Patch 4.2: We Bid Thy Keyring Adieu

Community Manager
World of Warcraft has evolved quite a bit since the day the Keyring bag slot was added in patch 1.11. When implemented, the Keyring provided players with a convenient way of storing dungeon, quest, and other keys automatically. Back when the largest bag was a mind bottling 18 slots -- rumored to be bottomless -- the Keyring helped save precious bag space. But as things tend to do, time went on, bags got bigger, and designs for (literally and figuratively) gating content evolved through the years. In today’s Azeroth, keys don’t really serve much of a purpose except to take up physical storage space from the game (which could be used for other awesome stuff), and visual interface space from you. Because of this, we’ve decided to get rid of the Keyring in order to free up that space for new features. This change could also potentially allow us to play around with the amount of default storage space you’re allotted down the road. So, what does this mean for you and the keys you might not have looked at in the last couple expansions or so?

We’re currently working on the implementation of a system in patch 4.2 which will handle the removal of the Keyring, while causing you as little hassle with keys as possible. Some keys which no longer serve a purpose in the game will automatically be removed from your inventory. In return, you’ll be compensated for them with their respective vendor sell prices in gold. You might also have random leftover quest keys from outdated quests, or quests which were removed in Cataclysm. Keys that fall into this category have no use and no sell price, as they are labeled as quest items, and will be automatically removed from your inventory. Any remaining keys that might still potentially serve some use in the game will be transferred into your regular inventory. If there is not enough space in your inventory to hold any leftover keys once patch 4.2 hits live realms, the keys will be placed in a backlogged storage system. Once space is made for a backlogged key, the key will take that space after you log out or switch to a new zone (i.e. changing continents, entering a dungeon or Battleground, etc.).

We are continuing to work on new ways of allowing you to better manage the storage of various items in the game, and it is our goal to make sure the removal of the Keyring causes as little inconvenience to you as possible.
90 Night Elf Druid
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I. LOVE. MY. KEYS!

You'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands!
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Extraneous items with no aesthetic value. Farewell, useless keys.
72 Tauren Death Knight
/golfclap
Why don't you just get rid of ALL the keys?

There's rally no point of keeping older keys around.

Give us a goblin/gnome machine in our capital cities that opens locked boxes for a fee.
74 Blood Elf Warrior
Does this mean that attunements for BC heroics are gone?
90 Night Elf Druid
05/23/2011 09:52 AMPosted by Bashiok
This change could also potentially allow us to play around with the amount of default storage space you’re allotted down the road.

Does this mean that the keyring (which can change in size), may one day replace the backpack (which is forever stuck at too small)?

Or perhaps it becomes a place to store my tabards?

As for the keys: OMG I have no where to put them all! (Yes I still have ~10 assorted keys).

Edit: If this is the case, can we do both of these changes at the same time? I'd really like to free up bag space, not lose it.
Edited by Aluri on 5/23/2011 10:04 AM PDT
85 Worgen Druid
For some reason I thought the keyring came out during BC.. =|

Anyway... /sad
85 Tauren Druid
So what blizzard is saying is.. "We understand some of you guys are already having bag space issues so what we're going to do is remove the feature that allowed you to keep those extremely situational but still mandatory keys from taking up space by making them take up more space! Wait.. uh.. that didn't come out right"

Yeah ok, if you give us more bag space in lieu of removing keyrings, great, a net gain IMO. But last I checked there will STILL be keys in the game. I love how obsidium skeleton keys are now usable by everyone (BTW why haven't you applied this to all BS skeleton keys?) and how you can neatly tuck them away in your key ring to grab at a second's notice. Whoops! Can't have such sensible convenience like that!
85 Human Mage
MAH KEYZ!!!!!!

I liked clicking on my key ring from time to time :(
85 Draenei Paladin
Can we possibly get a list of the keys and other key-like items that will not be removed come patch 4.2?

I'm guessing keys like Key to the Focusing Iris and its heroic equivalent will still be required, for example.

[EDIT] Or, rather, a list of keys that will be removed, rather than a list of keys that won't. Looking over Wowhead some more, for some reason I completely didn't think of keys used for quests and such that would still need to be in-game.
Edited by Malachyte on 5/23/2011 10:13 AM PDT
85 Human Priest
Is this really necessary? I didn't see anyone complaining about keys..
90 Dwarf Hunter
My bank and bag slots are all filled with 26 slot bags. As a collector of many things, space is extremely precious to me.
4.2 robs me of my precious keys and what small bag space I have left ? I'd sure like to know what I get in return.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
We still have a number of keys that serve a purpose. Heroic BC, for example. Karazhan. We still want to be able to access that content, so will key requirements be removed from those?
90 Human Paladin
I have a keyring?
But how will I travel between Searing Gorge and Loch Modan without my Key to Searing Gorge?!?

Not to mention me and my fellow Blacksmiths are going to be overflowing with skeleton keys.

Edit:
I'll be OK with this if you make the main backpack 30 slots.
Edited by Fatbeard on 5/23/2011 10:11 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
We could actually stand to lose quite a bit of bag space unless an unmentioned compensating adjustment is made. Or lose access to parts of the game if we must give up the keys.

Could we have more clarification on this?
While deep down I understand this change... I continue to wonder why you guys are going down this path. This negative marketing is partly to blame for this dispressing of the community. Remove this... taking away that... the releasing of "features" which have created more backlash towards WoW and Blizzard in the last year than any other time in the history of your products (RealID and Premium LFG).

A removal of something tieing us to the history of our characters is imo a bad approach, HOWEVER, a detailed "change" to (insert removed feature here) would be more accepted. Let me explain with this example...

I understand you stated:

05/23/2011 09:52 AMPosted by Bashiok
We are continuing to work on new ways of allowing you to better manage the storage of various items in the game,

However, you've offered no insight. just at the moment, an empty statement. What needs to change to start to create a more positive lookout from your community is Something like this:

"We are announcing a change to our beloved keyring bag in the coming patch. While the keyring has served it purpose in the past, we now have heard from you that there are other items that are of more importance to seperate storage then keys. So we have changed the keyring to include to the storage of Tabards as well. The "bag" will no longer simply function as a regular bag, but have more of a similar interface to the Archeology tab you see in-game currently."

^ See... this provides a positive approach to a removal of an item from the game. It shows your listening to the customer base by fulfilling a much needed request, and it shows your actually developing in-game improvements to increase customer experience... not just finding ways to nickel and dime us.
Edited by Leafhoof on 5/23/2011 10:17 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]