Patch 4.2: We Bid Thy Keyring Adieu

If there's even 1 key left after 4.2, then this move is totally unwelcome by me. I do not want any keys in my bags. They've no business there. You should find some other way to put in whatever it is you were going to put in, if you leave any keys in the game.
85 Tauren Priest
10/25 Keys (Malygos and Algalon, how will these work? Not only how will they "work," but how will people who only have the 10 man be treated?)
Karazahn
The Arcatraz
Violet Hold
How will I activate the Jump-a-tron 4000 for Trampolooza 2011?
Shadow Labs, assuming you still need the key now, which I'm not sure of.

Just as a note, Arc, Shattered Halls and SLab actually do not need a key *currently*. Like, on Live. (Just recently did my Kara key chain on this toon, otherwise I wouldn't know.)
Edited by Tomaj on 5/23/2011 11:04 AM PDT
100 Draenei Warrior
Removing the keyring causes more of an inconvenience to me. Why? Because I still run BC heroics and Kara. I like having the keys in a separate bag. I don't want them in my inventory. There's not a significant enough difference between 18 slot bags and the 22 slot bags to warrant dumping all those keys *back* into my bags. While larger bags are available, they still haven't reached the point I'm willing to pay for them. I'm pretty sure I end up losing space this way, when taking into account BC heroics, Kara, Maly, and keys for various dungeons and raids (like the AQ coffer keys and the BRD relic coffer keys). And it adds significantly more clutter. My bank is already full. Even if it weren't, I don't want to have to store keys in the bank and go back and forth to get them, especially when it's already difficult enough to get to BC areas and LK areas when Stormwind is used as a hub.

This is another change that, once again, benefits NO ONE, and simply inconveniences the players who like to collect things and who have appreciation for and run the older content.

Unless the heroic dungeons no longer need rep and a key to run. I know the post above me talks about certain dungeons not needing keys, but those keys are different from the key needed to actually run the heroic versions of the dungeon. I didn't have time to test on the PTR when I logged in. If the heroic keys are no longer required to run the BC heroics, and the key for Maly is no longer required to start that, then most of my complaint will be irrelevant.
Edited by Addyison on 5/23/2011 11:06 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
Also, may I suggest not destroying old keys but simply moving ALL our keys to our inventory if you go through with this, let the players decide what they want to keep? You don't destroy out of date holiday items, why destroy this simply because it has no effect in the game? I spent ages more than I would like to admit freeing Knot in Dire Maul and I'm not going to lie, I wanted to keep my last Gordok Shackle Key forever. What does having me keep a sentimental key do to break the game?

I definitely agree with this. I save things because they are meaningful, not necessarily because they are useful.

Why not wait to remove the keyring until whatever change you had to take it out for is ready to go live?

I agree. Since you need bar space for the Dungeon Journal, just remove the button for the keyring. Allow people to still hot-key it and you don't have to worry about all the other changes.
85 Tauren Priest
05/23/2011 11:02 AMPosted by Tekòta
That's his point. You shouldn't need something new and shiny. Or maybe it's a perspective thing. Hey, I'd consider not needing a lot of keys as "shiny" if not "new." But keyring removal does still pose some problems, even if BC-era keys are no longer going to be needed.

Wrong. His point was that if they take something away, giving us something new would seem like they're admitting to making a mistake or taking us for fools by sidestepping the issue. Which, like I just said, they already do.

As Aluri said, getting bad news AND good news is better than just getting bad news.

So, in other words, you're reading between lines that actually aren't there.
10/25 Keys (Malygos and Algalon, how will these work? Not only how will they "work," but how will people who only have the 10 man be treated?)
Karazahn
The Arcatraz
Violet Hold
How will I activate the Jump-a-tron 4000 for Trampolooza 2011?
Shadow Labs, assuming you still need the key now, which I'm not sure of.

Just as a note, Arc, Shattered Halls and SLab actually do not need a key *currently*. Like, on Live. (Just recently did my Kara key chain on this toon, otherwise I wouldn't know.)

Good to know, admittedly I haven't checked those out recently. (Though actually I think I do remember being surprised by that in Shattered Halls a while back.)

My biggest worry is still over my Gordok Key and Algalon/Malygos. :o
55 Dwarf Death Knight
Mah keys!

Key to Searing Gorge

I will miss them. :(

85 Blood Elf Paladin
05/23/2011 11:03 AMPosted by Tikky
If there's even 1 key left after 4.2, then this move is totally unwelcome by me. I do not want any keys in my bags. They've no business there. You should find some other way to put in whatever it is you were going to put in, if you leave any keys in the game.
You do realize that blacksmiths are able to make keys to open lockboxes, right? And they exist with Cata release. It's even trainer taught. Obsidium Skeleton Key. So blacksmith keys will be left in bag spaces.
85 Human Paladin
Honestly I'm still depressed over them removing my beloved Keymaster Achivement. Now... this.

I loved getting those keys; I had a lot of fun getting my key for Karazhan, my key for Scholomance, I remember being so happy when I was picked to get the key in Naxx. Making the key for UBRS ... getting all the gems, etc.

I wish you would add keys back IN not take them out :( - instead we click and are instantly at an instance then instantly back in Stormwind. The world has become so small now.
85 Tauren Druid
05/23/2011 11:06 AMPosted by Tomaj

Wrong. His point was that if they take something away, giving us something new would seem like they're admitting to making a mistake or taking us for fools by sidestepping the issue. Which, like I just said, they already do.

As Aluri said, getting bad news AND good news is better than just getting bad news.

So, in other words, you're reading between lines that actually aren't there.

Nope was just telling you what his actual point was.
90 Human Paladin
dumbing down the game some more, take away all the little things that make things interesting; treasure chest, keys... /sigh
90 Human Paladin
I'm in agreement that this announcement does a very poor job of explaining this seemingly cosmetic change and why it's up in 4.2. How do BS keys function, for example? Will they go to inventory or be scrapped?

On top of of other recent changes I'm getting alarmed by the overall direction the design devs are taking.

Without the keys you've removed the Lore and exploration needed to unlock dungeons - or heroic modes of dungeons. Heck, even finding the entrances of dungeon sites was deemed too onerous for folks. Since there's real reason to quest or anything now, why not just remove the continents? There's barely anyone out there now anyways.

And heck, the other cities are empty too...it's too much for Blizzard to ask to occasionally go to another city or complete a questline to unlock a dungeon afterall...why not just get rid of everything other than Stormwind and Orgrimmar?

Heck, knock off a few more features and just call this GuildWars: WoW at the rate the richness of WoW is being stripped. A fortune would be saved with all the removed art assets.

Still, in all seriousness, I've seen all these other recent changes as reasonable QoL improvements. But this one, as trivial as it is, has me rather alarmed. At what point has enough been stripped? When will enough of the richness of WoW have been stripped to satisfy the current design regime?
05/23/2011 10:49 AMPosted by Bashiok
We definitely like the idea of tabard management. We continue to like what they bring to the game, but they're obviously a big inventory management issue. If we had such an announcement to make, though, we would have. We're not going to hold off on removing an antiquated system just because we don't have a new inventory management system.

Then why make this change before you have an acceptable replacement? Not just removing something from the product?

05/23/2011 10:49 AMPosted by Bashiok
Also, don't you feel that's rather insulting to your intelligence? That we shouldn't make changes to the game unless we have something new and shiny to draw your attention with? I'd like to think that these changes can be seen with a bit more foresight than the impact of only this immediate minute.

At this moment in time of WoW... no. Unlike what you guys at Blizzard may think, your image isn't the greatest right now. The current team is looked at as money grabbers with anymore to do then develope this product into the toilet. The idea that you think a widely requested and MUCH overdue feature is "shiny" should give the customer base some insight into the present state of mind at Blizzard.

At this time Bashiok... my example is NOT "new and shiny"... it would be a small step in trying to get the confidence back from your customer base that you are trying to improve the product, and also not nickel and diming us.
Edited by Leafhoof on 5/23/2011 11:10 AM PDT
90 Dwarf Hunter
Will we be getting any sort of recognition (FoS) for these keys? Don't do a repeat of Keymaster on us.
Blizz, as others have stated, many of us have sentimental attachments to the keys we've collected. I think you could avoid a lot of heartache and forum management if you do one of two things:

1. Go back and give everyone who had keymaster their Feat of Strength. I realize this might be impossible.
2. When this goes live turn all the keys into white items. Similar to what you did with Mallet of Zul'Farrak This way we can decide for ourselves what to keep and what to vendor.

Or do both of these and I doubt anyone will complain much. You certainly won't see epic threads about it for weeks on end.
90 Night Elf Druid
Blizz, as others have stated, many of us have sentimental attachments to the keys we've collected. I think you could avoid a lot of heartache and forum management if you do one of two things:

1. Go back and give everyone who had keymaster their Feat of Strength. I realize this might be impossible.
2. When this goes live turn all the keys into white items. Similar to what you did with Mallet of Zul'Farrak This way we can decide for ourselves what to keep and what to vendor.

Or do both of these and I doubt anyone will complain much. You certainly won't see epic threads about it for weeks on end.

The third biggest complaint is from blacksmiths. So, make keys stack to ridiculous amounts as well.

The third biggest complaint is from blacksmiths. So, make keys stack to ridiculous amounts as well.

Or remove the need for BS keys completely. Just let appropriate level blacksmiths open the boxes.
90 Tauren Druid
What keys *will* be ending up in our bags?

I'm already stressed on bag space as it is, with my personal bank full of holiday stuff and my bags carrying three full sets of equipment (resto, balance, pvp). I don't need more precious bag space being used for key storage - that was what the keyring was *designed* for.

Edited for asked and answered.
Edited by Sente on 5/23/2011 1:14 PM PDT
87 Gnome Warlock
[quote]The third biggest complaint is from blacksmiths. So, make keys stack to ridiculous amounts as well.
Yes. Just to be safe, I would like a 1000 stack like the old ammo.
90 Night Elf Druid

Or remove the need for BS keys completely. Just let appropriate level blacksmiths open the boxes.

Much smoother idea.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]