4.2 Conquest change

90 Undead Rogue
@Blues,

As a pvper who has played since vanilla, I still genuinely enjoy this game even after all the ups and downs it has taken over the years. I'm not after "phat lootz" and "purpz" that will help me kill the next dragon. All pvpers want to do is play arenas/bgs and have a good time fighting it out in a game that's balanced (or at least there are no gross imbalances). Gearing up is a distant second in terms of importance and is more of an annoyance than anything else.

The joy in pvp is out smarting and out skilling your opponents but this is a probelm for you because this is an MMO which means there must be constant progression and time sinks =( and for the pvper those are on the proverbial back burner. So my question is this,

Why must it be so hard and frustrating for me to play the parts of the game I enjoy? Is my $15 a month not as good as someone in <Paragon>? Pvpers are already in the minority and this change is only alienating them more. What happened to you Blizz? You used to be cool.
85 Human Hunter
After reflection, All i think i am going to do is get sufficient conquest to buy a decent ranged and melee weapons and make do with honor gear in the regular battle grounds, and just not let all this manipulation worry my little head.

In fact I may attempt to bring back 5 man premades to regular battlegrounds, thus having a fighting chance to simulate the impossible to arrange (for me and those i know) rbg teams.

Of course this means that a lot of unrated bg' teams are gonna be complaining about premades in their pug bg's.

To bad to sad your dad

85 Goblin Priest
05/13/2011 12:23 AMPosted by Bigßear
I'll personally start doing heroic 5 mans for the first time this expansion to reach my cap instead of rated bg's. You'd better get working on another way to encourage people to play rated bg's, because a lot of people will take this approach as well (assuming you don't nerf it, which wouldn't surprise me).

They will, of course.

They really want you into RBGs. Whatever you like it or not.

90 Night Elf Druid
05/13/2011 12:19 AMPosted by Daphnaie
You know what I find the most /facepalm out of all of this is that most people who quit because of changes like these that have been happening quite frequently lately are that they're planning on just going towards another Blizzard game.

Activision-Blizzard. Sure seems like the game aspect sits in the backseat nowadays. $$.

They need to give us more communication. TALK TO YOUR PLAYER BASE. LISTEN TO YOUR PLAYER BASE. Implement intelligent changes based on what the community concludes. Not what some damn chart says during a director meeting.
Edited by Zoology on 5/13/2011 12:29 AM PDT
85 Goblin Priest
05/13/2011 12:24 AMPosted by Daphnaie
What happened to you Blizz? You used to be cool.

www.activision.com

P.S. $$$

its sad isnt it? especially for some of us who have put 10+ years into playing blizz games.
90 Dwarf Hunter
@Blues,

As a pvper who has played since vanilla, I still genuinely enjoy this game even after all the ups and downs it has taken over the years. I'm not after "phat lootz" and "purpz" that will help me kill the next dragon. All pvpers want to do is play arenas/bgs and have a good time fighting it out in a game that's balanced (or at least there are no gross imbalances). Gearing up is a distant second in terms of importance and is more of an annoyance than anything else.

The joy in pvp is out smarting and out skilling your opponents but this is a probelm for you because this is an MMO which means there must be constant progression and time sinks =( and for the pvper those are on the proverbial back burner. So my question is this,

Why must it be so hard and frustrating for me to play the parts of the game I enjoy? Is my $15 a month not as good as someone in <Paragon>? Pvpers are already in the minority and this change is only alienating them more. What happened to you Blizz? You used to be cool.

This whole expansion has just seemed so out of whack. Thoughtless changes, kneejerk buffs/nerfs, had class changing hotfixes every week there for awhile. It just feels like they're starting to lose sight of what they had been building for years and what was developed throughout wotlk, being the mutual respect and communication between the playerbase and the devs. Since GC stopped doing his regular forum posting, we don't get much on blue responses other than finding out their favorite color, seemingly off the wall changes and buffs/nerfs frequently, and general lack of direction. They spend more time fixing what isn't broken (and even break it more often than not) instead of fixing core class mechanic issues, gameplay flaws, or the real balancing that doesn't involve a frost mage, warrior, or dk.

Arena and BGs didn't need changing. RBGs were a failed experiment. It happens. Accept your losses and move on. We didn't need the guild finder. We didn't need guild challenges. Wouldn't the efforts have been better spent fixing severe spec imbalances for pures or making Enhancement more up to par in all environments? More examples could be given. Things along those lines are something that really affects the playerbase as a whole?
Edited by Bullettime on 5/13/2011 12:31 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Mage
Rated BGs would be a much more attractive way of getting points if it wasn't such an absolutely ridiculous grind to get to a point where you get any increase in points at all. I have a ~2400 battleground MMR and 64% rated bg win ratio (not bad considering how many pugs I did just to get my rating as high as it is) - I've played 71 rated battlegrounds, and when you consider that the average rated bg match takes anywhere from 15-30 minutes, and you sit in queues for 15 minutes, that's a HUGE time investment.

And you know what my BG rating is? Below 1700.
85 Night Elf Warrior
05/13/2011 12:08 AMPosted by Zoology
I do so love when Blizzard decides to try and use the stick approach instead of the carrot. -_-

Carrot approach didn't work. AKA 4.1 point change.

Fairly medieval analogy, yet it applies very very well.

I would hardly call that change a carrot. Getting points took longer post-4.1 than it did pre-4.1, so that's more like a stick. A stick that said "STOP PLAYING ARENAS."
90 Night Elf Druid
I would hardly call that change a carrot. Getting points took longer post-4.1 than it did pre-4.1, so that's more like a stick. A stick that said "STOP PLAYING ARENAS."

I viewed it as a carrot, because I didn't need to do Rated Battlegrounds. Sure, it sucked. It might have been tempting to follow that Carrot (more points per win) into Rated Battlegrounds, but I didn't. So now Blizzard is busting out the stick and saying that if I don't get my ass into Rated Battlegrounds, I'm going to lose out most of my points. Whack Whack Whack!
90 Undead Rogue
05/13/2011 12:26 AMPosted by Bullettime
This whole expansion has just seemed so out of whack. Thoughtless changes, kneejerk buffs/nerfs, had class changing hotfixes every week there for awhile. It just feels like they're starting to lose sight of what they had been building for years and what was developed throughout wotlk, being the mutual respect and communication between the playerbase and the devs

This is exactly it. They've lost sight what they should be doing and where this game should be going. It felt like Wrath was the peak of complexity in this game in terms of class mechanics and what not and then Cata just smashed that complexity to bits.

I guess that's what you get when you cater to the lowest common denominator in your player base. Funny though, this change seems to be very anti casual. Playing some quick 2v2 matches is way more casual than winning rated bgs.
85 Human Rogue
05/13/2011 12:36 AMPosted by Methy
this change seems to be very anti casual. Playing some quick 2v2 matches is way more casual than winning rated bgs.

It's a conspiracy.
90 Human Warrior
I read thru every single post in this thread and theres one thing I dont understand. Why is everyone using the word forced to do rated bgs so much. I dont think they are forcing you to do rateds and no other way gets conquest points, they are just saying to get more conquest points go do rated bgs. While I agree to maximize you will need to do rateds I assume that having a top tier weapon will probably help you more than having 500 more points a week.

Also having played and beaten people with better gear then me in spare time its not gear that determines winner its strats and the ability to execute that strat (as well as some RNG crits). This seems to me like a gut reaction "sky is falling" response where what the proper response shoudl be is wait and see. If this goes in and radically changes anything I will be surprised.

My advice to the people posting and reading this thread is to just let it happen and if the 1 extra piece of gear every 3 weeks(and i mean the cheap pieces) is truly impacting PvP that much im sure blizzard will do something about it.
85 Night Elf Warrior
Rated BGs would be a much more attractive way of getting points if it wasn't such an absolutely ridiculous grind to get to a point where you get any increase in points at all. I have a ~2400 battleground MMR and 64% rated bg win ratio (not bad considering how many pugs I did just to get my rating as high as it is) - I've played 71 rated battlegrounds, and when you consider that the average rated bg match takes anywhere from 15-30 minutes, and you sit in queues for 15 minutes, that's a HUGE time investment.

And you know what my BG rating is? Below 1700.

I'm in the same boat. I've put more time into grinding my RBG rating than my arena rating, yet I'm still sub 2k rating with MMR over 2200.

As a side note, I am often placed on FC duty and I feel like turtling was mostly fixed by the debuff changes. FCs die very quickly once there is a 30% damage increase after 5 minutes. It often comes down to calling a target switch so that the other team's FC dies before yours does.

P.S. I liked the idea they had about applying the debuff to both TEAMS instead of just making the debuff scarier for the FC. What happened to that?
85 Human Paladin
Isn't Blizzard located in California?

Perhaps they should consider relocating.

It seems some of the, ah, perks of living in Cali might be affecting some people's judgment.
85 Worgen Death Knight
As an aside to those in the thread:

Yes, some of you really hate BGs. Some of you really hate arenas. Personally, I really hate the way they handled rated BGs, and many others seem to agree, there...

But can you please leave the attacking one another over how yall choose to spend your free time in another thread? It's not really very useful here.
90 Undead Rogue
RBGs were a failed experiment. It happens. Accept your losses and move on.

This too. Blizz seems to be getting more and more belligerent and stubborn. They'll never back down because they're never ever wrong.

stay small blizz
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]