05/12/2011 08:29 PMSo, as many of you are interpreting this change, it is to encourage more participation in Rated Battlegrounds. We see the fact that participating in Arenas is by far the superior way of obtaining top-notch PvP gear, in terms of time investment, as a problem. If you want to maximize your Conquest Point gains in patch 4.2, you'll need to participate at least a little bit in Rated Battlegrounds.
Posted by Zarhym
If time investment is the problem, then you need adjust the amount of conquest gained from a single arena match. bottom line. If 2v2 is too quick for the investment then break up the brackets such that 2v2 gets 2/3 of the gain of 3v3 (the ACCEPTED end-game bracket that YOU decided to balance around and that a TON of the playerbase finds fun). Heck, make it 15 arena wins vs 2 RBG wins for cap if you want... people that enjoy arena will still do it because thats what they enjoy
I really can't stress enough how bad it is to try and tell a playerbase how they should play a game. (notice i said "A" game, not "YOUR" game. because as soon as we started playing it and investing into the community it became ALL OF OURS.)
I know that you may not listen to me because i'm just one subscriber, i've been in this game a long time however. I have two subscriptions, 3 85s, more 70+ and a full page of alts. I have 12 people in my guild that came to the game because I told them how great it was.
Things you need to consider before implementing this change:
1) battlegrounds haven't changed hardly at all. I don't even really have to explain this one. there are so few battleground maps its frankly asinine. put some development time into giving the players a reason to even look at them again rather than seeing the same maps for 4 years.
2) Not everything has to be a 'raid' to be fun. Every single thing in this game could be balanced around a 5 man team. everything. It would probably be more fun to raid Cho'gall with 5 than 25 in all honesty, but the point is that pushing people to a 10 person model for the 'top end' progression doesn't mean that its more fun. It just means it requires more people to see if its fun.
3) really i should have put this one at #1, but i'm doing this on the fly... Your playerbase is not interested in Rated Battlegrounds as they are currently implemented. Let me emphasize... AS THEY ARE CURRENTLY IMPLEMENTED
They lack the element of accessibility (spelling... it sucks). You looked at dungeons and raids and said 'hey, we need to get more players into this... lets create a system to put groups together where anyone can get going on their way to raid glory...' And then in the next breath said 'f*ck pvp, they need 10 players all grouped up on the same team'.
4) players that want to be competitive in the end-game that they choose (ARENA) should not be forced into finding more players to be consistently competitive at their chosen endgame.
If you want RBG to be the top, make the RBG accessible gear BETTER, but not allowed in Arena. I promise you, no one who plays arenas with any seriousness will complain about that change because all they want is a LEVEL playing field.
5) Arena does not = Dungeons. I don't know why you think this. the # of players being similar is the only thing about these two things that are alike. Don't make Arena subordinate to RBGs because it fits your model of what 'progression' should be. Arena is a seperate endgame for a lot of players.
This is the crux. You need to change the way RBGs are accessed if you want players to give a good g*dd*mn about them, and you need to actually put some development time into making them not the same old stale cr*p and keep the playing field level between Arena and RBGs.
As i've said above, i've really been playing this game a long time, and i've been coming to the forums for quite a bit of that time too. I have never made a post directly to a blue that uses the above language. I am not a whiner, i'm a reasonable, average player, and you are f*cking pissing me off with your lack of attention to what your players have shown you and I feel like i'm talking to a wall of screaming children. I have 'taken a break' in the past, cancelled a sub then come back... i won't pull the 'i'm leaving' card because my friends are involved in this as much as I am. However, I will tell you this: you are sacrificing my loyalty as a customer for the model that you want the game to fit. pay close attention to what your players are saying, and don't give me the 'this is only a small portion of the playerbase' B.S. line, because if Rated BGs had the numbers you wanted, this change wouldn't be necessary, would it?
I'm done talking, you'll do what you want like always. I just care about this stupid game too much i think. /disgustednerdrage