Patch 4.2: We Bid Thy Keyring Adieu

90 Pandaren Warrior
IDK if this has been mentioned already... I've not read all 15.. no wait...16...ooopss...now 17 pages of posts...

Since this 10x30 pixel space is such a burden on the interface (lol) simply MOVE the keyring to your Character page, put the icon next to the Character Stats, Titles, and Equipment Manager icons. Problem solved.

EDIT: Oh hey.. first post of page 18... wow... HINT HINT.
Edited by Alistania on 5/23/2011 2:24 PM PDT
85 Human Warlock
On a diff char i have that staff and it is awesome plz dont take it away blizz
85 Troll Hunter
I don't get this. with all the problems people talk about on the forums:

-Charging for premium services.
-Archeology being boring as ****.
-Dungeon finder queues still the same lenght despite your attempts at bribing your player base.
-PvE/PvP Balance, instances/Raids too hard/easy, 10 man vs 25 man...

Why are you investing any time in the keyring? Browse the forums. Read the posts from the past few weeks. Before today, did you see anybody complain about the keyring?

I was already extremely disapointed when half my keys disappeared from my keychain when Cataclysm came around (i guess Deathwing needed them for some nefarious purpose). I had fun collecting those. Now in 4.2, the rest of them are going to either be removed, or be sold cause I don't have the bag space.
Edited by Proplyd on 5/23/2011 2:28 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
Please dont remove the keyring. Its stupid an no one likes the idea of removing it.

It only works if you remove every single key in the game
85 Tauren Druid
Can we not have the Keys mailed to us, to let us handle them in the manner and time frame we want?
85 Tauren Druid
So how about that tabard manager :-)
Community Manager
So, just as a reference here are the keys we're currently seeing as ones that will not be converted to gold or removed upon release of the patch -- if you have them they'd be put back into your normal inventory. This isn't necessarily a final list, and it's possible we could cut the list down even further before 4.2 releases.

Grim Guzzler Key (BRD)
Secret Safe Key (BRD)
Dark Keeper Key (BRD)
Relic Coffer Key (BRD)
Jump-A-Tron 4000 Key (Nagrand)
Kolkar Booty Key (Barrens quest)
Ethereum Prison Key (Netherstorm – Blade’s Edge)
Captain’s Key (Tanaris)
Any Blacksmith keys (e.g. Titanium Skeleton Key)
Edited by Bashiok on 5/23/2011 4:12 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Priest
Yeah, we have more bagspace.

In two expansions, we also have acquired more stuff.

SHOCKING! I know, I know, but its strange, the people who like keys PROBABLY picked up more stuff.

PS: You really felt that that tiny space on the UI was SOOO inconveniencing that your talented design team just could not cope with the wasted space on the UI....no, I can't even go there, your design team HAS to be more intelligent/creative than that.

I don't even know what you guys are doing anymore. Maybe this is a prelude to "NEW Premium service: Bigger Backpack! Now you KNOW you want to pay the extra $5 bucks a month to keep those keys!"
Edited by Saraphiell on 5/23/2011 2:34 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
I noticed this on the PTR, and also noticed that several Quest Items I had saved in my bags and bank had disappeared - notably my archmage staff from Netherstorm, my Dartol's Rod of Transformation, etc. Particularly with Dartol's Rod which I believe is no longer attainable, that's quite a big loss for many who still had fun transforming into a furbolg, and I'm sure there are many other quest items people have held onto for various reasons. This explains why they disappeared from my bags on PTR as they must have been recognised as 'quest items' along with the quest item keys that were deleted.
Is there any way you can work around this so items we'd want to keep like the rod and staff won't disappear from our inventories as well? Or if not, perhaps just leave us to delete the quest item keys manually, rather than risking losing those items as well.

Really were gonna lose Dartols rod as well thats sad
90 Worgen Mage
As someone who has played since vanilla and keeps things for sentimental value, IE armor sets in bank from tier 1 to 11 now, im against this. What did these keys do to you!!!!!!!! gimme my keys back!
90 Draenei Priest
I noticed this on the PTR, and also noticed that several Quest Items I had saved in my bags and bank had disappeared - notably my archmage staff from Netherstorm, my Dartol's Rod of Transformation, etc. Particularly with Dartol's Rod which I believe is no longer attainable, that's quite a big loss for many who still had fun transforming into a furbolg, and I'm sure there are many other quest items people have held onto for various reasons. This explains why they disappeared from my bags on PTR as they must have been recognised as 'quest items' along with the quest item keys that were deleted.

:gasp: Not my Archmage Vargoth's staff! :'(
10 Dwarf Shaman
Please don't take away my Kara key, I worked hard for it :(
97 Dwarf Priest
I think most people were concerned that Blizzard was gonna leave in the key requirements for things. Like the heroic BC zones, Kara, etc. And then just dump all those keys into your backpack.

But there is a blue post that has said they are going back and removing all key requirements in past expansions. So we don't need to worry about that anymore. That was my only concern with this, and I'm sure many others as well.
85 Worgen Mage
This is fine and all, but can you PLEASE make sure development time is going into areas that really matter? I'm sure you can come up with many reasons why a KEYRING change is very important, but yanno... I'd rather have an announcement about the achievement system going Battlenet-wde or something. Actually, that's the something. I appreciate work in areas like... keyrings... but I just felt the need to say something. Thanks.

Also, I'm sure it's far too technically difficult and my feeble brain simply wouldn't understand, but why not announce a change like this in tandem with something like "hey, we've FINALLY figured out a way to retrofit our tech so that you may now visit X or Y vendor in major cities to EXPAND YOUR BACKPACK! YAY!" Or even "we've figured out how to tweak our default backpack so that once you hit level 60, 70, 80 and 85 the size will expand accordingly to 18, 20, 22 and YES THAT'S RIGHT 24 SLOTS! WOO!"

Dunno, these breadcrumbs are nice, but that's just my wistful side talking.
Edited by Cohiba on 5/23/2011 2:37 PM PDT
85 Undead Warlock
The keyring didn't just provide space. It provided piece of mind.

Did you ever have to go back for a key, or wait until the 'next run' because you didn't have bag space?

With an ever-expanding keyring, we didn't have to worry about keys. At all.

This change will just make anything that requires any 'kind' of key, quest or otherwise, an overall nuisance...
85 Tauren Druid
This is fine and all, but can you PLEASE make sure development time is going into areas that really matter? I'm sure you can come up with many reasons why a KEYRING change is very important, but yanno... I'd rather have an announcement about the achievement system going Battlenet-wde or something. Actually, that's the something. I appreciate work in areas like... keyrings... but I just felt the need to say something. Thanks.

Also, I'm sure it's far too technically difficult and my feeble brain simply wouldn't understand, but why not announce a change like this in tandem with something like "hey, we've FINALLY figured out a way to retrofit our tech so that you may now visit X or Y vendor in major cities to EXPAND YOUR BACKPACK! YAY!" Or even "we've figured out how to tweak our default backpack so that once you hit level 60, 70, 80 and 85 the size will expand accordingly to 18, 20, 22 and YES THAT'S RIGHT 24 SLOTS! WOO!"

Dunno, these breadcrumbs are nice, but that's just my wistful side talking.

i like the expanding bag when reaching set levels idea.
85 Human Death Knight
"We've dumbed down the game so much that locks don't use keys now, and in fact rarely lock at all! We've decided to remove this feature from when the game was good because we needed to spend development hours, paid for with your subscription, on something insignificant that nobody wanted or asked about while we create new features that we can charge you a premium for!"

WTB the old devs back.
90 Undead Warrior
MAI KEYS!!!
100 Draenei Paladin
05/23/2011 10:49 AMPosted by Bashiok
Also, don't you feel that's rather insulting to your intelligence? That we shouldn't make changes to the game unless we have something new and shiny to draw your attention with? I'd like to think that these changes can be seen with a bit more foresight than the impact of only this immediate minute.

This is going to make a big impact on the skeleton keys I carry to unlock the lockboxes I find out in the world, which still drop in Cataclysm content for your information.

So yes, I think it is insulting that this feature is removed without something better being put into its place. As of now, the keyring is being removed for more user interface space, which is silly considering that so much large features right now are accessed without the use of the GUI (such as Guild Finder, Looking for Raid, War Games). Why not simply keep the keyring and hide the keyring GUI like Guild Finder?

Users don't like features being removed. We especially don't like features being removed that still - despite what Blizzard folk say - still have a useful and relevant purpose in the game.

Lastly, empty promises of possible future expansions to storage space are just that. Empty.

Agreed. This storage space isn't being replaced by anything, and we all know that storage space can be increased by Blizzard at will (hello achievement system, 26 slot bags, currency tab, and mount/pet storage system). This change is really, really bad from a philosophical point of view between the playerbase and the developers.
Edited by Eloderung on 5/23/2011 2:42 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]