Ask The Devs #7 - Professions (Answers)

85 Human Warrior
05/16/2011 12:18 PMPosted by Discomoose
We've also discussed further incentivizing fishing in pools with faster skill gain.

I know a great way you can incentivize fishing in pools, how about making pools for all the fish, so that casters who want caster food can fish in pools instead of having to resort to open water.

This is a very big annoyance since the guild achievement requires fishing in pools, but any time i go out fishing for food i can't contribute because there's no pools available. On top of that, because were fishing in open water, its not a guaranteed chance at useful fish so it takes twice as long to get the same amount of food as say agility DPS since their fish comes from pools.

EDIT: Oh and we don't even get the chance at getting that great turtle mount either because were forced to not fish in pools.

See. I feel the opposite is true. I find it dreadfully annoying to have to fly around and look for pools to get the fish I want.

I much prefer to just find a nice spot and fish, and would rather all fish just be available in open water.

But i'm also of a different opinion entirely about greys and the like.

I would like fishing to get ANYTHING useful outside of raid mats. ANYTHING.

currently it's worthless for making money (o but lamp! you can get a few volatile water for every few hours of fishing!)
the greys are worthless
the fish that arent raid mats are worthless
they don't even vendor worth a damn.

and at the same time, they aren't even interesting. It'd be one thing if i was getting crappy greys if they were journals and logs and quest starting items and flavor text things that were unique-ish...but as is i'm getting greys and murglesnout that stack to 20 as HALF of my fishing at max skill with a lure on.
100 Draenei Mage
I really hope you make archaeology and fishing less boring. Honestly, I find them both incredibly tedious and annoying.

And you know what I really loved? Finding flavor text items! Those inside jokes and clever phrases made my boring day a little more bearable. I want more D:
85 Dwarf Hunter
Some good stuff here. Just want to give my opinion regarding archaeology, my favourite profession.

I have achieved every single archaeologt achievement. I am quite proud of it. In all honesty, I would be disappointed if dailies were added for archaeology. I mean, getting 525 was pretty easy, for those that want it maxed ASAP, while still leaving plenty of time afterwards to work towards the unique rewards and achievements.

I think, if archaeology were to be improved, we need two things:

a) I think some more achievements could be added. For example, in the next one or two big patches, a new race or simply a couple dozen more artifacts could be added, allowing for some more cool lore achieves to be gained.

b) Make use of the rares! I don't mean make them all high level epic gear, but give them more value. My favourite novelty one are the bones of transformation. I simply love turning myself into a naga. I think adding more rare such as this, and/or making them last longer (20 seconds just isn't enough...) would really make them something to be valued.

I guess my point is that there are ways to make archaeology better without making it into another secondary profession that no one does outside of dailies.
100 Human Priest
05/16/2011 01:55 PMPosted by Frewdonist
I really hope you make archaeology and fishing less boring.

Ever been fishing IRL? Personally, I congratulate Blizzard for making fishing and archaeology within an order of magnitude of how boring they are in reality.

But, that aside, as far as the archaeology commons, what I'd like to see is this: Have every common have 3 possibilities. First off, make "solving" a common generate no skill, but every common has an on-use skill-up that consumes the item. *or*, they can be vendored for gold, *or* they can be taken to faction-appropriate "museum curators" who grant faction rep for turn-ins.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Will you add more non-combat, or purely artistic, or stat-free, or random effect toy / fun / flavor items to the profession of my choice? – A multitude of players from all regions

Yes, especially considering they are some of our favorite things to add to the game. We can't promise that every profession is going to get equal amounts, but we definitely intend to spread them out more evenly, except for engineering. Engineers will always get more toys. :)

it's not important but they do have something about engineers
100 Blood Elf Priest
We can't promise that every profession is going to get equal amounts, but we definitely intend to spread them out more evenly, except for engineering. Engineers will always get more toys. :)

Look, sounds like favoritism for the Engys here!

/waaah they always get more toys than us!! (i can has sum plz - make them BoE!)

100 Dwarf Paladin
About the minimap focus target and target highlighting, these are great. I am not sure why someone would think this added clutter.

As a tank, having my healer on focus, and having the minimap highlight helps me to get a better idea of where the healer is.

As someone who uses /tar /target commands quite a bit to locating mobs, npcs, and players, having my target highlighted on the minimap is invaluable.

Different colors at least for different professions couldn't add that much more clutter, you already have different icons for mailboxes, innkeepers, trainers, etc.
100 Blood Elf Mage
We are working on a more thematic and interesting way to consume the artifacts you dig up. These include returning them to the museums (for the devoted archaeologist) and the option to continue vendoring them (if you wish to continue your career as a cold-blooded treasure hunter.)

...this makes me vaguely hopeful there will be a "Museum" faction in the game to grind reputation with. Insane in the Membrane needs a new faction to replace Shendralar once players begin to outgear the buffed Booty Bay bruisers, rendering the grind 'easy' again. A subgroup of the Explorer's League (since the original is currently used in Northrend) and the belf Reliquiary group might just be the ticket, if the grind involves a lot - a lot - of digging. Darkmoon Faire needs a rival.

It'd also give archaeology something that marks 'steady progress' along the way, rather than just the current lottery with regards to the high-end items. The feel that archaeology gave no rewards at all for hours on end is why I quit digging. +25 rep towards a faction per common artifact, and +350 per rare? That'd be an incentive to dig for me. In the meantime, I'd rather flip mysterious fortune cards all day; just as rewarding (i.e. not at all).
100 Blood Elf Paladin
05/16/2011 09:06 AMPosted by Kaivax
There are some other ideas floating around for moving between archaeology sites more quickly, and we've been brainstorming for rare random events when you are digging or fishing.

I've always thought having it so that random elite mobs spawn and give chance on drops would be great, adds a little more fun to Arch as opposed to flying, digging, flying, digging, it'd be exciting to have a rare spawn pop up and either engage you in some form of ancient combat or simply give you a nice arch quest chain of some sort.

Just food for thought!
Edited by Murderotica on 5/16/2011 3:24 PM PDT
85 Human Warlock

Are there any plans to change Original and Burning Crusade profession skills so that new players can skill up their profession skills more similar pace with leveling? Low level trade skill materials on Auction House are generally expensive for new players, and new players must feel they are stuck if they should left low level zones just for profession skill up, while they want to increase both of them at same pace. - Whitewnd (KR), Гаркара (EU-RU)

Yes. Definitely. As we move forward, making sure older content has a smooth flow is a top priority. In fact, we have Top Men working on it. Top. Men.

...so you're stashing that project in an unmarked warehouse somewhere with other Blizzard artifacts? >.>

90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/16/2011 09:17 AMPosted by Flamethrøwer
Seriously? No mention of cogwheels/goggles? That must have been asked like 50 times.

We have been asking since Beta.
85 Draenei Priest
Look it's great that you're answering these and all - but sad that questions that are answered always will be on the first couple of pages because no one bothers to read past the first couple of pages and rate the posts. With only the first twenty or so posts being rated significantly (before people stop paging or lose interest), first twenty or so questions will always be the ones that receive the most attention. I know you don't have time to answer them all, but how can we be sure you even consider them in the development process?

On another note, I think Google Moderator would be a better option than the forums, because it has built-in searching and deemphasisizes the order of things that were posted in, however, the character limit might come into play. In addition, Google Moderator would allow these to be on going, and you could answer questions from time to time when an interesting, highly-rated one comes up, rather than batches distributed to categories.

I suppose if we wanted answers immediately we could create a separate topic - at least then it would get community attention and possibly a meaningful answer.
Edited by Mystina on 5/16/2011 4:34 PM PDT
85 Draenei Priest
Random thought: Why do some bars cost 2 ore to smelt? Why not just increase the cost of the bars on items that require them? It's very frustrating to have odd amounts of ore.
90 Undead Rogue
Really nothing about engineering tinkers malfunctioning? What a HUGE disappointment.... Shame on you blizz.
85 Undead Priest
Why is there absolutely no comment/answers regarding the state of Engineering ?! ?? ? ?
100 Night Elf Hunter
I think the critter launched by the new scope should be Alvin the chipmunk and he should yell "LEEEEERRROYYYY" as he's flying towards the target.
85 Worgen Druid
Yay random events! i've missed them since leaving Runescape. make sure to make a frog princess!
100 Orc Shaman
[quote="25217502345"
Are there any plans to change Original and Burning Crusade profession skills so that new players can skill up their profession skills more similar pace with leveling? Low level trade skill materials on Auction House are generally expensive for new players, and new players must feel they are stuck if they should left low level zones just for profession skill up, while they want to increase both of them at same pace. - Whitewnd (KR), Гаркара (EU-RU)

Yes. Definitely. As we move forward, making sure older content has a smooth flow is a top priority. In fact, we have Top Men working on it. Top. Men.

Glad to hear there's at least discussion on this. I had no problem using a ton of netherweave and thorium (to name my 2 least favorite materials.....) per item when it was end game. Trying to level tailoring or blacksmithing now though is pain. I've no problem with people selling the materials for high costs as that's how I make money on newer characters (who I try to keep as self-sufficient as possible). But really, I shouldn't have a BS still farming thorium at lvl 65 because it takes sooooo much to get a skill up.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]