Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon

85 Human Paladin
"Polishing the brass on the Titanic."

It's a great idea for a feature. The premium services add fun and convenience and really do not take anything away, but they go against Blizzard's original business-to-customer relations model. Wringing every last cent out of a product that's end is on the horizon is both practical and alienating. What a conundrum.
85 Orc Warrior
I'm really starting to hope one of the upcoming mmo's really works and sticks it to you Blizzard. All you are about anymore is premium services. You make it sound like you can barley afford to cover the costs of development. The truth is you are one of the slowest mmo's to innovate, upgrade or update. While other mmo's have rewritten their clients (see EvE Online), pushed ingame innovation (Rift, Warhammer, Aion) you guys continue to suck in money off of minimal effort invested into the game. How about you consider lowering your monthly fee if you are going to continue to gouge for services? OR maybe make them free. I understand the money it takes for a development cycle and you guys make more than enough off of standard monthly fees. Thanks for continuing to show you are really more concerned about taking peoples money instead of pushing a better game.
88 Draenei Paladin
Blizzard, do you not remember how this went around the same time last year? I was cool with the mounts, the pets and the race-change stuff, not many players really need these. But this is a game feature! Something would should all have, what is our $15 going to?

How far are you betting you can bend the player base before it breaks? You're really digging your own grave here Blizz.
85 Undead Warrior
"We chose to go with the subscription-based model instead of that approach. We've taken the approach that we want players to feel like it's a level playing field once they're in WoW. Outside resources don't play into it -- no gold buying, etc. We take a hard line stance against it. What you get out of microtransactions is kind of the same thing and I think our player base would feel betrayed by it. I think that's something else you have to decide on up-front instead of implementing later.
--Rob Pardo, Blizzard's Senior Vice President of Game Design (2/20/2008)"

=*(

I felt like this needed to be quoted again.
85 Human Death Knight
"Polishing the brass on the Titanic."

It's a great idea for a feature. The premium services add fun and convenience and really do not take anything away, but they go against Blizzard's original business-to-customer relations model. Wringing every last cent out of a product that's end is on the horizon is both practical and alienating. What a conundrum.

This.

Slap in the face to people that have been gaming for years.
How ironic we would end up being gamed ourselves.
100 Draenei Shaman
Great we have to pay. I'm sure cross realm herilooms will cost me too when they figure it out. Probably will cost me more each month to even use trade chat in the near future. If every "nice" feature that you add will cost me more money then stop wasting your time on them and add more content for the subscribers that have been paying for years now.
85 Blood Elf Warlock
at the rate this is going it will have maxed out posts in less than 3 hours during a non peak hours w00t!.

Are you preparing a Part 2 thread Neth?

and then there is this:

https://games.slashdot.org/story/11/05/17/013237/Valves-Newell-One-Price-For-Everyone-Business-Model-Broken?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

recent comments from Valve co-founder Gabe Newell
about how he thinks [1]the traditional video game business model is
flawed: "The industry has this broken model, which is one price for
everyone. That’s actually a bug, and it’s something that we want to solve
through our philosophy of how we create entertainment products. What you
really want to do is [2]create the optimal pricing service for each
customer and see what’s best for them. We need to give customers, all of
them, a robust set of options regarding how they pay for their content.
An example is – and this is something as an industry we should be doing
better – is charging customers based on how much fun they are to play
with. Some people, when they join a server, a ton of people will run with
them. Other people, when they join a server, will cause others to leave.
We should have a way of capturing that. We should have a way of rewarding
the people who are good for our community."

^that's just so you guys who mentioned valve have a quote. It appears that this new business model is going to take over games in a lot of areas.
Edited by Andrealock on 5/18/2011 7:40 AM PDT
100 Human Mage
Funny, I want to see what the Blizzard Defense Force(Blizz fan boys) will say about this.

Charging for a service like this is just greedy. I can see charging for cross realm transfers, race changes etc etc but charging for a Dungeon Finder? lawl ...

I'm often as critical of Blizzard as anyone (especially when they make changes just for the sake of change), but in this case, there MIGHT be a valid reason:

They're adding new servers for players using this feature.

Think about it... what does your subscription pay for? Basically two things:

1. New content (i.e. future development)
2. Server administration (i.e. current system costs)

If they way they're setting up the new system is basically adding new "cross-battlegroup instance servers", then it could make sense that they need additional income to justify the expenditures. That's why the mobile apps cost money - they needed additional infrastructure to talk directly to the mobile phones (I remember that from a blue post a while ago).

I will admit it's possible they're going to be using existing servers, and this is just another way for them to get more money (Activision DID lost money last year, despite all the income from WoW subscription fees). However, it's also possible there isn't anything sinister at all about this, and they're merely trying to cover the increase in operating costs by billing the people who will actually be using the service.
85 Tauren Hunter
05/17/2011 12:02 PMPosted by Nethaera
With the continued popularity of the Dungeon Finder,

Are you insane?? With all the compaining and crying?? you call that popularity?? You really have no clue....
100 Night Elf Druid
If yesterday somebody posted about the winged lion and said "What's next Blizzard, charging us to group with our friends?" people would have said he was blowing things out of proportion and/or being a fear-monger.
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
While I tend to support Blizzard's philosophy in a number of things (remote AH, iPod/iPhone services, purchasable mounts/pets), this is not one of those things I can readily agree with. This, in my eyes, has broken the general agreement that purchasable "extras" within the Battle.Net service would not be game-altering in nature... I find that this announcement constitutes a marked departure from that philosophy into one I personally disagree with.

So... I simply won't buy this functionality, and hope that it does not signal an overall change in Blizzard's philosophy or the beginning of micro-transaction based system.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Was excited till I saw the premium based thing. Now I don't care.
100 Human Paladin
You probably wouldn't make this analogy if you knew how Cable providers functioned.

You're just comparing completely unrelated things.

Whether or not the analogy is perfect or not, it still stands. You pay for a subscription to play wow as it stands now. Blizzard is announcing a new service that because of its complexity and (let's face it: awesomeness) deserves a cost. It's not your job as the consumer to dictate what should be free or not. You can disagree with its price and not buy it...but demand it for free? It's ludicrous. No where in the real world can you do such a thing.
This offers the same functionality as when the cross-realm dungeon finder was introduced, did we pay for that? It's not complex, it's the dungeon finder except it's with specific people instead of random. It is our job as a consumer to determine a products value, if no one buys it then Blizzard loses money for their development time on this feature. Honestly, they should've just charged for the RealID "service" instead.
100 Tauren Druid
With the continued popularity of the Dungeon Finder,

Are you insane?? With all the compaining and crying?? you call that popularity?? You really have no clue....

Popularity is deemed by how many use it in this case, not by a minority of players who complain about every little thing on an internet forum.
Edited by Teranin on 5/17/2011 2:34 PM PDT
85 Troll Druid
You probably wouldn't make this analogy if you knew how Cable providers functioned.

You're just comparing completely unrelated things.

Whether or not the analogy is perfect or not, it still stands. You pay for a subscription to play wow as it stands now. Blizzard is announcing a new service that because of its complexity and (let's face it: awesomeness) deserves a cost. It's not your job as the consumer to dictate what should be free or not. You can disagree with its price and not buy it...but demand it for free? It's ludicrous. No where in the real world can you do such a thing.

We do, however, have the right to voice our opinions.... and that you would have the audacity to imply otherwise is nothing short of ludicrous. We cannot dictate policy to them, as has been demonstrated time and again, but if you believe that companies have the right to charge whatever they want and that consumers should say nothing, and open their wallets every time a company asks them to, then I hope for your sake that your local ISP doesn't decide to double their rates overnight.

And beyond that, they are planning on charging people for the ability to play with friends. One of the touted advantages of the realID system was the ability to communicate with other players cross-faction, cross-server, and even cross-game. This is a natrual extension of that system, and in concept should be a great new feature that strengthens the community and provides players with additional options. As a premium service, it instead demonstrates that the wonderful features of their new systems will only be available to those willing to pay.... one must wonder what new "features" will also require money. This not only is a disappointment, it removes my ability to be excited about new features they're developing because I cannot know that any of them will actually be a part of the game, as opposed to part of some additional premium service.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]