Patch 4.2: We Bid Thy Keyring Adieu

100 Blood Elf Paladin
We could actually stand to lose quite a bit of bag space unless an unmentioned compensating adjustment is made. Or lose access to parts of the game if we must give up the keys.

Could we have more clarification on this?

They're removing many more keys than they already have.
BC heroic keys? Sold.
Outdated/removed quest keys? Deleted.

On the day of 4.2, I will have at most 1 key. If I do have that key, I'll just delete it because I don't ever plan to kill Malygos again.
100 Human Rogue
Indifferent rogue is indifferent.
85 Goblin Death Knight
The keyring will be back as a Premium User perk.
Watch.
90 Dwarf Hunter
Keys in my keyring I cant see them doing away with.

Relic coffer keys (BRD coffer runs)
Celestial Planetarium key (algalon)
Key to the Focusing Iris (maly)
Scarab Keys (aq20/40) 1 for each raid
The Eye of Haramad (lets you unlock minibosses in netherstorm)
Violet Hold key (wotlk heroic)
The Master's Key (kara)
5 x BC heroic keys

Thats 13 bag spaces already.
85 Night Elf Warrior
For those of you worried about losing bag space because of this, don't.

With 4.3, Blizzard will implement a new "Key Bag" feature, which will be much more immersive than the current key ring.

*the "Key Bag" will be implemented as premium content
90 Undead Mage
I suppose this is a "Wait and See" kinda thing. I'll blow up then. For now I'm just going to hold my breath.
90 Tauren Druid
If the intent was the save the playerbase hassle, I think you guys missed the mark big time. My paladin is running out of bank/bag space fast as it is, not to mention the skeleton keys he makes. /disappointed
85 Dwarf Rogue
I'll miss collecting them but it's not like they're good for anything anymore. As long as I can get back to where those keys let me go before (Algalon, etc), then it's ok.
Edited by Tinwhisker on 5/23/2011 10:21 AM PDT
85 Tauren Druid
While deep down I understand this change... I continue to wonder why you guys are going down this path. This negative marketing is partly to blame for this dispressing of the community. Remove this... taking away that... the releasing of "features" which have created more backlash towards WoW and Blizzard in the last year than any other time in the history of your products (RealID and Premium LFG).

A removal of something tieing us to the history of our characters is imo a bad approach, HOWEVER, a detailed "change" to (insert removed feature here) would be more accepted. Let me explain with this example...

I understand you stated:

We are continuing to work on new ways of allowing you to better manage the storage of various items in the game,

However, you've offered no insight. just at the moment, an empty statement. What needs to change to start to create a more positive lookout from your community is Something like this:

"We are announcing a change to our beloved keyring bag in the coming patch. While the keyring has served it purpose in the past, we now have heard from you that there are other items that are of more importance to seperate storage then keys. So we have changed the keyring to include to the storage of Tabards as well. The "bag" will no longer simply function as a regular bag, but have more of a similar interface to the Archeology tab you see in-game currently."

^ See... this provides a positive approach to a removal of an item from the game. It shows your listening to the customer base by fulfilling a much needed request, and it shows your actually developing in-game improvements to increase customer experience... not just finding ways to nickel and dime us.

Excellent idea.
Awesome presentation
Engaging tone

Blizzard won't ever consider it.
85 Night Elf Druid
I noticed this on the PTR, and also noticed that several Quest Items I had saved in my bags and bank had disappeared - notably my archmage staff from Netherstorm, my Dartol's Rod of Transformation, etc. Particularly with Dartol's Rod which I believe is no longer attainable, that's quite a big loss for many who still had fun transforming into a furbolg, and I'm sure there are many other quest items people have held onto for various reasons. This explains why they disappeared from my bags on PTR as they must have been recognised as 'quest items' along with the quest item keys that were deleted.
Is there any way you can work around this so items we'd want to keep like the rod and staff won't disappear from our inventories as well? Or if not, perhaps just leave us to delete the quest item keys manually, rather than risking losing those items as well.
86 Blood Elf Death Knight

The Master's Key (kara)
5 x BC heroic keys

I'd hadn't mentioned the WotLK keys or others, and you're right. That's going need addressing or cause significant woe for the older, more widely traveled characters.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
For those of you worried about losing bag space because of this, don't.

With 4.3, Blizzard will implement a new "Key Bag" feature, which will be much more immersive than the current key ring.

*the "Key Bag" will be implemented as premium content #25
5 minutes ago
Like DislikeTrollingSpamReportYou have already rated this item.

man i wanted to say something like this! :P
100 Human Paladin

The Master's Key (kara)
5 x BC heroic keys

Algalon: Players no longer need to complete the quest to access this boss.
Malygos: Players no longer need to complete the quest to access this boss.
Violet Hold: Players no longer need a key to access this dungeon.
The Master's Key: Players no longer need a key to access this dungeon.
BC Heroic keys: Keys are no longer required to access the heroic versions of TBC dungeons.

100 Human Mage
If it requires me to use bag space that will be annoying. If the space from the keyring gets carried over to the default backpack in any way, it'll be worth it.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
You do realize this is just going to inconvenience all the blacksmiths out there who have some of the older keys to open up lockboxes when rogues are too busy ganking in pvp, right?
29 Draenei Paladin
Really this is upsetting, now I will have all the keys I have from leveling BS occupying bag space.

You shouldn't remove the key rings since they are really important to save space for us, now you are forcing us to carry keys, unless you remove keys to enter dungeons and plan making BS also a profession able to use lockpicks without using bag space this idea is bad.

Besides you will make this game bad if you get rid of the keyring, I know a lot of people will be disappointed by this.

Please don't ruin the game.
90 Human Priest
Algalon: Players no longer need to complete the quest to access this boss.
Malygos: Players no longer need to complete the quest to access this boss.
Violet Hold: Players no longer need a key to access this dungeon.
The Master's Key: Players no longer need a key to access this dungeon.
BC Heroic keys: Keys are no longer required to access the heroic versions of TBC dungeons.

Do you have a source for this information?
Edited by Hinomiko on 5/23/2011 10:30 AM PDT
90 Dwarf Hunter
I feel like I'm being punished for holding onto old items. It's like they whole keying system was a one night stand that blizzard is trying to forget ever happened.
100 Tauren Druid
Bashiok, can you maybe go into a little more detail about what keys are staying and what keys are going away? Is it just crafted keys and quest item keys that are staying? That would make sense. Getting rid of the keep-this-forever-just-in-case-you-go-back-to-scholomance type keys would be a good thing.

I just don't want to see any key suddenly taking up permanent residence in my bags.
90 Dwarf Hunter
05/23/2011 10:23 AMPosted by Rosthwaite
I noticed this on the PTR, and also noticed that several Quest Items I had saved in my bags and bank had disappeared - notably my archmage staff from Netherstorm, my Dartol's Rod of Transformation, etc.

OMG thats just crap.

NERF FUN is the only thing that comes to mind when they do stuff like that.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]