagination from its inception and am looking forward to experiencing on your cd's!? How do I connect to the cd's, even though I am now actually understanding while writing/typing this, what requires an internet connection actually means!?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Aronahseer,

It's a little confusing that you've bumped a thread from over a year ago. If you need assistance with an issue, please create a new thread and detail your issue there.

To explain what's going on, World of Warcraft is massive multiplayer online game. You can go off on your own, but there will always be other players in the game world.

There is only one current version of the game. Right now that is version 5.4 and it includes everything that's part of WoW. If you have the game installed and you can log in, then you have everything installed too. There's no need to 'access' the CDs, they are already there.

Your account level determines where you can go in the game. If you have a full account, then it is at least up to Cataclysm (everyone was brought up to that minimum). To experience the content that was part of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, you would just head to Northrend. It's all still there even though the game keeps progressing past that point.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]