Patch 4.2: We Bid Thy Keyring Adieu

85 Blood Elf Paladin
05/23/2011 10:45 AMPosted by Bapo
If they decided that they wanted to be awesome, and change the keyring to a TABARD HOLDER, or add a tabard holder to the character sheet. THAT WOULD BE THE GREATEST THING BLIZZ HAS EVER DONE.
Blizzard doesn't have enough space on their bar to make the keyring into a tabard holder.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/lilmissy4205/World%20of%20Warcraft/Public%20Test%20Realm/ptr42-1.jpg

I made a suggestion to condense some of the buttons, like moving the new Raid button with the Dungeon Finder one and calling it... oh I don't know, Looking for Group? As is, there are two new buttons that are taking up the space for keyring/tabard holder: Raid (which is found in the social frame) and Dungeon Journal.

They won't think to merge PVE together like they did with PVP. Too much work.
90 Troll Hunter
Just to reiterate, since there's now a place for official feedback, I don't think this is a good change unless it also includes the removal of the requirement for the keys that now no longer have a place to go.

TBC Heroic Dungeon Keys, The Key to the Focusing Iris, Arcatraz, Karazhan, etc. If the keyring is obsolete than the keys that used to go into it should also be made obsolete.
1 Troll Mage
I can understand wanting to remove unneeded keys and keys left over from quests.

However, I don't understand removing storage space from people who are asking for more storage space. My blacksmith has over 20 stacks of assorted skeleton keys in addition to the other keys accumulated over time.

Why are you breaking something that is currently working? Why not just remove the keys that are no longer needed but leave the keyring in place until everything else gets sorted out?

To me this is a couple of steps backwards.

Edit: Make the Skeleton Keys stack to 200 or 250 to compensate for the removal of the keyring.
Edited by Førüm on 5/23/2011 10:53 AM PDT
69 Worgen Hunter
So after 6 years the only thing stopping you guys from making interface changes and improvements was my keys?

I want to keep my keys, I enjoy the RP, quests, and experiences I had obtaining said keys, they are kind of like a ..key to my past. Leave my Nostalgia alone
92 Undead Mage
No, you know, like when your mind is in a bottle.

Is that why Zarhym is so weird? He keeps his mind in a bottle?

This could be a really good chance depending on how many keys are actually no longed needed to so stuff, like the BC heroic keys, summoning Malygos key .etc.
Edited by Elivana on 5/23/2011 10:53 AM PDT
87 Gnome Warlock
05/23/2011 10:43 AMPosted by Saamus
What about all my blacksmithing keys? I don't have a lot of bag room as it is. If the key ring is going away, give us more bank room so I can free up some bag space for my keys.
This was my first thought. This is terrible news to all of the blacksmiths.
85 Orc Warrior
After much debate on MMO-C I decided I was in dislike only because a hasted response.

Majority of keys that I see a requirement to would most likely be removed.

I.E. - TBC Instance Keys, Remove the key and apply rep requirement to the portal.

So on and so on, Only keys I see much value too were Kara, Malygos and Agalon..

I support this choice, out with the old in with the new, Tabard system blizzard? ;)

eh? ehh? ehhh??? You know you wanna :P

- Versedal
85 Tauren Priest
Also, don't you feel that's rather insulting to your intelligence? That we shouldn't make changes to the game unless we have something new and shiny to draw your attention with?

It's not like you don't already do it. And in some cases there is NO "new and shiny" thing to draw our attention.

That's his point. You shouldn't need something new and shiny. Or maybe it's a perspective thing. Hey, I'd consider not needing a lot of keys as "shiny" if not "new." But keyring removal does still pose some problems, even if BC-era keys are no longer going to be needed.
Edited by Tomaj on 5/23/2011 10:56 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
05/23/2011 10:49 AMPosted by Bashiok
Also, don't you feel that's rather insulting to your intelligence? That we shouldn't make changes to the game unless we have something new and shiny to draw your attention with? I'd like to think that these changes can be seen with a bit more foresight than the impact of only this immediate minute.

I don't think so. Most of the time when you're having conversations with people with 'bad news', they generally say "I have good news and I have bad news".

Something being taken away, even if it isn't used often, is bad news in most cases.
85 Tauren Death Knight
05/23/2011 09:52 AMPosted by Bashiok
This change could also potentially allow us to play around with the amount of default storage space you’re allotted down the road.

I personally don't see a good reason to remove the keyring, but I do like how you said "potentially allow."

So if I got this right, Blizz is going remove the keyring and force us to carry select keys that are deemed still usefull. On the hope that at some point (maybe never) they MIGHT do something to the amount of default storage space we have.

I dunno, I'm reading this as Blizz knows we have storage space issues. As a "fix" we get to carry more stuff in said inventory, and have them dangle a carrot of hope in front of us that this will actually serve some real useful purpose down the road.
100 Undead Mage
05/23/2011 10:50 AMPosted by Bashiok

That would be boggling, "mind boggling 18 slots."

No, you know, like when your mind is in a bottle.

I knew you'd get someone with that reference. Well played.
58 Troll Death Knight
I dont see why we cant keep the keyring, its already ingame live and its a nice little help for quest items (keys).

Anyways, in short i dont get the "need to remove keyring" when its already ingame live. Next removing lvl85 zulgurub/zulaman?
Someone stated earlier on Wowhead that the PTR so far sees several "issues." While they can get into BC heroics they cannot enter Karazahn (Without the help of a rogue, BS, or Engineer) without the Master's Key and cannot enter the Violet Citadel without that key you get via a short quest chain.

I anticipate being locked out of a lot of areas when this ridiculous change happens. Unless this is the herald of an upgradeable backpack or something I am not pleased.

Here are the things I'm worried about here:

10/25 Keys (Malygos and Algalon, how will these work? Not only how will they "work," but how will people who only have the 10 man be treated?)
Karazahn
The Arcatraz
Violet Hold
How will I activate the Jump-a-tron 4000 for Trampolooza 2011?
Shadow Labs, assuming you still need the key now, which I'm not sure of.

Also, may I suggest not destroying old keys but simply moving ALL our keys to our inventory if you go through with this, let the players decide what they want to keep? You don't destroy out of date holiday items, why destroy this simply because it has no effect in the game? I spent ages more than I would like to admit freeing Knot in Dire Maul and I'm not going to lie, I wanted to keep my last Gordok Shackle Key forever. What does having me keep a sentimental key do to break the game?

85 Human Death Knight
We still have a number of keys that serve a purpose. Heroic BC, for example. Karazhan. We still want to be able to access that content, so will key requirements be removed from those?

Key requirements are removed from the examples you gave, and should be for all other similar examples. Our intent is not to remove the Keyring and then throw a bunch of keys into your normal bags, so we're going through and making changes to more or less finalize the move away from using keys that began midway through Burning Crusade.

However, you've offered no insight. just at the moment, an empty statement. What needs to change to start to create a more positive lookout from your community is Something like this:

"We are announcing a change to our beloved keyring bag in the coming patch. While the keyring has served it purpose in the past, we now have heard from you that there are other items that are of more importance to seperate storage then keys. So we have changed the keyring to include to the storage of Tabards as well. The "bag" will no longer simply function as a regular bag, but have more of a similar interface to the Archeology tab you see in-game currently."

^ See... this provides a positive approach to a removal of an item from the game. It shows your listening to the customer base by fulfilling a much needed request, and it shows your actually developing in-game improvements to increase customer experience... not just finding ways to nickel and dime us.

We definitely like the idea of tabard management. We continue to like what they bring to the game, but they're obviously a big inventory management issue. If we had such an announcement to make, though, we would have. We're not going to hold off on removing an antiquated system just because we don't have a new inventory management system.

Also, don't you feel that's rather insulting to your intelligence? That we shouldn't make changes to the game unless we have something new and shiny to draw your attention with? I'd like to think that these changes can be seen with a bit more foresight than the impact of only this immediate minute.

So instead of doing something you think will insult our intelligence, you choose to do something that you know will annoy the playerbase. You said yourself that there is currently no change being made other than the removal of the keyring. Why not wait to remove the keyring until whatever change you could potentially make is ready to go live?
Edited by Tyrathius on 5/23/2011 11:01 AM PDT
100 Human Mage
Searing gorge gate is gone...It also sounds like the are removing the need for most other keys. I really hope my bags don't fill up with the keys I still might need.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
05/23/2011 10:49 AMPosted by Bashiok
We still have a number of keys that serve a purpose. Heroic BC, for example. Karazhan. We still want to be able to access that content, so will key requirements be removed from those?

Key requirements are removed from the examples you gave, and should be for all other similar examples. Our intent is not to remove the Keyring and then throw a bunch of keys into your normal bags, so we're going through and making changes to more or less finalize the move away from using keys that began midway through Burning Crusade.

Did I read this right? You're finally getting rid of BC heroic keys??
90 Undead Warlock
Weak.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]