Beast for Beast Mastery?

85 Goblin Mage
I'm trying to find a really good tamable pet for Beast Mastery spec until I can use the Beast Mastery talent to tame an epic pet. I'm currently using a worg/wolf and it does alright with the 5% extra crit I get from it, but I was hoping there was another pet that's better then what I'm using.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
get a sporebat..

No just kidding go here to see whats available and all the abilities they have.

http://www.wow-petopia.com/

Spirit beast are nice, and depending what you want to do I like sithilids
Edited by Trický on 5/16/2011 1:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Well, at least he's asking about pet buffs instead of "wut r best DPS pets?!"
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
When not in a group, a cat is the single best pet for you. It provides a 100% up time Agility buff, 549 at level 85, that scales with your level. In a group, this gets over-written by DKs and one other class, so it's still useful to keep around.

In a group, the best pet is the pet that provides the buff you are missing.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Thanks for the info guys. I'm probably going with a cat type. The website helped a lot as well. Thanks again. :)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Something else to consider though, the wolf's 5% crit buff also applies to healers.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
I'd also recommend a tenacity pet - preferably turtle or beetle for their 12 sec 50% damage reduction - so you have your own pocket tank for those group quests.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Get a spirt beast there good for raids and pvp also shale spiders are nice with there 3 sec stun and buff
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
Spirit beast, the heal is REALLY op.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
When not in a group, a cat is the single best pet for you. It provides a 100% up time Agility buff, 549 at level 85, that scales with your level. In a group, this gets over-written by DKs and one other class, so it's still useful to keep around.

In a group, the best pet is the pet that provides the buff you are missing.
Horn of Winter (DK), Windfury Totem (Shaman), and Battle Shout (War) all provide the same buff as Roar of Courage.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Hunter
05/16/2011 01:43 PMPosted by Vazu
I'm trying to find a really good tamable pet for Beast Mastery spec until I can use the Beast Mastery talent to tame an epic pet. I'm currently using a worg/wolf and it does alright with the 5% extra crit I get from it, but I was hoping there was another pet that's better then what I'm using.

LOL at all the other replies here.

First off, define "better" here before anything else. You DON'T want to be the butt of that old running joke on the Forums, the "I want the best pet for the DPS. I am leet" bit. Really, you don't.

(That video is up on both You Tube and on WarcraftHuntersUnion, if you're really all that interested)

Tell us what purpose you're using the pet for; that way we can better advise you.

Want a pet to tank multiple mobs with ease? Get one from the Tenacity family (bears/turtles/boars are commonly available) - talent them right and they can tank just about anything.

Want a pet for teh DPS? Ferocity types are what you want (your Wolf is Ferocity) - cats are of that type. Be aware that if you use one of their abilities (Prowl) you might as well not spec Dash - Dash cancels Prowl. Personally, I'd rather the pet get there fast than be sneaky and slow - haven't used a Cat since mid-40s.

Want a pet that's more about ranged DPS/crowd control/group buffs? Cunning is for you then. Plenty of pets in the Cunning tree have some sort of ranged skill, from the poo-flinging stun of a monkey's Bad Manners to the Chain Lightning-esque of the Chimera's Lightning breath. Cunning are the halfway point - not as much DPS (slightly) as Ferocity, a leetle better than Tenacity.

Just go to www.petopia.com, look over the three families, find a pet you like that you can tame, and go for it!

Personally, I use a Bear, Chimera, and Wolf - wth my fourth slot currently either open, or using a Devilsaur/Core Hound depending on what I'm doing. When you start group dungeons/raiding, you'll probrably change up pets a lot - so as to bring a group buff that the party doesn't already have to the table. Wolves, Core Hounds (exotic), Cats etc are popular, because their buffs duplicate plkayer-brought buffs that may not have been brought (depending on group comp).

Depending on your Hunter's level, he can have up to five pets available and swap between 'em - so the "which is the best pet" question becomes entirely moot after level 20 (when you can buy Call Pet 2).
Edited by Daimoni on 5/16/2011 7:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Be aware that if you use one of their abilities (Prowl) you might as well not spec Dash - Dash cancels Prowl. Personally, I'd rather the pet get there fast than be sneaky and slow - haven't used a Cat since mid-40s.

No it doesn't.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
05/17/2011 02:50 AMPosted by Wolvergreen
Be aware that if you use one of their abilities (Prowl) you might as well not spec Dash - Dash cancels Prowl. Personally, I'd rather the pet get there fast than be sneaky and slow - haven't used a Cat since mid-40s.

No it doesn't.

It's actually charge vs prowl, not dash.
Reply Quote
9 Draenei Paladin
Well, since you mention you want a pet which doesn't require the beast mastery talent I will assume your still leveling up. In reality at this point it doesn't matter so much what pet you have as long as you stick with a ferocity one, you can kind of go with whatever pet you like at low levels, your really going to kill fast enough that it wont matter. Check out petopia for which pets fall into which class, and which ones you can get at your level.

For me I usually like a cat best, the agi buff helps, and since you likely wont be grouped a lot you wont be getting it from a different source. That and I just like cats since they are the best! However you should always have a tank pet with you for those pesky group quests. Pick the one you like, as people mention turtles are nice, but I leveled with a scorpid and never ran into a group quest that was even moderately difficult with it. Do make sure to spec it as a tank though, not for DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
05/17/2011 05:06 AMPosted by Oldirtbeard
Say what you want regarding pets DPS not mattering but I can tell you from cycling pets in Dummy tests, Heroics, and BG's that Spirit Beasts added about 1,500 to 2,000 DPS above my plain jane ferocity pet.

We're you testing with pet buffs disabled? A Spirit Beast brings the same +549 Agility buff that cats bring, which gives you almost 1100 more AP versus any other pet. This alone is enough to influence your results in the direction you stated. You should test again with all special abilities (Ravage, Acid Spit, Furious Howl, Roar of Courage, etc) disabled.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
05/16/2011 03:22 PMPosted by Wolvergreen
Something else to consider though, the wolf's 5% crit buff also applies to healers.

And to caster DPS.

A wolf is my go-to pet when I'm grouped with anyone, as a result. Elemental Shaman, Fury Warrior, or Feral Druid are rare enough, in my experience, that the buff is almost never provided anyway. I carry a wolf, a cat, a raptor, a core hound, and a turtle with me regularly, though I sometimes swap out the core hound and turtle for other pets when I'm raiding with a comp I'm not used to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]