Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon

85 Draenei Shaman
One would think that features that enhance social interactions would be included in the monthly subscription of a mmorpg...

Is wow becoming a pay-to-play single player game? Because it's starting to feel like it...

I think its time to re-subscribe to xbox live...
85 Troll Druid
05/17/2011 01:19 PMPosted by Carmelo
lol I would never pay additional money for a feature like this. If you would, more power to you. Honestly, it just made me laugh.

The sparkle pony crowd will most certainly pay for this.

I doubt it. I have a glitter pony, but that's because my boyfriend thought it'd be a nice gesture considering how many alts I have.

I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for an actual in-game feature that should be free. Mounts and Pets are one thing - being able to group up with a buddy on a different server that has obligations to his new raiding guild and can't server xfer to my server just to do dungeons with is a completely different story.
90 Goblin Warrior
Couldn't see myself paying for this, even if it allowed cross faction groups.

I don't mind paid race changes and server transfers but I'm pretty turned off on the idea of paid in-game features for a game I already pay monthly + xpacs for.
Makes me wonder why we didn't get charged to use the optional Voice Client they developed back in the day.

THAT would've made sense. Not being able to play with friends from other realms.

I recall once Blizzard said Premium Services wouldn't ever affect the actual game. And this does.

Pets are one thing. This game functionality is a completely different one.
Wrong. You can still do everything the dungeon finder intends to do, except invite those friends. Thats not affecting functionality.

Playing with friend does affect it.
Having a mount with another skin or a new pet does not.

If they charge for this, they may as well charge for AH (we can trade face to face), the RDF (we can go to the dungeon entrance, playing with random people is a luxury), using mailbox (you can trade face to face), etc, etc, etc.
90 Tauren Paladin
Think the main problem with ppl complaining every time money is thrown out is now one does realize the costs of something as Huge as WoW.

How many servers are there? i bet the cost thousands to keep running in each cluster.
Wow never really tells you much on server setups . But i gather each content is a serve. severs for instances. and are grouped as a realm.

Development, you have to pay your employees for work, Hey d you get raises at work? i bet they do too or they wouldn't have employees stick around.

If you don't want to pay then don't that's your choice don't sit around and bad mouth them.
Blizzard is a Company they are there to make money, i bet WoW pays for development for your other Pretty games Like Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 since they are just Pay 50 dollars for a multi million dollar development game and cost no fees to play.

well, i'm glad that Blizzard wasted countless man hours and money developing something you and 8 other people will use.

Other companies make games like Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 and release it for 50-60$ too, and they don't have WoW backing them up. They make money off them. If you think blizzard is making sc2 and d3 just because they have nothing to spend their money on, you are mistaken.
85 Orc Warrior
Wonder how much it is.
Cause like - it will prolly be cheaper to transfer to your friends server instead of pay for a few months.
85 Undead Warrior
05/17/2011 01:20 PMPosted by Kevandi
Well, to play devil's advocate, I can see why they might want to make this a paid service. Wanting to play with friends is a big reason why people server transfer, and if they no longer have to do that, Blizzard will undoubtedly lose some money on it.

Grouping up for heroics is no where near the extent of "playing together" that a server transfer gives you. They're not even comparable.

This type of microtransaction is more typical of a free-to-play MMO than a subscription-based one like WoW. It directly affects what kind of gameplay a user can access. This is a far cry from server transfers or pets from the store.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This is an outrage. I'm going back to bar hopping and movie watching, it was only costing me... oh... nevermind.
I will not be paying for this. This should be a free service.
80 Gnome Death Knight
People don't understand.

THIS is a feature that should be included in WoW. It's what was insinuated when Real ID was added, but we never got it.

On top of that, if this has a charge, just wait.

Soon, it will cost $5 a month to use the Auction House. After all, we have the Trade Channel, and can trade person to person.

Oh, and the LFD tool? That's another $5 a month. After all, we went years without it in the past. That's what the LFG channel and the invite to party option is for.

Don't even get me started on battlegrounds or arena.

And as I said on another page, a quote from blizzard themselves back in 2008.

We chose to go with the subscription-based model instead of that approach. We've taken the approach that we want players to feel like it's a level playing field once they're in WoW. Outside resources don't play into it -- no gold buying, etc. We take a hard line stance against it. What you get out of microtransactions is kind of the same thing and I think our player base would feel betrayed by it. I think that's something else you have to decide on up-front instead of implementing later.
--Rob Pardo, Blizzard's Senior Vice President of Game Design (2/20/2008)

From that: "We take a hard line stance against it. What you get out of microtransactions is kind of the same thing and I think our player base would feel betrayed by it."

I feel betrayed on so many different levels.
51 Troll Warlock
If you don't like it don't pay for it. As the economy moves forward, we still pay $15 a month. this isn't a necessity, I personally won't buy it but again it's not needed to play the game.

Am I sad? Yes, but as long as my subscription stays the same and major content is always being provided within my subscription, I'm fine.

That's just the problem, it won't stay the same.

This is just a sign that blizz is trying to make WoW into an mmo like EQ or other things...uh..dungeon and dragons online perhaps?

Adventure packs, content buyable, gear buyable, etc.
90 Troll Druid
Maybe a one-time setup fee would be reasonable. Every month? Doesn't seem like too many would bite there.
85 Troll Warlock
I didn't sign a TOS saying I needed to pay extra to play with friends, Just saying.
85 Troll Priest
To all you people saying how expensive it is to keep a game like this running -- yes it is, but blizz makes around 170 mil a month JUST from subs. A couple thousand for each server to stay up hardly dents that, and the salaries they have to pay could most likely be paid just from people buying the premium services already in game.

They have more than enough money to implement this feature without making us spend more money on it. They just feel the need to make up for the 600k lost subs. (Which was done in a horrible way)
Think the main problem with ppl complaining every time money is thrown out is now one does realize the costs of something as Huge as WoW.

How many servers are there? i bet the cost thousands to keep running in each cluster.
Wow never really tells you much on server setups . But i gather each content is a serve. severs for instances. and are grouped as a realm.

Development, you have to pay your employees for work, Hey d you get raises at work? i bet they do too or they wouldn't have employees stick around.

If you don't want to pay then don't that's your choice don't sit around and bad mouth them.
Blizzard is a Company they are there to make money, i bet WoW pays for development for your other Pretty games Like Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 since they are just Pay 50 dollars for a multi million dollar development game and cost no fees to play.

6+ years of 8+ million users + 3 expansions + true premiums (race change & faction change are the only ones) + little odds and ins from the store. I would say they have it covered, yes I know servers cost $ to maintain, yes I know they advertise a lot, and yes I know they keep a staff on hand just for WoW, but all of these thing should be covered by the monthly fee, thats why its there.
57 Gnome Warlock

Premium

uhhh....no more money from me
90 Human Death Knight
I'll pay for this service as soon as you stop charging me 15$ a month
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]