4.2 Conquest change

100 Human Paladin
It's a good change. Conquest gear was way too easy to get in general this season, and absolute terribles are walking around in full vicious with a tier 1 weapon because they can grind out 5 wins out of 30 games in 2v2.

At least this way it makes PvP epics less like welfare. The real pvpers will earn conquest points just as quickly the only people suffering in this are the 1100 2v2 teams that only play 5 games a week.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
So, as many of you are interpreting this change, it is to encourage more participation in Rated Battlegrounds. We see the fact that participating in Arenas is by far the superior way of obtaining top-notch PvP gear, in terms of time investment, as a problem. If you want to maximize your Conquest Point gains in patch 4.2, you'll need to participate at least a little bit in Rated Battlegrounds.

We know this may not sound very appealing to those of you who have grown accustomed to spending as little as an hour a week getting the top PvP currency in the game via Arenas over the last couple of expansions. To put things in perspective though, the total number of items that can be purchased with Conquest Points today is much larger than what you used to be able to buy with Arena Points pre-Deathwing world explosion. And there is no longer a requirement to “grind” unrated BGs for Honor each season, so the real time investment isn't changing as much as some players are perceiving it to be.

On top of that, the frank reality is that the total time investment required in season 9 to get all your points has been much, much too low, as you could do that from a few 2v2 Arena games each week completed in less than an hour’s time. It shows that Rated Battlegrounds are currently sub-par in terms of the rate at which points can be accumulated.

We do feel this change is necessary to keep the time investment vs. high-quality item accumulation in check, even if it doesn't read well on paper. However, as always, your constructive feedback is welcomed. :)

Didn't you solve the "time invested" issue when you changed the points per win from a % to a flat amount? I agreed with that change, 5 wins to cap on points was just way too low.

But this change doesn't alter anything regarded time investment. The time investment, theoretically, isn't going to change. What is changing is that in order to earn the same amount of points I am now, I have to do something I don't want to do. I did the raiding thing and I don't anymore because as soon as I have to adhere to schedules and worry about the other 90% showing up and on time, it just becomes a job. Some don't feel that way and I understand and accept that. But I know I'm not alone in equating RBGs to raiding, which is probably the prime reason I choose not to participate.

If you still feel like the time investment in order to hit the CP cap through arenas is too low, then why not increase it? The way this change is playing out, it just feels like punishment for not playing the game the way Blizzard wants me to play it.
85 Human Mage
05/12/2011 08:29 PMPosted by Zarhym
On top of that, the frank reality is that the total time investment required in season 9 to get all your points has been much, much too low, as you could do that from a few 2v2 Arena games each week completed in less than an hour’s time.

Reasonable.

However, what are the participation rates like? It smells a bit more like "RBG participation is low, we will make the arena players do it".

What is an acceptable time frame to aquire full points?

It shows that Rated Battlegrounds are currently sub-par in terms of the rate at which points can be accumulated.

As a heads up - thats not why people stay away from them ;)
90 Blood Elf Paladin

On top of that, the frank reality is that the total time investment required in season 9 to get all your points has been much, much too low, as you could do that from a few 2v2 Arena games each week completed in less than an hour’s time.

Mostly agree. However when there was a rating system on the gear I think it made the time investment more on par for the average arena'ers. Maybe we could compromise and bring back rating on arena gear?

71 Human Priest
Already canceled my account.

And no you can't has my stuff: I gave it away already
85 Undead Warlock
05/12/2011 08:40 PMPosted by Wirethrone
Just scrap arena, it's not PvP anyway.

The people that hate arena are the people who are not good at it.
That all you got? Some asinine comment on an alt? lol
70 Human Mage
05/12/2011 08:43 PMPosted by Relapse
If you still feel like the time investment in order to hit the CP cap through arenas is too low, then why not increase it? The way this change is playing out, it just feels like punishment for not playing the game the way Blizzard wants me to play it.

Reasonable.

However, what are the participation rates like? It smells a bit more like "RBG participation is low, we will make the arena players do it".

Agreed 100%
90 Human Warlock
Terrible idea forcing people to do what they don't want to do is a great way to keep the player base....
85 Human Rogue
This is just another dumb*** change that won't change anything other than upset more people on top of the dumb*** guild raid change every company falls sooner or later. I am primarily a pvper. Had i been a pver i would have quit already. Yes rated bgs suck there should be a limited number of healers because it sucks trying to kill a tank with 150k hp ,and 4 healers spam healing them its not fun its boring and time taking.
90 Human Paladin
Zarhym, I think you don't understand.

Rated Battle Grounds are simply not fun for most spec's.
Rated Battle grounds are just Arena with Larger teams and Objectives.
A lot of specs are left out simply because they aren't just as effective as others. There are Comps in rated battle grounds... certain classes are always more needed to others.

I feel that rated Battle Grounds need to be more like the old school battle grounds system.
But with a real system which not only counts win but all the things that you can do in battle grounds..... Capping flags, defending them. Killing Blows, Kills and Healing!

Honestly having two forms of high end pvp that require good class make up is not funn at all.
Edited by Swope on 5/12/2011 9:03 PM PDT
90 Dwarf Hunter
So, as many of you are interpreting this change, it is to encourage more participation in Rated Battlegrounds

I don't think you understand that people don't care about battlegrounds. It is incredibly unbalanced and arena is much better either way. If you think having a tank holding the flag with four healers backing him up is fun then I don't know what to say. Don't feel like wasting 20 minutes of my time knowing we cannot kill that tank.

This 100x. People don't do RBGs for "lack of incentive." They don't do them simply because arena tends to be more fun and more accessible for most players. Trying to force players to do RBGs won't fix anything except make them not want to PvP period.

RBG balance tends to be much much more worse than arenas as well and it's pretty bleeping obvious when you do a capture the flag style and there's 3-4 healers just spamming an invincible tank for 20 minutes literally. Then comes the process of organizing them WHEN NO ONE CARES ABOUT THEM. Some servers don't even have the population pool with enough interest to form up a team.

Until the RBG system becomes more accessible, balanced, and not a complete waste of time, people will still play strict arenas regardless. Arenas have their issues but they're fast paced, they're fun even if you aren't that good, and as said before..they're accessible. You get a lot of leeway in your comp and can just have some good fun in 2s or 3v3 with an on the fly group of friends. THAT is a primary reason why arena is so popular.
Edited by Bullettime on 5/12/2011 9:15 PM PDT
90 Undead Warlock
We know this may not sound very appealing to those of you who have grown accustomed to spending as little as an hour a week getting the top PvP currency in the game via Arenas over the last couple of expansions.

It'll take me less than an hour to grind out my 2800 point cap!

Now I also have to pursue an avenue in your game that is for the most part an utterly imbalanced a dull attempt at pvp?

No thank you. It's like you're swatting at players trying to get them to quit your game.
92 Human Paladin
Please stop trying to make people do Rated BG's its like having 40man raids again the majority just want a smaller group to deal with less time organizing. I'm in a small guild that has very few pvpers all my old arena partners have quit the game over the years and I don't want to have to leave my guild, which i feel like i would have to do to compete in rated BG's.
85 Undead Death Knight
I don't normally reply to blizz posts because your probably gunna forum ban me for it.
I have pvp'd since vanilla in bgs/arena/rbgs what have you, I currently sit at almost 1900 in rbgs and i've been over 2300 this season. I think its fair to say I have experienced high end pvp.

If your going to force us to rbg for the cap, its time to start improving the system, current capture the flag type bgs and bgs with only three nodes need to go away.

capture the flag devolves into 4 healers spamming one invincible tank
and your new ab 2.0 bg devolves into who can get two capped first, because after you cap the two its damn near impossible to get them back. The ONLY bg you guys have that is reasonably balanced is ab, and thats because there is a power struggle, and more space.
This having been said, if your going to force us into this for our gear, remove wsg/tp and gilneaus they are trash and easily exploitable. Even if you kept the gil in you need to make the time it takes to get to each node = currently alliance side gets to water works a full second and a half ahead, that makes a big difference when ccs like ring of frost exist for area denial.

I honestly think you guys have lost touch with your playerbase, I hope you keep screwing this game up so I loose the desire to play to be honest.

so keep up the good work!
85 Night Elf Hunter
"We want to waste your time and grind endlessly on 4 healers + 1 tank. Thanks for your money!"
90 Human Death Knight
To be honest it's starting to feel like I'm going to have to wait out rated BGs and hope they just get scrapped before the end of the expansion, since there are no or next to no teams on my server alliance side and I have no interest in joining one regardless. Making rated bgs more attractive is one thing, negatively affecting arenas to try to make rated battlegrounds more appealing is something else.

Meh, whatever.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]