Ask The Devs #7 - Professions (Answers)

100 Human Warlock
First of all they need to be contrasting colors. Blue isn't the best idea and red probably isn't either. Think bright lime green or yellow, not blue and red.

Secondly... blue for herbs? Color coordinate the markers. Bright lime green for herbs (leaves/nature=green), yellow for nodes (gold/mineral color=yellow) and possibly White for fishing pools (foam=white.)

Color doesn't matter. Shade/vibrancy does. It is why that party members colored for their class still stick out no matter what color the map is. You don't lose a mage when looking at them in water. Blue and red would work just as well as yellow and lime green. Color coordination doesn't matter either. This isn't World of Fashion. Its about conveying differences in nodes in the best possible way. Which would mean that the best possible colors are picked.

Not colors that are picked just because they make "sense". Besides most ore would be black/grey/silver for the color of rock. Not yellow/gold for the color of the metal gold. So even your own picks are off.
100 Night Elf Druid
Would very much have liked some info concerning possibly upgrading goggles (besides "upgrading is not something we want for a BiS") and/or some way for Engineers to make a bit of the money we spent on leveling back.

Many people have reiterated the woes of Engineers, so I won't go over it again. Still, being a crafting profession with /nothing/ to sell is kinda sucktacular.
Edited by Aendrith on 5/16/2011 10:31 AM PDT
85 Gnome Rogue
Would very much have liked some info concerning possibly upgrading goggles (besides "upgrading is not something we want for a BiS") and/or some way for Engineers to make a bit of the money we spent on leveling back.

Many people have reiterated the woes of Engineers, so I won't go over it again. Still, being a crafting profession with /nothing/ to sell is kinda sucktacular.
If they're so worried about "free epics", then why not let us craft new goggles each tier, by either having a current helm as a required reagent/component, let by letting us use a current helm as currency to buy the schematic.
Edited by Mif on 5/16/2011 10:40 AM PDT
100 Human Warlock
Will you add more non-combat, or purely artistic, or stat-free, or random effect toy / fun / flavor items to the profession of my choice? – A multitude of players from all regions

Yes, especially considering they are some of our favorite things to add to the game. We can't promise that every profession is going to get equal amounts, but we definitely intend to spread them out more evenly, except for engineering. Engineers will always get more toys. :)

I think it is a mistake to still hold one profession above others in regards to "fun" and "toys". The whole profession system and crafting is a bit broken. For example when leveling tailoring for cataclysm I had to make multiples of things I never had a chance of selling at cost or of using.

If gear crafting became secondary perks rather then primary crafting it would be a whole lot better. This is accomplished by making toys be the primary means of crafting. Because those never become outdated with leveling and item level changes. A toy will always be fun.

This should also be combined with the "upgrade" part. Instead of having a person create 10 robes of worthlessness have them gain skill points off of creating the parts that go into the toy. Then they toy is the "final reward".

Think of it like 470-479 you create the components for the toy. 480 you get the cool toy. Rinse repeat till skill capped. As it stands now most times when you get the "cool" stuff you are already past the ability to level up.

I just think that the focus needs to be off of providing gear for crafting professions since you don't want to provide "bis" items. So it means that anything you add to the crafting profession becomes irrelevant pretty quickly since better or equal gear can be obtained from other means easier and cheaper.
90 Troll Druid
I guess Blizz couldn't figure a family friendly way to word "We will continue to *@@* over Engineering every major content patch"

I take this as a "*@@* you engineering goggles"

We continue to get the same stat boost from the glove tinkers that other professions get from their "enchants". Anybody who was expecting new goggles hasn't been paying attention for the last 2 1/2 years.

Weird, I'm pretty sure there are Leatherworking, Blacksmithing, and Tailoring recipes in Firelands. Not sure how us having one piece of gear we can make would be so OP compared to the three, four, or more recipes that other professions get.

The person you quoted is 100% correct.
100 Draenei Paladin
Was really hoping the "Will we ever get an upgraded JC bag?" question would make it in there. I am severely disappoint.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 5/16/2011 10:40 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Paladin
The concept of upgrading a piece of equipment is a very cool idea that we'd love to revisit, but not as a best in slot item. A crafted BIS item removes that entire slot as an interesting drop choice, and it strongly forces players into specific professions. For example, if there is a crafted best in slot weapon, you can bet a vast majority of players will feel obligated to take up blacksmithing, as was the case in the Burning Crusade. The profession perks, which are reasonably balanced, already add an incentive to take professions.

Engineering and their uber-helm is a perfect example of this. The only reason I didn't go engineering was because I already had alchemy and jc was easier for me to level. But in reality, I probably should have gone engineering, because that uber-helm is #3 for any class in the BiS list?
47 Worgen Mage
i like 2 see an interactive features 2 the professions as in a mini game of sorts where u get a superior item whan u finish the minigame within the talent
100 Human Warlock
Weird, I'm pretty sure there are Leatherworking, Blacksmithing, and Tailoring recipes in Firelands. Not sure how us having one piece of gear we can make would be so OP compared to the three, four, or more recipes that other professions get.

The person you quoted is 100% correct.

There is currently a engineering pattern for a 365 item level gun on the ptr according to wowhead and mmo-champion. So you do have something to create.
100 Gnome Warlock

Will professions at some point regain the ability to make upgradable items, such as the Weaponsmiths had in the Burning Crusade? It was quite a cool concept, and wouldn't be unfair if all crafting professions would gain at least 1 of those items. - Hydramith (EU-EN), Auryon (EU-DE)

The concept of upgrading a piece of equipment is a very cool idea that we'd love to revisit, but not as a best in slot item. A crafted BIS item removes that entire slot as an interesting drop choice, and it strongly forces players into specific professions. For example, if there is a crafted best in slot weapon, you can bet a vast majority of players will feel obligated to take up blacksmithing, as was the case in the Burning Crusade. The profession perks, which are reasonably balanced, already add an incentive to take professions.

So engineers and our goggles get screwed. Again. What was the point of
creating the cogwheels and implementing them in game if they were only
going to be used on 1 item for 1 teir?

Our belt tinker "perks" have a very high potential to kill you and/or
wipe your group. The glove tinker "perks" are sub-par compared to
other professions. Our goggles are distinctive and iconic of the
profession and they become worthless after 1 teir. Flasks, pots,
elixirs and gems dont become worthless after the first teir.
Leatherworkers, Blacksmiths, and Tailors get new patterns each tier to
craft new epic gear. So what do Engineers have again? Toys and
gimmicky novelty items.

I don't mean to sound rude, but if your not concerned with the Fun of engineering with the novelty items and toys, and you sound much more concerned with things like flasks, or gems.. why are you an engineer? Why not be a jewelcrafter, or blacksmith or something?

Edit:
And yes, I think it sucks that we can't upgrade our goggles.

Even if they're not BiS, they should still be upgradable when the next tier comes out. They are just too awesome to let die so quickly. I picked engineering because of Flying Machine, and I love it for the fun it provides..

Our crafted items suck, apparently our tinkers aren't up to par, we have no way to make money.. Fine.. I can live with that.. but we should at least be able to craft a nice helm for ourselves, which maybe not Best in Slot, should still be relevant for each content tier.
Edited by Gerlock on 5/16/2011 10:49 AM PDT
85 Human Death Knight
Will there be a way to distinguish profession nodes on the minimap for those that have two gathering professions? - Discordia (LA)

That’s a good suggestion. We recently added the ability to see your target and focus target on the minimap, but the feedback we’ve received from players is that they clutter up the map too much. Coming up with unique icons that work with only a few pixels might be challenging. We’ll give it a shot though.

If I may make a suggestion? Ores could appear as brown dots, Herbs could appear as dark green with a brown border (think tracking a flagged member of the opposite faction when you are not flagged), Fish could be light blue.

As to the talk of the new target and focus on the minimap cluttering it, that probably has more to do with big gold plus thing bordering them. Just a simple, small gold ring would have accomplished the same thing.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Crazy idea for upgradable crafted items: Make them only able to be upgraded, by completing quests in the tier. Let's say, given example, you have:

Twilight Executioner
Binds when picked up
Two-Hand Sword
1743 - 2597 Damage Speed 3.60
(602.7 damage per second)
+341 Strength
+512 Stamina
Equip: Increases your haste rating by 208.
Equip: Increases your critical strike rating by 188.
Requires Level 85

This isn't quite up to raid-level epics for tier 11, but numbers here are arbitrary. Point is, it is something crafted to fit the weapon slot until you get a better drop. I know many people who are still clawing at Magmaw for his mace, or archaeology for their sword.

Not BiS, still worth getting while running heroics. Helps people get into raids, gives the profession a perk. Now, what about upgrading?

To upgrade to the, say, "Sulfuron Executioner," you require additional materials (as would be expected) but some of them must be looted from Firelands bosses. What does this mean? Well, a few things.

First, only people raiding Firelands will be able to attain the upgrade. This ensures the crafted weapon will not be overshadowing tier-11 weapons, as you'd have to be killing Firelands bosses, which may have a potential to drop a better weapon anyway.

Second, it can tie into a questline about upgrading the weapon. Maybe you can have a questline to make it in the first place? This gives some immersion and uniqueness people enjoy.

Lastly, the item-level (and thus, stats) of the weapon can be less than Firelands drops (and in fact, would have to be, to guarantee no BiS possibilities) but still above the tier-11 level of weapons (making it worth upgrading to, even if you have a tier-11 drop).

By restricting the possibility of crafting to the level of endgame that players are currently involved in, you can control the power of the profession to ensure it doesn't surpass the available gear from bosses.

If you find this suitable, it could be pushed further into other professions. Scribes and BoP relics, Jewelcrafters and neck pieces or a ring. Alchemists and their trinket-stones. Tailors and cloaks! Engineers and their goggles! Leatherworkers and... help me out here, Leatherworkers. (Having a hard time thinking of something to cover all armor classes.) But you get the idea! A little thing that helps players starting off, that can be upgraded at each tier with BoP items found only in that tier, even if it's just a drop off of trash!

It may be too late to implement these BoP crafted items for Cataclysm, but maybe it's not. I know plenty of raiders would go for them due to poor drops, because of the upgrade potential, even if it comes in during 4.2.3. But, maybe it's an idea for yet the next expansion. I know you guys are always looking a step ahead. ;)
90 Night Elf Hunter
It took two weeks for those answers?
89 Night Elf Druid
I definitely hear what you're saying about Skinning/Leatherworking. I still don't have all the patterns from Cataclysm and I've been maxed out for quite a while here. On the other hand I've passively gotten enough CLOTH and ENCHANTING MATS to get all the patterns/recipes that those offer. I did manage to get all the epic crafts but there's a lot of people out there who also want the 339 PvP gear of which there are like 3 whole sets. Each costing 10 Heavy(50 normal) Savage Leather. Ouch.
14 Night Elf Hunter
Dailies. Don't we already have enough of them? Come up with new non-repeatable questchains for professions including archaeology. Lack of content is what is wrong with this xpac.
90 Troll Druid
This.
05/16/2011 11:01 AMPosted by Rohtak
I don't mean to sound rude, but if your not concerned with the Fun of engineering with the novelty items and toys, and you sound much more concerned with things like flasks, or gems.. why are you an engineer? Why not be a jewelcrafter, or blacksmith or something?

I'm an Engi and a Blacksmith. It's not that i don't care about the "fun" of being an engi, i'd just rather "fun" not be the ONLY thing the profession has to offer.

I am also really disappointed that they did not directly address any questions regarding engineering except to say we will be getting new pets. I don't think it's that people really expected new goggles (at least I didn't), more that we wanted to know if cogwheels would be incorporated in anyway beyond their current use.
Edited by Lhuna on 5/16/2011 11:09 AM PDT
85 Dwarf Death Knight
When given the opportunity to give real answers to real issues we get more talk about pets. I am disappoint. Why do these Q&As at all if it's only ever going to be softballs taken?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]