How is it fair that DPS never get CTAs?

86 Dwarf Warrior
From what I understand the majority of the servers haven't seen any significant change to their queue times and other servers have for some strange reason seen their queue times go up.

But while the queue times aren't changing enough to really be seen as a positive... the tanks are still getting rewarded.

I have 3 tanks, 3 healers and 1 DPS so I'm not really too concerned by this because I already had instant queues just for doing something I enjoy doing... but I have to say that you're a real piece of work if you don't see something extremely wrong with how this experiment turned out. I think that since the intended result of the CTA was not achieved (significantly lower queue times for DPS) but the reward is still there DPS are more than justified in being angry. Maybe if the DPS queue times dropped down under ten minutes as a result of this then there would be grounds to tell DPS to quit crying about a pathetic reward but they didn't drop down enough to be considered a positive. A long time is still a long time but now DPS has the added frustration of watching someone else get a goody bag while they're still waiting... and waiting... and waiting.

edit

EQ2 you don't have this problem
EQ2 has the problem of being offline since the beginning of the month along with all of Sony's other online games and content.
Edited by Berzerküs on 5/13/2011 7:29 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
05/13/2011 07:26 PMPosted by Kevyne
This is how and why WoW suffers so much. EQ2 you don't have this problem. Ninja or grief, it's your last time joining a-n-y group.

EQ2 also has a much smaller community than WoW.

Sort of like small towns vs large cities - guess which has less crime per capita.
25 Blood Elf Priest
05/13/2011 07:08 PMPosted by Therogué
As I said in my post above - I've kicked so many bad tanks from groups I don't seem to be able to call more votes.

And people wonder why tanks don't bother.

Look.

New tanks have to learn somehow, somewhere, somewhen. And they will be bad at first. They can be helped to be better by their group if the group so chooses.

I've got a level 36 Pally sitting on the shelf currently. I've been thinking about starting to learn to tank but when I read posts like this I think, "No, not this week."
85 Troll Hunter
Yeah, getting rid of it would work. Haven't seen an improvement in time and I'm not keen on an already arrogant tank/healer getting a mount I've been farming for since pre-BC.

You can't reward or entice certain specs when some people don't have the time to have multiple geared toons to use. I've finally settled down and haven't main hopped in nearly a year and I get told "Play a tank and git da Baron's Mount"

The argument from players of, "Just play a tank/healer" which is usually followed by some insult to intelligence or sexuality would be justifiable if I was still playing a Paladin or a Shaman but to the pure DPS classes this Call to Arms is nonsense and is actually the first thing I would call "unfair".

I have a 19 month old, two jobs, school, and my wife is in a Masters program so we're not exactly full of free time like we were five or even two years ago.

Even if gearing/heroics were crazy easy like it was after 3.3 I still wouldn't gear an alt just to see him get all the mounts/pets I've been farming for years.
85 Human Death Knight
I've been both a tank and dps on this toon and have a pure dps class as well. Queue times are still around 45 min for dps and the bags arent worth it, 30g in a bag when your repair bill can be 100+ gold, useless pots that are given to dps most of the time anyways. Also when tanking I out dps and out damage most dps so the qq about we have to bring the damage to down anything. Well the truth hurts, you guys arent doing your jobs very well while tanks have to dps not die by using defencive cd's move out of bad stuff, watch for 1 shot attacks, possition the boss or mobs so that the melee dps doesnt get hit by a cleave.

What do dps have to do other than damage and not stand in the fire? Not too much. For the dps saying all you have to do is hold aggro are the ones that tried to tank and died in 5 sec flat without the healer able to get out an instant cast. If tanking or healing were so easy why not roll a healer or tank? I mean most dps are actually saying healing and tanking is easy. If you like your mage lock rogue or hunter by all means stay dps. If your a DK warrior paladin driuid shaman or priest take one of your dual talent specs to your tank or healing roll and make queue times better and get the bag if thats the only reason why your complaining.
85 Dwarf Shaman
DPS really should stop whining about this, and stop taking tanks for granted.

Just to remind them how important we are... from time to time, I let one pull aggro, and laugh quietly to myself when he gets one-shotted.

Crap like this is why you don't deserve a thing from queuing being honest. I'd say that would even come close to harassment / reportable levels. It's that attitude that gets tanks such bad reputations.

My dk alt, at the time still in 9 or 10 blues, pre-4.1, was doing a heroic HoO. The tank and his 2 guildies decided they didn't want the healer of the group for the last boss, so they tried to vote kick him for no good reason. Ofc, being 3 guildies, they needed the 4th vote, me, to follow suit. I didn't. So they sat there, on the elevator, refusing to proceed, their tank spouting nonsense at the head of it all.

To cut a long story short, the resto druid, with my dk, 2 manned rahj while those 3 fools sat outside the instance wasting our time. It was honestly very satisfying to throw it back in that tank's face after he brought that attitude with him.

You think you're "important"? No one's so important that they're above replacing. That sort of arrogance really ain't warranted, especially on the forums. Moreso when it's someone claiming importance who puts 20NR on their helm, resilience on their shoulders and 40 armor on their chest. You'd be an instant votekick for me in a dungeon.

Today -

Me - Mage, get on my target.
Mage pulls aggro while dpsing the wrong target, I taunt it back.

Me - Mage, get on my target. The one marked with a skull.
Mage pulls aggro while dpsing the wrong target. Mage dies.

Mage - WTF!? Why you let me die? L2hold aggro!

86 Dwarf Warrior
05/13/2011 07:31 PMPosted by Therogué

And people wonder why tanks don't bother.

Look.

New tanks have to learn somehow, somewhere, somewhen. And they will be bad at first. They can be helped to be better by their group if the group so chooses.

I've got a level 36 Pally sitting on the shelf currently. I've been thinking about starting to learn to tank but when I read posts like this I think, "No, not this week."

I can deal with someone being new. I'm willing to help someone who wants to learn. I'm not willing to deal with someone who queues for free lewts because the option is there despite not having the gear.

There's a big difference between someone being bad because they're new, and someone being bad because they don't care and just want the freebies. Everyone was new once.

Edit: grammar fail.
Outside of them telling you they're only tanking for lewts how do you know?
100 Draenei Paladin
05/13/2011 06:09 PMPosted by Zarhym
Perhaps there are better ways for us to lower queue times without having to offer additional rewards to the class role in highest demand in the Dungeon Finder, but Call to Arms is a feature we were able to develop in a much more reasonable time frame.

Unfortunately there is no way that you (Blizzard) can affect the ability and competence of people who use the LFD tool.

I'm a tank. I do not use the LFD tool at all. I don't even have the "the Patient" title on my tank (sitting at 49/50). CtA offered no incentive for me because the crap I have to deal with is the same. Honestly I don't think there is a bribe big enough to get me to use the LFD tool.

I enjoy doing dungeons with people I know, people that know how to play their role, people that I know can play well. I am simply not prepared to take a chance on being grouped with people that don't - therefore I don't use the LFD tool.

Strangely enough, I didn't feel this way on my healer in Wrath (Skylaar - same realm/guild, has the title and the pug dog). I actually felt like I had more control over the outcome on my healer than I did on my tank.
Edited by Muletia on 5/13/2011 7:37 PM PDT
85 Dwarf Priest
It doesn't really solve anything to be honest. The rewards aren't great enough for me to suffer through tanking for 3 brain dead dps or heal a tank in dps gear. I'd rather go with my guild where I know we'll finish the run with minimal repairs.
87 Worgen Warrior
My queue times have dropped dramatically on DPS alts I've been leveling. Like a minute or so and bam, you're dungeon is ready.
90 Human Paladin
EQ2 also has a much smaller community than WoW.

Sort of like small towns vs large cities - guess which has less crime per capita.

Yet each server size is about the same. EQ2 just doesn't have 241 servers.

Get it yet?

The WoW population isn't evenly distributed across realms, and dungeon finder groups are cross-realm anyway. Your point has no merit.
85 Tauren Warrior
05/13/2011 07:29 PMPosted by Umaddbro
Yeah, getting rid of it would work. Haven't seen an improvement in time and I'm not keen on an already arrogant tank/healer getting a mount I've been farming for since pre-BC.

We ain't getting sheet, nobodies getting a mount, it's a lie.
86 Dwarf Warrior
05/13/2011 07:35 PMPosted by Theol
My queue times have dropped dramatically on DPS alts I've been leveling. Like a minute or so and bam, you're dungeon is ready.
CTA is only for heroics. Not leveling instances. I don't believe... let me go check on my druid.
Edited by Berzerküs on 5/13/2011 7:37 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
05/13/2011 07:31 PMPosted by Therogué
I can deal with someone being new. I'm willing to help someone who wants to learn. I'm not willing to deal with someone who queues for free lewts because the option is there despite not having the gear.

It's great that you're patient with new tanks. Unfortunately, you're in the minority.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]