Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon

85 Blood Elf Priest
Apparently none of you here are familiar with other games that have done this when they saw their customer bases start a decline. EQ1 & 2 both have a Marketplace where you can buy extras for the game with real money. Its a way to squeeze extra money out of the hard core fans that won't leave a particular game, to make up for those that do. You'll see more and more of this, and many people will be willing to pay for the "enhancements" to the game because they are so attached to the game and their characters. Selling pets for RL money was the first step. When I saw this, I was having flashbacks to EQ1 again after like... 3 years away from it, as that kind of "fun" stuff is some of the things people with extra money will spend it on.
100 Human Death Knight
Thank you for making me want to continue to play this game.

EDIT:

As this is a fairly complex service to develop, we don’t have a release date to share quite yet. It’s important to note that as with some of the other convenience- and connectivity-oriented features we offer, certain elements of the cross-realm Real ID party system will be premium-based, though only the player sending the invitations will need to have access to the premium service. We'll have more details to share with you as development progresses -- in the meantime, you may begin to see elements of the feature appear on the World of Warcraft PTR.

Nevermind. So you're basically if I want to play with my friends I have to:

A)Transfer my character to their server or vice versa for $25
B)Pay whatever you're going to charge for this service.

Why cant this be free? It's not an extra service like the remote AH/GChat. It's an extension of a currently FREE in-game feature.
Edited by Triteia on 5/17/2011 12:58 PM PDT
100 Human Mage
I was all yay till it said premium, on that note save the development time blizz.

Do not want.
86 Goblin Shaman
05/17/2011 12:52 PMPosted by Fryer
Currently we can only party with people from other servers in our battlegroup.

False. My main character is in the old Nightfall group, which does not include the Lightbringer realm. Yet I had a tank and healer from Lightbringer the other day.
55 Gnome Death Knight
Does this mean subscriptions will be free now? Since there are so many premium elements? Because premium on top of a paid service doesn't make any sense - aside from abusing market positioning.

See how long that lasts.
100 Gnome Mage
1) Real ID - strike one!

2) Premium based - strike two!

...and so far, this is supposed to attract 600 k customers back how? No it its more likely you guys will drive more away over this.

And really, why can't you make this at least part of our subscription? In what way is this feature is so technically difficult you have to gouge us further over? This is simply disgusting!
100 Worgen Death Knight
05/17/2011 12:53 PMPosted by Arindrys
Apparently none of you here are familiar with other games that have done this when they saw their customer bases start a decline.

I'm very familiar with them, and I find them as insulting as I find this.
I was happy until I saw it would be a premium service. Even if it's a 1 dollar fee, I won't be paying for it.
85 Worgen Hunter
Right. Lets charge money for a feature that should have been implemented with RID in the first place. What the hell, Blizz? Are you guys really going to charge me money to play with my friends? Next thing you know we're going to be paying $5 to get into Firelands.
90 Human Death Knight
If it based on the "Real ID" system, doesn't that mean I would be required to share my Real ID information - my real-life e-mail address - in order to participate?

So basically, IF I am willing to share personal data with complete strangers AND I'm willing to pay for "premium services" on top of my subscription fee THEN I can get a tool that might make /LFD less bad?

That's quite a deal.
75 Tauren Warrior
We already pay $15 bucks a month for this game. Why do we need to pay extra for a service like this? Honestly, this should have been a part of LFD from the beginning.
Edited by Krakoth on 5/17/2011 12:58 PM PDT
90 Tauren Shaman
I was pretty excited to read this, until I got to the part where we might have to pay for it.

Ridiculous.
85 Undead Warrior
05/17/2011 12:02 PMPosted by Nethaera
certain elements of the cross-realm Real ID party system will be premium-based, though only the player sending the invitations will need to have access to the premium service.

....... Wut.

Gee, thanks for getting me all excited and then this. :| Ugh. Why the hell is this not being offered for free? We already pay a subscription; WoW is not a F2P.

If it based on the "Real ID" system, doesn't that mean I would be required to share my Real ID information - my real-life e-mail address - in order to participate?

So basically, IF I am willing to share personal data with complete strangers AND I'm willing to pay for "premium services" on top of my subscription fee THEN I can get a tool that might make /LFD less bad?

That's quite a deal.

RealID has always been meant for people you already know in real life or people who you are sufficiently comfortable sharing your e-mail and full name with. This is nothing new.
Edited by Naunet on 5/17/2011 1:00 PM PDT
90 Human Priest
05/17/2011 12:55 PMPosted by Ashencrest
Currently we can only party with people from other servers in our battlegroup.

False. My main character is in the old Nightfall group, which does not include the Lightbringer realm. Yet I had a tank and healer from Lightbringer the other day.

With the xpac, they joined all realms in the data center to the pool.
83 Blood Elf Priest
Terrible decision, for the fans, to make it require a separate fee.

I wonder how much 4.3 is going to cost us?
I wouldn't be, unfortunately, surprised if they started charging us for using the Auction House in game. I mean, that's a convenience service, we can sell things face to face.
05/17/2011 12:52 PMPosted by Fryer
Currently we can only party with people from other servers in our battlegroup. This new invitation system will surpass that and have zero realm restrictions. I do not know the entire infrastructure of Blizzard's servers, but I highly doubt Blizzard is going to go to great lengths to improve the server connections furthur without fees. Also, 'certain' features will be premium-based. I doubt partying with friends in the same battlegroup will cost us because the connectivity is already there.

It already has no limitations anymore. I'm grouping with people outside of my battlegroup all the time since Cataclysm. Hell, I sometimes get people from my main realm when I'm on my RP ones, and they were NEVER in the same battlegroup! Whatever they're doing, it's an in-game tool unlike all of the other "premium" features, one that was begged for when Real ID was announced, and one that I highly doubt warrants it's own premium subscription.

This isn't a free to play game. 11,000,000+ pay ~$15.00 a month, not counting the handful already part of premium services, not counting the insane amount of money they make every time they release something to the pet-store, and not counting the ludicrous amount they must make every time they release an expansion.

Obviously, a huge chunk of that is not profit, however if it wasn't enough to keep the game going, it wouldn't be going. They make way, way more than enough to cover their expenses. Premium tools, no matter how small, should never wiggle their way into the game world. Premium anything in a very expensive game should be some thing that does not bring limitations to what I can and cannot do within the game.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]