Ask The Devs #7 - Professions (Answers)

90 Human Paladin
You HAVE to be kidding me! Not even one mention of the missing patterns/recipes/etc. since the release of Cataclysm? Is Blizzard just planning on ignoring the problem until the crafting completionists quit?

I'll even offer a couple solutions. Since scribes currently have little interesting to craft in Cataclysm, why not give them the ability to copy old recipes on a cooldown? At the very least, add some kind of vendor with these missing items in stock.

Honestly, I could boil this Q&A down to this:

Q: There aren't enough interesting crafted items and grinding is boring. Could you throw us a bone?
A: Meh, we'll toss in some dailies, think about adding some new items at a later point, and add a pop-culture reference for you to geek out over. Later.

Blizzard needs to seriously look at the fact that after the first major patch in each expansion, each new faction's rewards become obsolete. I think a quest chain for each Cataclysm faction should be available, after gaining exalted, which rewards epic items that are still viable in the current raid content at the time. Otherwise, after the first major patch there is not really much of a need to gain rep through the remainder of the expansion.
90 Human Mage
Whoever asked about dailies for other professions needs to think about what they are asking for. JC is a pain because of the daily. Doing a quest every day for a year just to get all the recipes is not fun.
85 Tauren Priest
Sucks that I never manage to get any questions in these (such as why the drop rate on Wool Cloth is so miserable). Good to hear about these, even so, especially if Fishing is going to be faster skillups. Now, you need to make Deepsea Sagefish come from schools and make us casters feel a little less annoyed. :D

Also, re: different tracking for nodes. The best way to go about this (I think) is different colors for different types of resources, rather than using different icons altogether - though, I suppose this could potentially bring problems with our color blind population. Maybe a different icon (a small one) and have that be different colors based on resource type? Since there's only three trackable resources (fish, herbs and ore) I think this might be beneficial.
90 Blood Elf Mage
05/17/2011 11:26 AMPosted by Sherri
Whoever asked about dailies for other professions needs to think about what they are asking for. JC is a pain because of the daily. Doing a quest every day for a year just to get all the recipes is not fun.

Would be nice to see this moved to a weekly quota like what they did to the Random Dungeon reward. Logging in every day just to keep your character up-to-date on their cooldowns is a hassle.
85 Dwarf Shaman
RAR
05/16/2011 09:22 AMPosted by Coren
well, I hope they do make arch and fishing more interesting, and I really hope that they make the gathering profession bonuses decent, right now, the secondary stats they give just don't compare to the +80 of a primary stat.

And they need to make more than only 2 Professions the ability to give you those stats in the form of Resilience. Hell, only JCing and Eng give any amount of Res at all, let alone extra.

Biggest thing I would want to see w/ Professions would be that, and/or something to the affect of Ultima Online's "Soulstones." I have LWing on my Rogue, but I want JCing when I learn about the bonuses and versatility. Or I want Alchemy/Eng or something because you HAVE to have them to use the amazing Epics you can craft with them, instead of the pitiful LWing ones that can be bought for chump change on the AH.

But, you still don't want to waste all that time you put into leveling LWing to 525. So, you put the LWing "points" into the Soulstone, that your other characters can come get later! You lose all the benefits/bonuses etc. that you had on that character when you put the points in, of course. You could even level JCing or whatever on a different toon first, then put the LWing in the Soulstone, pick it up as the JCing character's second profession, and then put the JCing in the Soulstone for the first toon.

This @%%! would be SO useful in WoW...
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I feel bad that they are going to unbind Chaos Orbs...i myself have 11 or so orbs that i dont really use but if u unbind them then the BoE crafted items will signifigently drop in price. Also if u do that then when they add more BoE crafted epics later they will have to cost around 10-15 orbs to make it so they arent overly easy to acquire.

On a positive note love that they are going to continue working on archeology and that they are adding more fun toys to play wih during down time. :D
85 Draenei Priest
05/17/2011 10:58 AMPosted by Methød
Blizzard needs to seriously look at the fact that after the first major patch in each expansion, each new faction's rewards become obsolete. I think a quest chain for each Cataclysm faction should be available, after gaining exalted, which rewards epic items that are still viable in the current raid content at the time. Otherwise, after the first major patch there is not really much of a need to gain rep through the remainder of the expansion.

Incorrect - the Arcanums and shoulder inscriptions are BoA, but still require rep. You'll still need to grind out at least Therazane and one other faction on all your toons until this is changed.
85 Night Elf Warrior
05/16/2011 09:06 AMPosted by Kaivax
In fact, we have Top Men working on it. Top. Men.

85 Troll Druid
In regards to different icons for different gathering professions, it seems to me the easiest way to implement this would to have an option in the interface menu that allows you to individually choose colors for each gathering profession.

Also, to explain this system quickly to new players, upon getting two or more gathering professions a window could pop up on your screen that would explain that you can change the colors of the icons as you see fit as you see fit.

Potentially they could also include the option to change any mimimap "dot" icons. (Such as pets)
90 Blood Elf Mage
05/16/2011 09:17 AMPosted by Flamethrøwer
Seriously? No mention of cogwheels/goggles? That must have been asked like 50 times.

Enough of an implied message that I continue to collect cloth to switch to tailoring when I've got enough.
90 Blood Elf Mage
05/17/2011 01:08 PMPosted by Kwanyin
well, I hope they do make arch and fishing more interesting, and I really hope that they make the gathering profession bonuses decent, right now, the secondary stats they give just don't compare to the +80 of a primary stat.

And they need to make more than only 2 Professions the ability to give you those stats in the form of Resilience. Hell, only JCing and Eng give any amount of Res at all, let alone extra.

Biggest thing I would want to see w/ Professions would be that, and/or something to the affect of Ultima Online's "Soulstones." I have LWing on my Rogue, but I want JCing when I learn about the bonuses and versatility. Or I want Alchemy/Eng or something because you HAVE to have them to use the amazing Epics you can craft with them, instead of the pitiful LWing ones that can be bought for chump change on the AH.

But, you still don't want to waste all that time you put into leveling LWing to 525. So, you put the LWing "points" into the Soulstone, that your other characters can come get later! You lose all the benefits/bonuses etc. that you had on that character when you put the points in, of course. You could even level JCing or whatever on a different toon first, then put the LWing in the Soulstone, pick it up as the JCing character's second profession, and then put the JCing in the Soulstone for the first toon.

This @%%! would be SO useful in WoW...

I was just thinking that you should be able to trade professions between characters ;)

90 Blood Elf Mage
Would very much have liked some info concerning possibly upgrading goggles (besides "upgrading is not something we want for a BiS") and/or some way for Engineers to make a bit of the money we spent on leveling back.

Many people have reiterated the woes of Engineers, so I won't go over it again. Still, being a crafting profession with /nothing/ to sell is kinda sucktacular.
If they're so worried about "free epics", then why not let us craft new goggles each tier, by either having a current helm as a required reagent/component, let by letting us use a current helm as currency to buy the schematic.

Excellent idea.
90 Orc Warrior
There's a few good pieces of gear like the BS made belt and chest that are plenty good enough until Tier11 upgrades.

I was talking more of the pieces of gear that would be upgradable through different recipes liek the weapons from TBC.

Right... we're 6 months into the expansion and like wrath, pretty quick that will be the i200 equivalent with far better gear just one easy instance away. I'm not saying to make everything they make amazing but it would be nice if blacksmithing armorsmiths had one BIS piece that didn't get trivialized a few months into every expansion.
90 Orc Warrior
Will professions at some point regain the ability to make upgradable items, such as the Weaponsmiths had in the Burning Crusade? It was quite a cool concept, and wouldn't be unfair if all crafting professions would gain at least 1 of those items. - Hydramith (EU-EN), Auryon (EU-DE)

The concept of upgrading a piece of equipment is a very cool idea that we'd love to revisit, but not as a best in slot item. A crafted BIS item removes that entire slot as an interesting drop choice, and it strongly forces players into specific professions. For example, if there is a crafted best in slot weapon, you can bet a vast majority of players will feel obligated to take up blacksmithing, as was the case in the Burning Crusade. The profession perks, which are reasonably balanced, already add an incentive to take professions.

You know, the simple solution would be to take this idea and combine it with what you did for Battered hilt. Maybe you simply need to think of this one as not so much a profession related thing but an idea from professions that can be nipped from the grand tree and planted in new and fertile soil.
Edited by Thutmosis on 5/18/2011 1:11 AM PDT
80 Night Elf Druid
I enjoyed reading the answers to this one. Informative :)
90 Human Rogue
No, it should be neither a game function nor something someone need to tell you, because its so amazingly obvious(and mentioned in the course of the game anyway) that noone anywhere ever should have difficulty finding it.
86 Blood Elf Warlock
i really hope u make the leveling pace through questing and the pace at witch u level your proffesions more in tune with eachother.

Edited by Ínferno on 5/18/2011 6:46 PM PDT
burning crusades and ulduar was best work yall have done..go back
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]