Ask The Devs #7 - Professions (Answers)

85 Worgen Death Knight

I want a flying monkey mount. When can I get one?

Dorothea (Parker)
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hmmm, I like the fact they are looking into Archaeology, and some of the ideas are interesting in terms of adding dailies etc.

This still does not address the poor overall mechanic which is so obvious a fix. If players want to research one specific racial path (whether it be for lore or drops is really not of importance) they should be able to choose that race. It is poor design to have a layered RNG mechanic (coming from a professional game designer - the design makes me weep really).

I look forward to some of the new ideas for the profession, but really think it is imperative they concentrate on allowing players to focus on races they wish to research. If they feel they still want this to be a timesink (or long journey as stated), that is okay, but be sure to not have redundant items come up to locate - and once a race is complete no longer have sites pop-up for them. We can re-read the lore in the arch window yet continue to work and enjoy what other races have to offer without having to double back on something already completed...

Sadly was waiting two weeks for this discussion - sorely disappointed the core element of a potentially interesting new profession is still not properly addressed...

ah well - a work in progress I gather (no real pun intended...)
Edited by Gilthenas on 5/20/2011 8:18 AM PDT
85 Draenei Hunter
1) I'm not a fan of "having to" do dailies for my jewelcrafter, anyway, so I'm glad to read Blizz is leaning away from such things for other professions. Wouldn't be so bad if they could be done in 1-2 days a week, like the daily randoms.
2) Why not make crafted BiS items require mats from all professions? You could do the upgrade-ables and all that. Sure, there might be a slight leaning to whatever profession can make the final, but there would be ample incentive for people to enter the others for the mats. You could also make the recipes the end of long quest chains that involve making things that require mats of other professions.
3) I like the idea of Enchanters making wands. At low levels, they can be a relatively easy way to skill up. There is a lot of potential for them in the levelling and end-game process. Smithed blanks and other mats from other professions would be very cool. I'm a big fan of the idea of tying the professions together. Maybe tips from JC and weird dust/goo from Alch. Even coverings from LW.
4) For nodes, why not just let us change their colors? I know that, as a hunter, I would LOVE that option for my tracking. It would actually make the radar somewhat useful. (I skin on my hunter). Being able to distinguish between Beasts and Humanoids could be quite nice.
5) Tying Arch to other professions? You could give us a chance to dig up useful things for professions. Toys/machines that Engs could repair (or Smiths). Maybe occasional raw mats. Maybe a consumable that speeds up crafting.
6) So much potential with the "rare random events when you are digging or fishing" comment. I foresee a murlock popping up from a fishing spot and doing the singing frog routine. =) 1 potential big one would be to dig and fish up the pieces of a key to an instance. Maybe something more entertaining than challenging? Maybe a movie theater? Game room? Solo dungeon? Maybe something like the old class quests, but geared for 1-3 people? What if people could dig up items with the skins of obsolete items? Like Ashbringer and such.
As for the mini game idea (love it), why not tie in the old Peggle and Gems addons? I used to love those for my down time. I realized at 1 point that I was spending $15/month to play Peggle. =) Unfortunately, they now throw errors left and right. Digging up an "ancient game" could give the option of adding such things to the game experience.

I thank you for your time in answering a few of our questions. My scribe looks forward to the glyph research change. I also thank you for unbinding the Chaos Orbs AFTER I already have enough for all 3 of my 85s. =P
85 Draenei Hunter
05/17/2011 10:37 AMPosted by Daden
You HAVE to be kidding me! Not even one mention of the missing patterns/recipes/etc. since the release of Cataclysm? Is Blizzard just planning on ignoring the problem until the crafting completionists quit?

Many missing recipes are now available on the trainers.
Edited by Kaj on 5/20/2011 9:14 AM PDT
85 Draenei Hunter
An idea was mentioned where you could buy an awesome recipe by using the current tier item. I propose a slight twist to the idea: Make recipes w/in professions that are bought w/the current tier token and require the actual item as a material. So a hunter helm pattern would be bought with the token and the finished product would require the actual helm. This particular idea would encourage the Leatherworking raider.
90 Human Paladin
05/20/2011 09:12 AMPosted by Kaj
You HAVE to be kidding me! Not even one mention of the missing patterns/recipes/etc. since the release of Cataclysm? Is Blizzard just planning on ignoring the problem until the crafting completionists quit?

Many missing recipes are now available on the trainers.

Some are, sure, but why the inconsistency? There are still MANY that are still not in the game. I'm just sick of the silence on the issue when people make threads regarding missing recipes every single day.
85 Human Paladin
Are there any plans to make Chaos Orbs BoA or even BoE? - Mommycow (NA/ANZ)

Yes! They will be unbound in a future patch.

So ppl able to roll on it can bank up tons of orb for a "future patch and resell them but not ppl without teh right profession ?

I dont really care but obviously its not "fair"
85 Human Priest
Enchanting: I've always thought that staves and wands should be craftable, and enchanting should be used to imbue such items with magic. Wands were included at the very beginning of the profession - my perception is that designer(s) never fully implemented the idea, and as a result, it has always seemed incomplete/forgotten.

Fishing: ya, insanely boring. But it is in RL too imo, so not sure what else to say about it. lol

First-aid: it is completely under-developed. Yes, it is a secondary profession, so perhaps it should not have the same utility as a primary profession, but it stands now, its value is near negligible, even at lower levels when questing. I do however think it deserves more attention. There are lots of cool things that could be done with it (ex. combining with gathered or crafted materials to make magical bandages, healing sauves, antidotes etc. for one-off cleansing effects of poisions, diseases, and bleed effects).

Blizzard, any thoughts on implementing profession specializations? I always thought this was a cool idea, but it wasn't implemented very well. I felt that this idea was only partially implemented with very limited number of items, even for the professions that had it. I wished all the professions could have benefited from this kind of coolness. They don't necessarily need to be spec-based (ex. jewelcraftes could have specialization for cut gems vs jewelry).
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/20/2011 09:05 AMPosted by Kaj
2) Why not make crafted BiS items require mats from all professions? You could do the upgrade-ables and all that. Sure, there might be a slight leaning to whatever profession can make the final, but there would be ample incentive for people to enter the others for the mats. You could also make the recipes the end of long quest chains that involve making things that require mats of other professions.

They would either never be possible to make or they would cost 30000g
85 Worgen Death Knight
im happy to see ach getting some attention! i wish you would atleast give us a skill up gurantee up til 75 :(
85 Draenei Shaman
Consider the possibilities of FARMING as a secondary profession......

Stake (claim) a piece of land
Buy more land, sell it off
Grow your own food
Raise your own livestock,
Support other professions (cooking, skinning, herbalism)

Maintain your crops for bigger yields
Set up farmers market for additional income
Sell livestock to meat vendors or leatherworking for skins
Find rare seeds, plants and abandoned livestock, eggs from loot or questing

I found it to be an interesting idea though i am certain you could conjure up additional applications to this list.

What do you think?
90 Orc Hunter
I'm disappointed they didn't address skinning.

Yes, we can "choose" how much leather we skin from a (sometimes) small area of beasts, but we typically have to kill the mob first and generally get only one or two pieces of leather.

We need 5 pieces for a "thick" piece of leather, and 10 of those to make a piece of gear (plus elementals) or to buy a pattern.

Even when we get found leather (from mobs we didn't kill), that doesn't offset the amount of time spent as much as one might imagine.

And it seems like people don't choose skinning for their gathering alts as often anymore, I'm guessing because they can now track ore and herbs simultaneously, plus mining feeds three professions, herbalism feeds two, but skinning still feeds only one.

Of all the gathering professions, skinning is my least favorite because the amount of time and effort it takes feels very much out of balance with the amount of leather I gather.
85 Undead Mage
Nothing about Book of Glyph Mastery. LAME. >.>
Community Manager
Nothing about Book of Glyph Mastery. LAME. >.>

Perhaps you missed this? -

Will you provide a way to speed up the acquiring of glyphs usually acquired through research and glyph books? Glyph books (Book of Glyph Mastery) are hard to come by now that people spend so little time in WotLK content. - Furlqt (NA/ANZ), 에르네스트린덴만 (KR), Kånê (EU-ES)

Yes. We will be changing the discovery spells so they can teach all possible glyphs, and the books will simply provide a no-cooldown method to do the same thing.
90 Night Elf Druid
Leatherworking is still a really boring skill - it doesn't get any kind of pets or utility besides enchants. And making nothing but quickly outdated armor is pretty dull.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]